American Truck Simulator

You know...that article has got me thinking.

Something that I have often wondered about is European trucks and North American trucks. Euro trucks have those flat "noses" and NA trucks have those elongated "noses". I've often wondered why thats the case, I assume there is some mechanical reason why the 2 continents have their particular designs. Is one design better than the other for any reason?

I know there are a few pistonheads on these forums , so hopefully someone who is more clued up on vehicles can shed some light on it for me.

Larger engines maybe? Look at Australian trucks, if you've seen the Australian trucking documentary programs they haul train size loads, so they need the power. Same with American ones, they are a lot more powerful than ours.

Assuming that's the case anyway.

As above, it's due to length restrictions in Europe that made the "cab-over" designs win over here.

Engines aren't incredibly different or more powerful.

It's mainly to do with parking/manoeuvring, much easier to do without a snub.

Most current US ones use the ISX15 or the DD16 (this is according to a friend in Michigan) both make around 2000ft/lb at max output spec, compare than to our top ones (FH750/R730) which both make ~2500ft/lbs you can see how far ahead power wise WE are ;)

ps even the Mack titan (the Aussie road train truck) only makes 2000ft/lb

Most current US ones use the ISX15 or the DD16 (this is according to a friend in Michigan) both make around 2000ft/lb at max output spec, compare than to our top ones (FH750/R730) which both make ~2500ft/lbs you can see how far ahead power wise WE are ;)

ps even the Mack titan (the Aussie road train truck) only makes 2000ft/lb
US engine manufacturers have been spending more time prioritizing fuel efficiency and reliability than out and out power. Which makes sense given they generally do much longer hauls and spend more time on highways than the average Euro trucker.

This is what i thought, eu trucks can turn on a dime and still carry the grunt!

Cities are certainly a step forward compared to ETS2. Will be holding out for the Kenworth W900.

Got a couple of games to finish before I purchase this though, so not a realse purchase for me (but next on radar)

Back
Top Bottom