• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
why do they need it to be cheaper when most gamers will go with the overall faster option ? the 7700k is the gaming chip of the moment ryzen wont change that.

The go to gaming chip, which is in most games in the past 18-24 months, slower than 8/10 core Broadwell-E which itself looks slower than Zen with slower clock speeds than Zen at WAY way way lower prices? Just saying gaming chip of the moment or king of gaming doesn't make it so.

Soldato
The go to gaming chip, which is in most games in the past 18-24 months, slower than 8/10 core Broadwell-E which itself looks slower than Zen with slower clock speeds than Zen at WAY way way lower prices? Just saying gaming chip of the moment or king of gaming doesn't make it so.

You forget its all about MOAR MHZ,you see. These are the same experts who said people should buy an E8400 over a Q6600,or to buy a Core i5 over a Core i7,etc.

Caporegime

it is.its that simple.only real game which is modern isnt a amd benchmark tool and uses the cores to proper effect which masses play is bf1.i7 7700k will be better ingaming on avg than anything else. including ryzen.now the thing is multicore is more useful for some but many gamers just want the best performance across the board.intel 7700k has that.doesnt matter if its 3 fps or 5 if its quicker and priced similar they will buy it. amd chips will do well they marketed them very cleverly this time.often they not done this well. by limiting any kind of real benchmarks and cranking up the hype you can see people are buying blindly across the world.

so well played amd.very good sales plan.7700k will still be better for gaming though.

Soldato
it is.its that simple.only real game which is modern isnt a amd benchmark tool and uses the cores to proper effect which masses play is bf1.i7 7700k will be better ingaming on avg than anything else. including ryzen.now the thing is multicore is more useful for some but many gamers just want the best performance across the board.intel 7700k has that.doesnt matter if its 3 fps or 5 if its quicker and priced similar they will buy it. amd chips will do well they marketed them very cleverly this time.often they not done this well. by limiting any kind of real benchmarks and cranking up the hype you can see people are buying blindly across the world.

so well played amd.very good sales plan.7700k will still be better for gaming though.

Who will buy it? The people you are talking about, the high end gaming market are people that post on this forum and other similar ones. They are even posting in this very thread.

You seem to think there is this market out there who go to brick and mortar stores and get convinced by some marketing.

Soldato
Who will buy it? The people you are talking about, the high end gaming market are people that post on this forum and other similar ones.

You seem to think there is this market out there who go to brick and mortar stores and get convinced by some marketing.

For someone who thinks Ryzen is rubbish he seems to like posting a lot in a Ryzen thread.LOL.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato

"Better" is subjective though.

I can see the AMD R5 1600x 6c/12t (£260) and 1400x 4c/8t (£200) being just as good in most games as the 1700/1700x/1800x at the moment

If they offer 80-90% of the performance of an i7 7700k at anywhere between £60-£150 cheaper then to me it's no competition, the "better" CPU for me is the one that offers 80-90% of the performance for significantly cheaper

Soldato
Ther other thing to note is that if you are buying a new motherboard, AM4 will be better than 1151 going forward.

I doubt Cannon Lake will be on 1151.

Soldato

I can see the AMD R5 1600x 6c/12t (£260) and 1400x 4c/8t (£200) being just as good in most games as the 1700/1700x/1800x at the moment

If they offer 80-90% of the performance of an i7 7700k at anywhere between £60-£150 cheaper then to me it's no competition, the "better" CPU for me is the one that offers 80-90% of the performance for significantly cheaper

Its not even that - £100 saved is £100 towards a better graphics card. £150 would easily mean the difference between a GTX1060 and a GTX1070 for instance.

Associate
well i'm just happy this has shaken up the CPU market, its a win win for everyone whether an AMD or intel fan... lets not fall down to the GPU fan boys levels in this thread :) haha

Soldato
For someone who thinks Ryzen is rubbish he seems to like posting a lot in a Ryzen thread.LOL.

Also I love the argument that he makes that people are buying blindly in order to justify why there is a contradiction in people's actions and what he believes to be true.

And yet he knows the 7700k is better and the gaming chip of choice. Surely that is an equally blind statement.

Soldato

Absolutely, i'm not seeing any justification or purpose for the r7 as a gaming cpu. Maybe the next stepping if the r7's manage 4.5-4.8ghz it'll be worth it, but they just aren't clocking high enough at the moment. The 6c are going to be the best value and even a 4c8t is going to deliver brilliant gaming results for it's price, which in turn will help towards funding of a gpu.

Caporegime

Again from the links in the previous post, pcgamer has the 7700k even overclocked showing a 5fps gain on a 3Ghz base clock, 3.5Ghz single core boost 6950k. So where do you think a 3.6Ghz base clock 1800x will end up?

In the other link, at lower resolution and settings, in DX11 the 7700k loses at both resolutions, in DX12 the 7700k wins in 720p but loses in 1080p.

But that is one of two wins(if you can call it a win) the 7700k shows. However across say 10 games, it loses the majority of games. It's that simple, most gamers don't in fact play a single game and winning in most games, and winning more of the most modern games is simply showing that more than 4 cores is not just a waste, but provides the best performance.

As for the ridiculous biased nature of what you're saying, the only one of all those games that isn't an AMD benchmark is BF1 lol... like Civilization, Fallout 4, Far Cry, The Witcher 3... sure, all AMD benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom