• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
I take it my old h100 will not work on a Ryzen processor.
The Asus Crosshair VI Hero has backwards compatibility, so you can use any AM3 cooler or you can get a specific bracket for AM4 for other mobos.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_rog_am4_crosshair_vi_hero_preview/1

AM3/AM4 Cooler Support

One of the biggest selling points of this motherboard is its support for both AM4 and AM3 compatible coolers, with mounting holes for both CPU socket designs. This will allow users to continue using their existing cooling setup and will give them a wider range of cooling options of they choose to upgrade their cooling setup.

Right now most coolers require an AM4 upgrade kit, which could take a considerable amount of time and money to acquire quickly.

It is a shame that more motherboard manufacturers have not included mounts for both CPU cooler types, as that would have made the upgrading process much simpler for a large number of users.

Last edited:
Soldato
And so it begins
Actually is 1 shop doing it's monthly sales promotion.
In addition if you see the prices, 6900K is $1000, 6950X is $1600 and so no.
No price changes of what other US stores had.

BioStar support 3600Mhz.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=874#memorysupport
Anyone looking for a free X99 system :p

Sent an email today to my brother, if he can find anyone who wants he 6700K (undelided) & Z170 Formula OC before. If none found I will put it on MM when I have the 1800X on my hands. :)
And who ever buys the bundle will get a still sealed delid tool. Not needed any more :p

I'm starting to think these pair are the same person and just trolling! :p
8Pack is a pretty strong guy. I would suggest not make such statements. :D

I look after a system that controls these. Standard security check
AHA. You are the Intel agent who asks everyone to reconsider their new AMD order???????
What's next? Inform them that they aren't allowed to buy AMD products with their credit cards? :p

I wonder, if AMD has planned to keep the same sockets for the future CPUs, could it be that the auto overclock feature could be for the next generations of the chip? If what Gibbo says is true, it would seem that overclocking is not the chips strong point.
Edit- as above, perhaps we just haven't seen the full potential of Ryzen, hence the NDA being behind pre-orders.

YES. According to AMD they are committed with the socket and the AM4 will live for the whole four years circle of the Ryzen products, until we have the new ones some time in 2021. And it will work with both the CPUs and APUs. Hence you see many of them sporting HDMI, DPs etc already now. Also the AM4 boards, do support the Summit Ridge APUs. (the AM4 Athlons etc).

Soldato
I take it these are legit. Single threaded benchmarks?

Cinebench-R15-Single-Threaded.png

Soldato
the better option is obvious . if you a gamer.its the fastest/ best performance in games which is a i7 7700k on avg over everything.its quite clear cut.yes you get a better probable all round system for multitasking with teh ryzen but for performance on gaming platforms the i7 7700k will be the choice.

that is not what you said in the post I quoted.

~>Dg<~ said:
if someone is a gamer they go with top performance.for their money.

I've highlighted the bit you seem to have forgotten.
for their money

which is quite clearly Ryzen. is that or is it not what you said?? ;)

Soldato
Exactly, as mentioned before by even Gibbo; it'll depend on motherboard to support the top end memory configs. Just like with Intel motherboards; the higher-end the more features and performance support.

Thats the thing,until we get final review motherboards and updates for the CPU,I think it was premature to think Ryzen might not support faster RAM on better motherboards,and the same goes with overclocking too as most of the results were validation samples or the R7 1700. If this is anything like an AMD GPU launch,they are probably were tweaking the whole platform down to days before launch,and it would not surprise me in the weeks after that we will see more of the same. Plus going by prior AMD CPUs,there are times when latency was just as important as pure clockspeed. The other aspect is the SKUs - it would not surprise me one bit the R7 1800X are the best samples for not only clockspeed but even memory controller overclocking.

Soldato
Soldato
Depending memory, the 7700K can do 197. However we know the 1800X can do 163 with crappy motherboard and memory from the AMD presentation.
Nothing new. Check the multi core though :)

Was just curious, Its pretty close to intels amazing "7700k". That to me suggests there will legit be 2-3fps differences between the two chips in games apart from those that muti thread/use more than 4core.

Associate
Also ppl should consider that especially with the arrival of dx12 and vulcan Multi-threading will become much more important in terms of gaming. So i say think twice before telling ppl that 7700 is the future of gaming ...

Back
Top Bottom