• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
In the quarterly earnings call yesterday, AMD's CEO Lisa Su revealed that:

• Enterprise dual socket boards are now running Zen processors in both AMD labs and customer labs.
  • Zen for servers will ship Q1 2017, Zen for desktop will ship in limited volumes in Q4 2016.
OCUK: I call dibs on the first Zen desktop processor you guys sell. :D

Soldato
In the quarterly earnings call yesterday, AMD's CEO Lisa Su revealed that:

• Enterprise dual socket boards are now running Zen processors in both AMD labs and customer labs.
  • Zen for servers will ship Q1 2017, Zen for desktop will ship in limited volumes in Q4 2016.
OCUK: I call dibs on the first Zen desktop processor you guys sell. :D

Oh no you don't - I know how capitalism works. I WILL PAY MORE THAN AKARYPID! GIVE IT TO ME!

Soldato
Crossing my fingers AMD pull a masterstroke of marketing a leave the chip interconnect intact on consumer Zen. Dual socket ROG board anyone? :D

Some will say this would eat into their workstation/server market (which is frankly nonexistent), but imo people who lust over stuff like having 16c 32t would have probably just bought Intel anyway

Soldato
I've been holding off going onto x99. So I'm giving AMD an attempt to wow me.

They will be competing on cores and price, we already know it's slower than Haswell.

No idea what people think AMD can do with no money and a crap foundry. If the 480 wasn't a wake-up call I don't know what will be.

Soldato
They will be competing on cores and price, we already know it's slower than Haswell.

No idea what people think AMD can do with no money and a crap foundry. If the 480 wasn't a wake-up call I don't know what will be.

Athlon/Duron and A64 were a surprise to everyone, especially Intel. It's an oft punted "fact" that Intel's marketing budget is far in excess of AMDs R&D expenditure

Soldato
I would really like to upgrade, but it has to be worthwhile. Want to see what Zen is like when it comes out vs whatever Intel has to offer at that point. Seems like forever since they announced Zen :( Intel seem to have had lots of new revisions since AMD. (IvyBridge/haswell etc etc).

Soldato
Oh? no one else knows, you must have one, spill the beans. :D

By "we" do you mean you and the magic fairy that sits on your shoulder and tells you these things?

By AMD's own published numbers it's best-case slower than Haswell. But keep falling back on the "it's not even out yet you don't know" crap, maybe that magic fairy will intervene and sprinkle some pixie dust on them.

It's not exactly a speed demon either: http://www.kitguru.net/components/c...amples-are-floating-around-specs-leak-online/

The hype train is headed for another huge disappointment if you don't pull that brake lever soon.

Caporegime
By AMD's own published numbers it's best-case slower than Haswell. But keep falling back on the "it's not even out yet you don't know" crap, maybe that magic fairy will intervene and sprinkle some pixie dust on them.

It's not exactly a speed demon either: http://www.kitguru.net/components/c...amples-are-floating-around-specs-leak-online/

The hype train is headed for another huge disappointment if you don't pull that brake lever soon.

Apparent third hand leaks of Alpha Stage Engineering samples and not even a mention of performance.

Are you serious?

Soldato
"alpha stage" lol. You have said many times you believe the October date. So which is it?

If you stick to the October story, 3GHz is really poor for something that is about to launch in 2 months.

Soldato
"alpha stage" lol. You have said many times you believe the October date. So which is it?

If you stick to the October story, 3GHz is really poor for something that is about to launch in 2 months.

Dr Su has stated Q4 2016 for limited launch and 2017 for volume for quite a while. Being that silicon (retail and pro) is in the hands of OEMs, she's probably not lying

Base clock of samples has been ~2.8GHz and I doubt turbo was fully enabled, as is the way with samples. It's looking like 8c Zen will ship with at least 3GHz base clock and probably 3.5GHz or so turbo, which is in line with other CPUs of this ilk.

Honestly don't know why some people revel in AMD failing, we should all be cautiously optimistic, mother Intel won't mind ;)

Back
Top Bottom