• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
If you play single thread 8 year old games, yes go buy a Kaby Lake.
Few pages back we posted numerous Kaby lake gaming reviews (15 games had one of them) against other CPUs. Is very interesting read, complete negating the argument "Kabylake is better for gaming"
One of the review showed that argument when used overclocked 7700K to 5.1Ghz. Way more than the significant majority of the users will ever try.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. We are in an era of where few games make effective use of more than 4 cores and plenty rely on less.

Perhaps in a few years time we'll need more cores but I've said it once and I'll say it again. Most modern enthusiast cpus are overkill for current games. It's the GPU where you'll see most benefits.

If Ryzen or intel offer a few more frames yet both are well over 90 it starts to become somewhat irrelevant.

Soldato
That doesn't surprise me one bit, and that's the reason why I will be switching back to AMD even though I only have a 4 month old 6700k

Soldato
Unfortunately it's not that simple. We are in an era of where few games make effective use of more than 4 cores and plenty rely on less.

Perhaps in a few years time we'll need more cores but I've said it once and I'll say it again. Most modern enthusiast cpus are overkill for current games. It's the GPU where you'll see most benefits.

Streaming while playing games with options on watching your own stream on a second (or third) monitor depending on how seriously you do it
Multiplayer games

Those will benefit.

Raw fps in single player benchmarks? Nah.

Soldato
raw fps will only be an issue where you want crazy framerate at stupidly low res. Otherwise even if the Ryzen is only 90-95% of kaby - it's perfectly fine for gaming on and is better in every other way (cores, threads, heat). That's still to be looked at though. FPS is still much more GPU dependent in the majority of cases, so long as the CPU can deliver "reasonably well" - which even pretty conservative estimates look to have the Ryzen doing.

The max clock of each will be interesting too (I genuinely believe IPC will be a wash). If the clock range is very similar to Kaby, then it's silicon lottery on each side with again, one side having double cores/threads, overclocking across the range (XFR too) and less heat.

The "is it better than a Kaby Lake single thread" is going to depend very much on what your Kaby chip can do vs what Ryzen can do in similar (cooling setup) circumstances. There will be plenty of goalpost moving from both sides I'm sure but IF, (highlighted to be sure) at the end of the day, the "average" Ryzen chip clocks higher than the "average" Kaby at roughly the same IPC, for most, that's it won on all fronts.

Associate
I guess as long as he doesn't show/say any results, it should be safe...?
Although I guess if he jumps up & down after a test with glee, kind of gives it away something good happened ;p

Back
Top Bottom