• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
I've spent about 2 weeks reading up on the various components I decided to go for. I know the Ryzen 5 2600 is a good overclocker, and that amongst other reasons is why I picked it.

That doesn't mean I'm going to jump straight into doing something I've got no experience in. That's why I posted in this thread.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I had a pleasantly hassle free experience with my PC today. Up till now I've found Ryzen to be a pain in the butt whenever I've had to mess around with it, be it having to reinstall the OS or changing components, In the beginning I went with a 1600x & a b350m motherboard that needed a few bio's updates before it would work properly, A couple of months later the motherboard failed permanently, I got a replacement and when I decided to upgrade from the 1600x to the 2700x the board wouldn't let my memory run at it's rated 3200mhz, It would run fine with the 1600x but not with the 2700x so I down clocked it and spent the next 6 weeks waiting for and testing bio's updates, There were three bio's updates during that time but none fixed the problem so I moved to the X470 platform & now the memory is at 3200mhz, where it should be.

The new motherboard is an Asus Prime x470 Pro that has two M.2 slots, Only one was in use with a 256 gb Intel 600 M.2 ssd that's my boot drive so I grabbed a 500gb Samsung 970 M.2 drive to use in the other M.2 slot with some games, primarily Windows store games as they seem to have really long load times, It may not solve the problem but it's worth a try.
I fitted the new drive yesterday and when testing it it was only hitting around 1200mb/s on the reads & the writes so I got the motherboard book out to see if it was limiting the drive, which it was. The main M.2 slot is x4 pcie and the second M.2 slot is only x2 pcie so I decided to swap them around to get the best out of the Samsung 970 evo.
As I was moving the new drive to the primary M.2 slot I also decided to make it my boot drive so I downloaded Samsung's Migration software, It's a good bit of software and cloning the Intel boot drives data took a bit under 10 minutes. I then closed the PC down and switched the drives around, When I booted it back up it recognised and used the new drive so I removed the partitions and reformatted the Intel drive so I can use it for the games, Now the 970's reads are over 3000mb/s and the writes are around 2300mb/s.
I tested the Intel M.2 drive in it's new slot hoping it wouldn't be throttled like the 970 was due to it being quite a bit slower out of the box, The test showed that the x2 slot did throttle it a little but not by much, It's reads have dropped from around 1200mb/s to just over 1000mb/s and the writes of around 540mb/s have remained the same. As an added bonus the PC boots quicker now.

Associate
So I'm finally putting together my 2700x build tonight... Coming from a 2600k where I'm used to having it heavily overclocked - but I'm hearing now you don't do anything at all on ryzen? Is that right, you don't even bother going into the bios just leave everything at bios defaults?

I'm playing around with my 2700x for eventual jump from Haswell E to Ryzen. At the moment I am just doing RAM tuning and not bothering with CPU overclock at all. I constantly see 4.2ghz precision boost frequencies and and around 4ghz all core clocks anyways. So there is no point to try and get that extra 100-200Mhz on top of what automatic boost can give me. Especially considering for those 200Mhz you need some serious volts. Also for some reason my noctua cooler is pushing cool air, while sensors are reporting 79C under load. Fans are spinning in full blast as well. While same or similar noctua on Haswell E is pushing warm air while reporting 65-67C.
So yeah, there is no benefit to try and overclock CPU with ryzen, but there is a lot of benefits to tune RAMs to highest frequency and tightest timings ;)

Permabanned
I had a pleasantly hassle free experience with my PC today. Up till now I've found Ryzen to be a pain in the butt whenever I've had to mess around with it, be it having to reinstall the OS or changing components, In the beginning I went with a 1600x & a b350m motherboard that needed a few bio's updates before it would work properly, A couple of months later the motherboard failed permanently, I got a replacement and when I decided to upgrade from the 1600x to the 2700x the board wouldn't let my memory run at it's rated 3200mhz, It would run fine with the 1600x but not with the 2700x so I down clocked it and spent the next 6 weeks waiting for and testing bio's updates, There were three bio's updates during that time but none fixed the problem so I moved to the X470 platform & now the memory is at 3200mhz, where it should be.

