• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I am surprised to see 4.4Ghz tho, though that level of overclock was apparently very difficult? it can't be that difficult if Gigabyte have it as a push button feature.
Just turn it up to 11 and you have 4.4Ghz? Pair that with 3200Mhz RAM and Ryzen would be a monster desktop. I'm sooo tempted to pre order, but it goes against what I believe and just pumps up prices and give retails an easy ride.

4.4GHZ on an auto-overclock function and even 3GHZ+ RAM support on at least the R7 1700X/1800X - I thought we were informed none of this was possible??

Soldato
4.4GHZ on an auto-overclock function and even 3GHZ+ RAM support on at least the R7 1700X/1800X - I thought we were informed none of this was possible??

Informed by a random forum post with no real information; which was clarified by Asus directly saying High speed memory only support on their top tier motherboards.

Also that a fix for high mem is coming via a BIOS update. Gigabyte have already released said updates on the downloads pages for their own motherboards. ;)

Associate
I wonder, if AMD has planned to keep the same sockets for the future CPUs, could it be that the auto overclock feature could be for the next generations of the chip? If what Gibbo says is true, it would seem that overclocking is not the chips strong point.

Edit- as above, perhaps we just haven't seen the full potential of Ryzen, hence the NDA being behind pre-orders.

Soldato
Informed by a random forum post with no real information; which was clarified by Asus directly saying High speed memory only support on their top tier motherboards.

Also that a fix for high mem is coming via a BIOS update. Gigabyte have already released said updates on the downloads pages for their own motherboards. ;)

But that's the point though - everyone was reading into the R7 1700 results regarding overclocking and memory clocks. Even look at the BIOS updates,etc - we don't even know if AMD even has additional updates for the CPUs rushed out at the last minute.

Look at even the final clockspeeds for the R7 1600X - they were 300MHZ higher than every leak out there.

Soldato
Sod it, ordered a 1700X, Asrock Taichi and an 960 evo 500GB. Order went wrong the first time, OC website said my bank declined the payment, then I got an SMS from the bank asking if I had tried to purchase and reply Y if yes, second time it went through OK :D

Going to pair it with a Noctua D15 for now, if it gets too toasty I'll look at a new case and a good AiO or finally go proper watercooled.

Noctua D15 is king daddy, will perform just as well, if not better, than any AIO. Don't believe the marketing fluff, top end air coolers are just as good as AIOs. Custom loop full watercooling is a different ball game altogether, but obviously costs a pretty penny.

Soldato
The way I see it is because of Intel pricing we have been stuck on 4 cores for way to long. These days CPU upgrade cycle is 3-5 years, therefore it makes sense to get 8 core going forward. My next CPU will be an AMD 8 or maybe a 10 core if they bring it with Zen+ and will last me a very long time.

Also AMD needs to be rewarded for improving price for performance. We need a strong AMD for better prices.

Exactly my thoughts too. No less than 8 core will do considering I will have the cpu for a long time and have already been on a 4 core for the last 4 years. The hyperthreading just makes it even better.

Associate
I'm I'm super hoping these CPUs will be a massive success for AMD but II aways get slightly nervous of any product that has preorders before NDA lifts for performance/reviews
Edit- as above, perhaps we just haven't seen the full potential of Ryzen, hence the NDA being behind pre-orders.

Ryan shrout had a talk with AMD, and he asked them why did they do Pre-Orers on Ryzen.
so basicaly, Oem and system builders, needed numbers to quantify their initial commands, problem is AMD does not have any numbers, since they have nothing in history for the last decade, so pre-orders were to gauge the demand.
makes sense.

Soldato
Noctua D15 is king daddy, will perform just as well, if not better, than any AIO. Don't believe the marketing fluff, top end air coolers are just as good as AIOs. Custom loop is a different ball game altogether, but obviously costs a pretty penny.

Proper cooling can help negate vcore required and help overclocking. A 360mm rad solution vs a D15 could well be night and day.

Caporegime
Ryan shrout had a talk with AMD, and he asked them why did they do Pre-Orers on Ryzen.
so basicaly, Oem and system builders, needed numbers to quantify their initial commands, problem is AMD does not have any numbers, since they have nothing in history for the last decade, so pre-orders were to gauge the demand.
makes sense.

There was a #### load of OEM System Builder PC's stacked up at the RyZen event.........

Soldato

Informed. Horrible use of the word. BioStar are offering 3600Mhz out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom