• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Hopefully the 6-8 core scheduler improvements aren't limited to chips made this decade. :D

I also hope I don't need to update my GPU drivers after this update since the new ones are still worse than my current ones. :(

Soldato
Its the difficulty in obtaining rated speeds and/or overclocks for your average joe that is the main issue, imo. :)

Took me a while trawling forums for info to get mine running well! (Not to mention buying another set of ram and another motherboard :p)

Had no issue on my second try with the CH6 to get my 3600Mhz module to run at 3600Mhz using the custom pre-overclock profile (135.2 bus) and on the third bios change has it running at it's rated subtimings.(16/16/16/32/56)

First attempt failed, because the CH6 was too over generous with the power throwing to the DRAM 1.438v and crashed straight away. Lowering it to 1.37v had no issue since. (1.35v is the rated value).

At least the CH6 with 1701 bios feels more stable than the Gigabyte X99 UG, and greatly improved of what is was back in March.

Now need to figure which voltage values are correct, because I get conflicting readings.
CPU sensors state less vcore/soc voltage on both AMD Ryzen Master, and HWInfo.
Compared to CPUZ and motherboard sensors adding an extra 0.8v on the above numbers. And even if I am trying to force manual power on the bios to 1.44v the motherboard still displays 1.504v. (on 4125 core overclock with 3600mhz ram, over BLCK 135.2)

To add also, using Ryzen master, doesn't force voltage unfortunately, and ram speeds only go up to 3200 on the slider not 3600.

Soldato
People jumped on the update yesterday, all my OW friend list was empty.

It would be nice to see if Ryzen and CFL have improvements in games - might need someone to open a benchmarks thread.
Forza has massively improved for me.

Good to hear! FO4 with the new update(and me actually trying out gaming mode),actually showed a few FPS improvement in settlements. Surprised TBH!!

Soldato
It looks like Joker Productions has seen some large increases in performance with their AMD and Nvidia cards with the Windows update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW4dS_1hxuA

He tested a Vega card out but saw the same improvements with the Nvidia ones. Even some people talking about Ryzen getting a boost - I expect even CFL might do so too.

My 1700 in bf1 gets 100-144fps at 1080p. Since the update nearer to 144fps , higher cpu utilisation on average and higher temps.

Soldato
I just ran a couple of benchmarks on the Mrs's PC and Superposition saw a good uptick in performance, as did 3D Mark, that's an I7 4770 though with an RX 480.

I will be interested to see if someone with a Ryzen CPU notices FO4 doing any better since that is not really a strong point on Ryzen??

FO4 did seem a bit better overall on my IB Core i7 than before although not sure if that was since I also enabled game mode for the first time ever(for some reason I thought it was only for streaming,LOL).

Soldato
Hmm, will give Overwatch a try tonight if I have time to see if there's any improvement in FPS. I can't really see how there would be since the game already uses 6 cores very evenly and my GPU is almost always maxed out but we'll see.

Also, I thought the 6-8 core gaming improvements were only when using Game Mode? Does anyone actually use that? I've turned all the Game Bar stuff off.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, will give Overwatch a try tonight if I have time to see if there's any improvement in FPS. I can't really see how there would be since the game already uses 6 cores very evenly and my GPU is almost always maxed out but we'll see.

Also, I thought the 6-8 core gaming improvements were only when using Game Mode? Does anyone actually use that? I've turned all the Game Bar stuff off.
I tried OW yesterday and my FPS count stays above 144 now all the time.

Soldato

It seems the improvements only come from using game mode now vs game mode on CU.
Without turning game mode on, the performance is the same. That Joker guy is just trolling.

Soldato
Android x86 from the looks of it, not even Chromebook comparing the fields to Chromebook results.

But that would make it an ultra high end Android tablet, it's not even a low end Raven Ridge APU. Not even the latest A73 based chips score that high. Android TV maybe?

If AMD can get into any of these kind of devices it hints at RR being quite efficient.

Back
Top Bottom