The new motherboard is an Asus Prime x470 Pro that has two M.2 slots, Only one was in use with a 256 gb Intel 600 M.2 ssd that's my boot drive so I grabbed a 500gb Samsung 970 M.2 drive to use in the other M.2 slot with some games, primarily Windows store games as they seem to have really long load times, It may not solve the problem but it's worth a try.
I fitted the new drive yesterday and when testing it it was only hitting around 1200mb/s on the reads & the writes so I got the motherboard book out to see if it was limiting the drive, which it was. The main M.2 slot is x4 pcie and the second M.2 slot is only x2 pcie so I decided to swap them around to get the best out of the Samsung 970 evo.
As I was moving the new drive to the primary M.2 slot I also decided to make it my boot drive so I downloaded Samsung's Migration software, It's a good bit of software and cloning the Intel boot drives data took a bit under 10 minutes. I then closed the PC down and switched the drives around, When I booted it back up it recognised and used the new drive so I removed the partitions and reformatted the Intel drive so I can use it for the games, Now the 970's reads are over 3000mb/s and the writes are around 2300mb/s.
I tested the Intel M.2 drive in it's new slot hoping it wouldn't be throttled like the 970 was due to it being quite a bit slower out of the box, The test showed that the x2 slot did throttle it a little but not by much, It's reads have dropped from around 1200mb/s to just over 1000mb/s and the writes of around 540mb/s have remained the same. As an added bonus the PC boots quicker now.

The second M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x2 is still with quite significantly higher throughput than what the SATA interface gives for the old type SSDs.
In your case, right now, you have the drives being slower than the interfaces, prior to swaping them around, the M.2 PCI-E x2 interface was slower than the Samsung drive.

Soldato
Been looking at specs for sons Christmas upgrade, currently has 3570k(stock with 8gb ram), 2600 looks to be best bet but what is Intels rival to the 2600? Doesn't seem to be anything.....

On price or performance? On price, nothing, Ryzen is unbeatable (r6 2600=£131). On performance, the usual 6 core suspects (8600k/9600k = £241/£262) do alright, slightly better in some situations but not massively so, but of course more expensive.

Permabanned
On price or performance? On price, nothing, Ryzen is unbeatable (r6 2600=£131). On performance, the usual 6 core suspects (8600k/9600k = £241/£262) do alright, slightly better in some situations but not massively so, but of course more expensive.

Approx. 100% more expensive is a lot!

Associate
Wheyyy I'm putting together my 2600 build tonight :D

Interested in this answer too

So, how did your upgrade go? Mine went okish, though a bios flash went wrong and bricked my board, luckily I was able to recover it though. Some of my older hardware does NOT work well with ryzen so had to remove it, and the troubleshooting of that took some time. Also had a lot of "micro" type stutters going on in windows, with mouse movements and moving windows around, or scrolling etc, also notice the slight micro second pause in youtube as well - though I think I've fixed that now by setting AHCI link power management to active. Also had a tonne of dcom errors, so I think there's possibly a driver bug somewhere, but eventually fixed all of them as well - spent all weekend tweaking this thing and fixing issues I had. Pain in the ass upgrade.

Performance wise, meh - not sure if I can really notice any difference from my 2600k going to a 2700x - everything feels about the same to me. Maybe it'll feel different if I upgrade to ryzen 2 next year.

Permabanned

Yeah, thats what I concluded, just seems strange Intel are not competing at that price point at all. Ah well, no qualms going with a 2600. :)

Associate
So, how did your upgrade go? Mine went okish, though a bios flash went wrong and bricked my board, luckily I was able to recover it though. Some of my older hardware does NOT work well with ryzen so had to remove it, and the troubleshooting of that took some time. Also had a lot of "micro" type stutters going on in windows, with mouse movements and moving windows around, or scrolling etc, also notice the slight micro second pause in youtube as well - though I think I've fixed that now by setting AHCI link power management to active. Also had a tonne of dcom errors, so I think there's possibly a driver bug somewhere, but eventually fixed all of them as well - spent all weekend tweaking this thing and fixing issues I had. Pain in the ass upgrade.

Performance wise, meh - not sure if I can really notice any difference from my 2600k going to a 2700x - everything feels about the same to me. Maybe it'll feel different if I upgrade to ryzen 2 next year.

Damn, sorry to read this! What a shame! I didn't bother with any flashing. Just got all the latest drivers. Sucks to read that you're already looking forward to the next upgrade. That can't be right :(

I experienced my fastest Windows install ever. I went to make a cuppa and it was done by the time I got back haha! So I've gone from Windows 7 with my i5 2550k system to Windows 10 and Ryzen 5 2600. I scored 5k more in 3DMark and system is pretty much silent. Installed War Thunder and played that for a morning, all on max details and frames don't drop below 70. Considering I'm still running my gtx 670ftw I'm very impressed with gaming performance. Will be getting new GPU this weekend.

I'm liking the Asrock Tuning Utility but I'm not touching voltages etc until I know what I'm doing. I'm just using it to control fans at the moment. I had to change my RAM to 3000 in BIOS but that's as much BIOS fiddling as I've attempted so far.

