• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Man of Honour
Thanks to everyone about the info on a pair of NVME drives. I really didn't want to start a arguement though. I have shown him this thread and now he is going with a single NVME drive alongside a bigger, fast SSD. He probably won't even notice the difference unless he benches the drives anyway.

Soldato
Thanks to everyone about the info on a pair of NVME drives. I really didn't want to start a arguement though. I have shown him this thread and now he is going with a single NVME drive alongside a bigger, fast SSD. He probably won't even notice the difference unless he benches the drives anyway.

Glad it is sorted for him, if he doesn't need the transfer speeds between the two drives then you are right he won't notice the difference at all. No argument was there really just people not reading and making assumptions, typical internet really. :p

Associate
That's what I will be doing when I eventually upgrade my own pc. I did away with mechanical drives when I refreshed this pc and won't be going back to them again.

Outside of the benchmarks, you will not see any difference. I have intels 750 series nvme, and some old OCZ Sata SSD, and on paper Intel SSD is slaughtering my other one. yet in real world, I see no difference at all. majority of games and even OS somehow does not take advantage of all the throughput of new gen SSDs. Yeah, there are couple of oddball games which actually show the difference, but majority, I can't tell if its faster or not.

By the way, AMD has this Store MI "technology" with x470 motherboards which takes all your SSDs, HDDs and combines them into single virtual one, and stores most frequently used data into fastest parts of that virtual storage. So you have best of both worlds. It just takes a bit of time to algorithm to be 'trained'.

Associate
So with the lack of spare time, I have been sitting on Corsair 4000Mhz DDR4 RAM with 1800x/HeroVI and recently on 2700X/HeroVII. My attempts to make that memory stable at any frequencies with 1800x cpu were complete failure. I would get system lock ups whatever I tried. Then came 2700X with new motherboard. Only recently managed to get my hands on some spare time. Motherboard came with 0207 bios, I put the ram in, set it to 3200Mhz, booted. No issues. Set it to 3466Mhz, no issues to boot. Set it to 3600Mhz, booted, though unstable. So stepped back to 3466Mhz, calculated optimal timings with that awesome ryzen calculator, and made it stable. Then, I woke up from this brain fart, and decided to update the bios :D After few failed attempts to flash new bios(thanks ASUS for your usual nonsense), I was up and running with 1001 BIOS. I gave 3600Mhz a try. Booted, and passed my ram testing. So conclusion to this pointless post: I'm extremely impressed with the memory compatibility improvement done to Zen+. Hopefully they will improve even further with Zen 2 once it comes out. So far even with loose timings and CPU at stock it is slaughtering Haswell 5930k@4ghz and 3200Mhz RAM.
Also my CPU is running kinda hot even with Noctua heatsink. Well, 72C while stresstesting, and 77C-79C while Prime95 small FFT. Good thing is, that in theory I don't really need to OC 2700X, as it kinda does it by itself.

Soldato
Was thinking about buying an 2700x, just checked the prices. Its gone up by £50 to £60 everywhere.

I leave it for a while!

Whats the best micro ATX motherboard I can get for the AM4 platform?

Soldato
Was thinking about buying an 2700x, just checked the prices. Its gone up by £50 to £60 everywhere.

I leave it for a while!

Whats the best micro ATX motherboard I can get for the AM4 platform?

How narrow is your definition of everywhere? I can see it for <£300 in several places, that currently have stock.

Best MATX board is a toss up between the MSI B450M Mortar, and the ASRock B450M Pro4, but there's not much in it. The MSI VRM's seem to run about 50-60c under load on an overclocked 2700X at 4.2GHz on all cores, the ASRock falling a bit behind.

Soldato
How narrow is your definition of everywhere? I can see it for <£300 in several places, that currently have stock

Wasn't this morning, they have changed the price again I see but still £279 was a nice price a few weeks back so I wait abit longer.

Thanks, I will check those motherboards out as I'm moving to a smaller build now and laptop only.

Soldato
Well, Asus states that only the second 16x slot becomes limited, so something else might happen - Ryzen has 32 lanes on the die.

The asus strix X470 and B450 boards use cpu lanes for the second m.2 slot on the board, rather than lanes from the chipset like other board partners.

A better config for more than one nvme drive and/or nvme raid but at the expense of lanes left for the gpu.

Soldato
Appreciate this is a rather late post in the thread here, happy to be directed back...

Is it possible to have Precision boost overdrive active and get over the 4.35Ghz limit on a 2700X?
I'm just curious if my board is missing options or if its a general limit that requires some fancy manoeuvring (I've seen bits on reddit about 104 bus gives a 4.4 boost clock, 105 and PBO deactivates). I've got (fairly) monstrous cooling sorted, looking to make some good use of it.
Googling around, anything north of 4.35 seems to be manual all core which... ok, I COULD do but I rather like the way PBO operates. I see 4.35 day in/out at the moment, no issues with that, just looking to try and get a little further.

Soldato
precision boost is only on two cores @ 4.35ghz not all cores of course you know that, if you want anything above that then it will have to be manual from my understanding so far however i have not messed around too much with it tbh. Anything above 4.3ghz requires too much voltage and heat for any meaningful gain. 4.4+ghz requires crazy voltages and that special chip.

Associate
So I'm finally putting together my 2700x build tonight... Coming from a 2600k where I'm used to having it heavily overclocked - but I'm hearing now you don't do anything at all on ryzen? Is that right, you don't even bother going into the bios just leave everything at bios defaults?

Associate
So I'm finally putting together my 2700x build tonight... Coming from a 2600k where I'm used to having it heavily overclocked - but I'm hearing now you don't do anything at all on ryzen? Is that right, you don't even bother going into the bios just leave everything at bios defaults?

Wheyyy I'm putting together my 2600 build tonight :D

Interested in this answer too

Soldato

You havn't heard that on this forum :eek:
Of course you have to go into the bios. You need to set PBO to enabled and then set your Ram to it's XMP profile............................then you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom