Amex/american express

Soldato
Firstly apologies if this is the wrong section, wasn't really sure what it came under. So my question is regarding Amex. I currently have a samtander 123 credit card, but I'm maxing out the cashback on the 1 and 3%. Is there a downside to using an Amex card, I'm looking at one that gives 5% for 3 months (up-to 2500 spent) then drops off to 1%/1.25% depending on how much is spent. Our meal credit card bill is about 1500-1600 a month so I reckon the one with the fee will be the better option for us. Amy opinions?

Cheers

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

[Humble brag]our meal credit card is 1500-1600 a month[/Humble brag]

That’s a lot of happy meals!

Associate
I spend around a £1200 a month on mine, had it just under a year, ultimate reward IIRC. Probably £270 cashback in that time. A few places don't accept it, mainly small local shops, but you have another card it's not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Presumably this is the platinum credit card rather than the charge card? There is still a small annual fee for this one but you should eclipse it via the cash back.

Downside: AMEX customer service is a bit naff and a few places don't accept them, while you'll have no problem with your local supermarket etc.. you might have an issue with pubs and restaurants, you mention "meal credit card" so that could be an issue. Posher restaurants are less likely to be an issue, gastro pubs etc.. could well be though.

Man of Honour
I had one a long, long time ago, when I was in my thirties, never had any establishment actually decline it, but plenty of clothes and shoe stores in Spain and Portugal weren’t happy to see it, and asked me if I had any other card instead.
I think that I used Access, or maybe MasterCard to keep them happy, can’t remember now.
I guess that Amex took quite a chunk from the store for the privilege of accepting it for purchases.

Soldato
I mostly carry an Amex for the disappointment of it not being accepted anywhere. Using the BA card with avios has yielded some decent holidays and 2 for 1 flights. With the arrival of the child I’m not sure it makes as much sense, but can still use the points for hotel bookings.

Man of Honour
I think amex charge the shops a bit more than visa/MasterCard...which is why there's more perks as an amex cardholder

So I'll use my debit card if I like the shop, visa credit card if buying expensive items, and amex if I felt the experience was suboptimal lol...

Soldato
I mostly carry an Amex for the disappointment of it not being accepted anywhere. Using the BA card with avios has yielded some decent holidays and 2 for 1 flights. With the arrival of the child I’m not sure it makes as much sense, but can still use the points for hotel bookings.

Bit of an old thread bump, but i noticed with some Amex cards there are complimentary lounge access. Do these apply to additional card holders or only the main cardholder?

Associate
Bit of an old thread bump, but i noticed with some Amex cards there are complimentary lounge access. Do these apply to additional card holders or only the main cardholder?

AFAIK just the main cardholder as lounge access is given either through a Lounge Card, card or a Priority Pass card, these have a unique number to you and your name etc. Additional cardholders do not receive one. I know this as my mother is an additional holder of the Rewards Gold Charge Card.

Soldato
Cheers, looks to be the same as i've read online now (unless i have the Platinum card at a £600pa fee)

Annoyingly I applied for an American Express Gold Rewards card. Then spotted some small print that said if i've had an amex card in the last 2 years i'm not eligible for the introductory offer which is really good. So i rang them and it turns out its 23 months since i had one (i took out the cashback card but didn't use it much and cancelled it shortly after), so now i've cancelled this application and need to re-apply on the 27th September when i'm eligible.

Was hoping they'd just say, sod it, we'll mark you as eligible to remove the hassle!

Caporegime

Amex Platnium allow you free entry to lounges, including Centurion lounges for free with 1 guest (I think) on all Priority Pass lounges.

Gold Amex uses a different lounge scheme which is less than Priority Pass, and each entry is a fixed £20 per person, you can bring 2 guests I think. I have brought in 2 guests one time in T5. I used it on the way back in Dublin and took 1 guest in on Sunday.

Centurion Lounges are some of the best, Priority Pass is very hit and miss. The one in Tapei was brilliant, has a noodle bar, lots of free spirits. The one (there are 2 i think) in HK even has beer on tap that is self-served. Heathrow T5 and Dublin one is quite sad looking, although free alcohol is usually available. I tend to use it not so much as for the food and coffee, but a piece of mind and quiet. It’s just much more comfortable and I have no worry leaving my things on the seat and go get a drink or a snack.

p.s. when you look it up online, make sure you read the UK Amex reward, not the US, the US card comes with a lot more perks. This is because the fee Amex charges retailer are higher, therefore they are able to give back higher rewards to cardholders. Due to regulations in the UK, our fees are actually lower, and thus in return, the perks are not as good. For example, Amex Platinum in the UK you don't get all those Uber credits.

Soldato
I’ve got a platinum card. I definitely don’t pay £600 a year for it!

EDIT: which is because I’ve a platinum cashback card as opposed to a plain Platinum one.

Soldato
Cheers @Raymond Lin It's the gold card i was looking at. How long have you had yours? Would you say it's worth the fee after the first year (i accept that depends on spending habits as much as anything else)

I’ve got a platinum card. I definitely don’t pay £600 a year for it!

How'd you manage that?

EmFLfDo.png

Or do you mean you have the free Platinum cashback card? (It's a stupid naming convention i agree)

Back
Top Bottom