Associate
Damn, sorry to read this! What a shame! I didn't bother with any flashing. Just got all the latest drivers. Sucks to read that you're already looking forward to the next upgrade. That can't be right :(

I experienced my fastest Windows install ever. I went to make a cuppa and it was done by the time I got back haha! So I've gone from Windows 7 with my i5 2550k system to Windows 10 and Ryzen 5 2600. I scored 5k more in 3DMark and system is pretty much silent. Installed War Thunder and played that for a morning, all on max details and frames don't drop below 70. Considering I'm still running my gtx 670ftw I'm very impressed with gaming performance. Will be getting new GPU this weekend.

I'm liking the Asrock Tuning Utility but I'm not touching voltages etc until I know what I'm doing. I'm just using it to control fans at the moment. I had to change my RAM to 3000 in BIOS but that's as much BIOS fiddling as I've attempted so far.

I turned on performance enhancer level 2, and precision boost overide, and DOCP to get my memory working at 3200 - that's pretty much all i've done in the bios other than attempting the update... Asus didn't even release what 1002 update for the crosshair vii does, so not 100% sure I even need it?

Then again perhaps it fixes some of the issues I've been having, or perhaps windows doesn't like that I've turned on the performance enhancer, as I've not tried it without, but like I said it's mostly working ok now, just took a lot of effort to get it that way.

I probably should have run some benchmarks before and after, but I've only run cinebench and 3dmark afterwards just to check for stability etc.

I did play some forza 4 last night, and was getting 100fps minimum, but again I didn't play this before so I can't compare it. I guess chrome is loading a bit quicker? That's about all I've actually noticed so far. However a fresh install of windows on my old system could possibly have done that.

Soldato
Asus didn't even release what 1002 update for the crosshair vii does, so not 100% sure I even need it?

You bought a £250 motherboard, for a £140 CPU? Are you planning on getting a Zen2 CPU for it next year?

As for the issues you have had if it was a first gen product I'd completely understand, but every 2000 series system I've built/used hasn't faced any of these problems, although to be fair only one of them had an Asus motherboard and that was a cheapo model.

What old hardware do you have that doesn't work, and what revision of Windows 10 did you install? :)

Associate
You bought a £250 motherboard, for a £140 CPU? Are you planning on getting a Zen2 CPU for it next year?

As for the issues you have had if it was a first gen product I'd completely understand, but every 2000 series system I've built/used hasn't faced any of these problems, although to be fair only one of them had an Asus motherboard and that was a cheapo model.

What old hardware do you have that doesn't work, and what revision of Windows 10 did you install? :)

It's definitely a thought I've had to upgrade to Zen2 yes... and who said I bought a £140 CPU? I bought a 2700x, last I checked they are around the £300 mark.

I worked out the hardware I had that didn't work was an internal USB card reader that fits in one of the drive bays.

Soldato
It's definitely a thought I've had to upgrade to Zen2 yes... and who said I bought a £140 CPU? I bought a 2700x, last I checked they are around the £300 mark.

I worked out the hardware I had that didn't work was an internal USB card reader that fits in one of the drive bays.

Misread the the post, my apologies. :(

Associate
As much as 1800x with asus hero x370 was a complete pain to work with, 2700x with asus hero VII was a delight to set up. I remember all the issues with cold boots and tempers with Intel x79/x99 systems, there was nothing like that with 2700x. If I set memory timings too tight or frequency too high, it just boots, and tells you its not happy. How many times did I have to go and hard reset the systems before :D :D
I cannot wait to jump over to that system, just not looking forward to installing windows 10 and setting it up the way I like it (all the idiotic crap disabled).

Associate
Looking for some help

So bought a Ryzen 2600, Hyper X predator 2 x 4GB 3200 C16 (think it's Hynix A die) and a Gigabyte B450 DS3H M board. Now according to the memory list from Kingston this is compatible with Ryzen at it's rated 3200 speed. According to gigabyte the board can do 3200mhz memory. However if I set the XMP profile leave everything else on auto I can post most of the time but instantly get crashes on boot in windows. Set to the lower 3000mhz profile can get in to windows but not stable. Set to jedec 2400mhz and it works fully stable.

Now I don't want to particularly go through the pain of sending the memory back as not working correctly because it does at 2400mhz and I realise it's not a great motherboard but it should be enough and has most of the overclocking options.

What settings do I need to set to try and get this stable. Running the latest F2 bios.

Completely new to Ryzen so bit of a learning curve to say the least. At the moment everything is on auto with XMP.

Back
Top Bottom