Amex/american express

Caporegime
Cheers @Raymond Lin It's the gold card i was looking at. How long have you had yours? Would you say it's worth the fee after the first year (i accept that depends on spending habits as much as anything else)

How'd you manage that?

EmFLfDo.png

Or do you mean you have the free Platinum cashback card? (It's a stupid naming convention i agree)

Also note the difference that the Platinum isn’t a credit card, but a charge card, and it needs to be settled in full when the bill comes, so don't buy it if you don't have the cash. The Gold card is a credit card, so you can pay the minimum if you want but not a good idea as that just ruins all the perks you are meant to be getting and taking advantage of.

I am on my 1st year in the Gold card, it finishes in January. I already got my 20k bonus points, I am on course to get another 10k if I spend £3k by the new year…which I should be able to do. Not sure I will renew it though and pay the fee for the 2nd year. I might downgrade it to another Amex card and sign up Priority Pass on its own instead which is cheaper if I really want lounge access, and you can always find discount codes for Priority Lounges to sign up.

Soldato
Also note the difference that the Platinum isn’t a credit card, but a charge card, and it needs to be settled in full when the bill comes. The Gold card is a credit card, so you can pay the minimum if you want but not a good idea as that just ruins all the perks you are meant to be getting and taking advantage of.

I am on my 1st year in the Gold card, it finishes in January. I already got my 20k bonus points, I am on course to get another 10k if I spend £3k by the new year…which I should be able to do. Not sure I will renew it though and pay the fee for the 2nd year. I might downgrade it to another Amex card and sign up Priority Pass on its own instead which is cheaper if I really want lounge access, and you can always find discount codes for Priority Lounges to sign up.

Cheers, yeah i don't plan on spending anything i wouldn't ordinarily spend so will just be paying it off in full. Makes sense to maximise benefits though given how much effort i put into using TCB etc and then just paying for stuff out of my FD current account.

How much are 10k points worth? I saw that as a yearly thing and i think i *should* hit £15k spend most years so if that annual bonus covers the fee then it could be worthwhile.

It looks like Amex do a referral bonus, i'm not sure if that overrides the normal introductory offers or not but if you you want to send me a referral code it could benefit us both, it's my username at Hotmail.com :)

Caporegime
Cheers, yeah i don't plan on spending anything i wouldn't ordinarily spend so will just be paying it off in full. Makes sense to maximise benefits though given how much effort i put into using TCB etc and then just paying for stuff out of my FD current account.

It looks like Amex do a referral bonus, i'm not sure if that overrides the normal introductory offers or not but if you you want to send me a referral code it could benefit us both, it's my username at Hotmail.com :)

Will do shortly :)

Soldato
Cheers

As mentioned i've got to wait a couple weeks before i'm eligible again but might as well get something for nothing :)

I believe the small print is 24 months without a similar type. Cashback, Reward and BA Cards are different types. I used this to get well over 180k avios and a 2-4-1 voucher. So free business class trip for me and the wife to west coast of USA next year. About 55k points spare now.

Suggest you double check the above before you take it out.

Don

not totally sure but I think you don't get the bonus until after the renewal date :(

Caporegime
What are 10k points worth? I suppose that's how they tempt you into renewing and it helps justify it if it's close.

Amex points is £1 per 1 point return.

On it's own a point, depends what you spend it on, you should aim for at least 1p per point when using it, so 100,000 points should be £1000 in value minimum.

Not sure the UK, but in the US now and again when you transfer from Amex points to Avois, you get a 40% to 50% bonus so 100,000 points in Amex turns to 150k Avios.

I am waiting for that in the UK to happen.

Soldato
Amex points is £1 per 1 point return.

Sorry, i meant, How much are 10k points worth in redeemable value?

If you get the 10k points after renewing (providing you hit the £15k spend), then do those points come to a rewards value close to the £140 renewal fee?

Suppose the question for renewal value is

If you get 10k bonus points. Plus the 15k point from the £15k spend. Then at the end of each year you end up with 25k Amex points, do those 25k points net you more than £140 worth of benefits?

Caporegime
Sorry, i meant, How much are 10k points worth in redeemable value?

If you get the 10k points after renewing (providing you hit the £15k spend), then do those points come to a rewards value close to the £140 renewal fee?

It wholly depends what you spend it on. When you go to spend it you can see how it converts, some items get you more value than others.

10,000 points, well...its rather small to be honest. What I am personally trying to save for is enough Avois to get a return business ticket to Japan. That cost 150k points. So it's 6%. A business class ticket to Japan is about £2000 to £2500, which is roughly £120......so it works out even i guess.

Don
What are 10k points worth? I suppose that's how they tempt you into renewing and it helps justify it if it's close.

as Raymond said it's very variable, but I usually get at least 3p per mile of value, used with the BA 2 for 1 voucher it can be higher

Back
Top Bottom