• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

It's probably a rarity, R3/R5s are lower bins so most likely the disabled cores have some manufacturing defects.
It wouldn't hurt if mobo manufacturers included a feature to unlock disabled cores in the bios so the user can do some stress testing and see if they're functional, but I don't think AMD will have any of that.

i heard there were some CPU's which were defective is this true?

I have just bought a ryzen second hand. need to know what i should be testing for to see if it's okay?

also what is the best cooler for a 1700x? for the £30 bracket. £50 bracket and the £70 bracket. preferably air cooled

i heard there were some CPU's which were defective is this true?

I have just bought a ryzen second hand. need to know what i should be testing for to see if it's okay?

also what is the best cooler for a 1700x? for the £30 bracket. £50 bracket and the £70 bracket. preferably air cooled

I believe the issue came to light when using Linux, otherwise you will never see it. If found to be an issue, AMD will RMA it. Note: AGESA 1.0.0.6b is meant to fix the issue, but if it doesn't then that is when it is RMA Acceptable. This is the only issue I was aware of.

Last edited:
Intel are about to launch Coffeelake, all AMD are doing is reacting to that by under cutting the crap out of Intel, Intel's cheapest unlocked 6 core will be what, £250? the 1600 'which unlike the Coffeelake i5 is a 6 core 12 thread' will now be £160 / £170?

Until Ryzen + in February that will see off Intel's response, one thing Intel will never do at any cost is price to performance match AMD.

Last edited:
Intel are about to launch Coffeelake, all AMD are doing is reacting to that by under cutting the crap out of Intel, Intel's cheapest unlocked 6 core will be what, £250? the 1600 'which unlike the Coffeelake i5 is a 6 core 12 thread' will now be £160 / £170?

Until Ryzen + in February that will see off Intel's response, one thing Intel will never do at any cost is price to performance match AMD.

We'll have to wait and see. If Coffee lake could hit Sandybridge levels of overclocking and Intel have optimsed the ring bus it could be a beast and maybe worth paying a premium over Ryzen for some people.

Yup... indeed! I doubt they will want to endanger their top flight chips by going back to solder though.

Yeah and 8600K would probably hammer a good chunk of Intel current line up in most situations if that turned out to be the case. A chip like that would probably only add to the problems Ryzen is currently giving Intel too. Plus it's still only 6 cores and 12 threads going up against 8 core 16 thread chips so clock speed will only help to a point.

We'll have to wait and see. If Coffee lake could hit Sandybridge levels of overclocking and Intel have optimsed the ring bus it could be a beast and maybe worth paying a premium over Ryzen for some people.

For a lot of people Intel will always be worth the premium anyway, just because Intel is written on the box, you're never going to change that so they don't matter

For a lot of other people its a better idea to spend the difference between Intel and AMD on a faster GPU, they do matter.

best air cooler for a 1700x in terms of value for money? the cheaper the better however i will pay say a few quid more if warranted. for example i'm currently using a hyper 212X (£25) on a i5 7600K as it's a beast for the money. is there anything as good as that for AM4?

For a lot of people Intel will always be worth the premium anyway, just because Intel is written on the box, you're never going to change that so they don't matter

For a lot of other people its a better idea to spend the difference between Intel and AMD on a faster GPU, they do matter.

I'm not sure you know. The industry will usually go with whatever offers the required performance for the lowest outlay.

best air cooler for a 1700x in terms of value for money? the cheaper the better however i will pay say a few quid more if warranted. for example i'm currently using a hyper 212X (£25) on a i5 7600K as it's a beast for the money. is there anything as good as that for AM4?

I went with stock but I did look at a couple Sythe HSF.

Back
Top Bottom