• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Permabanned
I think looking at all the games overall these two are pretty even, Intel win some and Ryzen wins others, Metro LL is a pretty big performance gap with for Ryzen tho.

On that alone Ryzen is clearly the better gaming CPU but further in the video yes the 6600K does spend a lot of time with all its threads at 100% and the stuttering its causing is horrendous. some might argue thats because its deliberately setup to be completely CPU bound and at 1080P its wouldn't happen, and yet mainstream reviewers have always benchmarked CPU's in this way, their argument being that as GPU's get faster those results would become an issue for the users of the weaker CPU, so with that in mind the i5's just can't cut it, clearly the way to go is 6 cores, the Ryzen 1600.

I've been playing GTA5 a lot recently and I play at 1440p on my 4670K and still get quite a bit of stuttering. Would love to upgrade but I'll wait til Zen+ I think.

Associate
Semantics... ^^^^^^^^ or would you care to explain how 2.5% higher clock makes a 10% difference? it doesn't...

Not that i'm suggesting all do... but you can put anything you like on a slide... a video, well that is FAR more telling...

Watch this, all of it and tell me i5 vs Ryzen 1600 Intel is the better gaming CPU, it just isn't, and yet so called mainstream reviewers who don't do videos, only slides, are still trying to make out Intel is the only gaming choice, with them all behaving like Intel's advertising arm is it any wonder AMD are just about bankrupt? the thing is these people are businesses employing sometimes multiple offices.... where do they get that kind of money from? google adds? no..... for the sake of competition and there in grounded pricing and continuing performance upgrades and innovation: just because Ryan Shrout says "_________" that doesn't necessarily mean there is any truth to anything he says.
Look at the i5 maxed out in some of these games and the stuttering that's causing, Toms Hardware never tell you about that on any of their review 'Intel marketing' slides........

Not only is the Ryzen chip performing higher most of the time.. the reason for it is clear when you look at the level of stress the 6600K's miserable 4 threads are under, it can get so bad it causes horrendous stuttering, have you ever seen any of the classic mainstream reviewers mention this? can you see any of this from any of their slides? no... these people are not in the business of giving you any sort of factual advice, if they did that they wouldn't have a sponsor in Intel, they wouldn't have a revenue to Employ the amount of people they do.

Intel stutters, amd does not, 6cores+ rocks.
the gaming cpu 7700k, right...............I am a gamer and I knew what I wanted, the best cpu and it isnt Intel.
cudos to amd for making a 56% ipc improvement.
caught Intel with pants down.

Soldato
You seem like your just looking for a reason not to buy one. I would put a guess at you wanting a 6+ core Intel CPU but only want to pay AMD money for it. 2 worlds Collide :).

Not looking, already have a few reasons. Following with interest though. My ideal is actually somewhere between the two, making deciding awkward :D

Associate
From my perspective the real problem with Ryzen is this lack of itx boards. Over 2 months in and only one company (who won't be stocked) has even shown some pretty pictures, while not a whiff of anything coming from any of the other manufacturers.

Really want to buy and play but can't!

Last edited:
Soldato
From my perspective the real problem with Ryzen is this lack of itx boards. Over 2 months in and only one company (who won't be stocked) has even shown some pretty pictures, while not a whiff of anything coming from any of the other manufacturers.

Really want to buy and play but can't!
Biostar RACING X370GTN ITX isn't that far away to come out, and there are a handful of mATX if you can fit it
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=879#overview

And looks like a very good board also, supporting 3200mhz ram out of the box etc.
Contemplating atm if it could be better to get that one instead of the CH6 and go for a P3 case instead of the big P5.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're making me want to avoid buying one, stop, please.

On the bright side I've got got a 1700 and GTAV looks pretty fine, I hope you don't buy as with music where I enjoy hearing someone elses clearly worse life on record I appreciate your cack experience, stick to it :)

Associate
Biostar RACING X370GTN ITX isn't that far away to come out, and there are a handful of mATX if you can fit it
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=879#overview

And looks like a very good board also, supporting 3200mhz ram out of the box etc.
Contemplating atm if it could be better to get that one instead of the CH6 and go for a P3 case instead of the big P5.

Unfortunately cant use matx with this case despite its size, and the one I want to use for my ryzen build will be a smaller console sized thing so definitely need itx!

Shame it doesn't have wifi, displayport or hdmi2. Usb-C is a nice touch to see I suppose. They seem to be the only ones with anything due but will they get stocked anytime soon. They don't appear to be as readily stocked in the UK compared to the other brands from what I've seen. If they become available before anything else is announced I will be tempted to go for it and use a powerline adapter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Asrock puts on sale an mITX board around mid May also.
Drop a question to the Asrock discussion in the motherboards section in this forum. The rep is around there might help you :)

Also you will find there that 8Pack is working on an mITX package deal with Ryzen :)

Soldato
Would be nice if Ryzen's price is slowly tapered down, and then Ryzen 2 comes in at the original launch pricing.

This isn't Intel, so I think that may well happen. Prices have already been much better than launch - when I paid 329 for my 1700 and could have picked one up recently for £287!

Bloody bargains if you aren't needing high amounts of ram - Ok, you can still run high amount with stability, but not with even mildly high clocks generally.

Permabanned
Would be nice if Ryzen's price is slowly tapered down, and then Ryzen 2 comes in at the original launch pricing.
Certainly would. If I could sell my system for reasonable money I'd be all over a 1600 Taichi bundle, but Ryzen 2 is mine. Really looking forward to see what kind of improvements they can make.

When do you think we will likely start to hear some reliable information about Ryzen 2?

Soldato
Certainly would. If I could sell my system for reasonable money I'd be all over a 1600 Taichi bundle, but Ryzen 2 is mine. Really looking forward to see what kind of improvements they can make.

When do you think we will likely start to hear some reliable information about Ryzen 2?

Not for some time yet. They don't want people like you waiting for zen2, they want sales now :p

Back
Top Bottom