AMG GT R - Der Tag

Man of Honour
OP
What are your thoughts on the standard AMG GT vs the R8 V10?
I’d take the R8.

Too add...

I am not super experienced in the normal AMG GT's, but from my brief time in one and from feedback from people who have had normal and GTR/Pro/Black they are very different cars. You tend to find a lot of people have driven the GT versions, we have had a few on here I think who then go on to think driving one is driving them all and therefore they don't like the GTR.

That's fine, each to their own, but the GTR is a very different drive to the normal versions in the main and finding one is a touch harder too. The R8 V10+ I had was a great drive and better than a standard AMG GT by some way. Sharper, better to drive and more sorted. The GTR is a step on again in terms of performance, not least on track.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I love your GT-R and the R8 you had.

I am looking at the R8 V10 as the realistic dream car, that V10 is something else.
I think the Generation 1 V10 Plus will become the one to day outside of the very limited editions. I loved mine when I found other ones I drove a bit Meh (a relative term based on the cars I have had access to of course). I think a good V10 Plus is a superb car.

Man of Honour
OP
Having had the car for a smidge over 12 months, it is perhaps time for an ownership update. The car today sits with 15,624 miles on the clock, meaning I have covered around 12,000 miles in the car, which up until a few weeks back when my 530D arrived, was my only car. It is booked in for a service at the end of this month and a new windscreen and will then I head off to Spa and the Nurburgring in May for some long road and track miles.

Since buying the car I have done two road trips of note. The first an epic run across Scotland, the second and more recent a two day blast across Wales. Both times the car has been faultless and perfectly suited to such use, bar the odd tight road and bridge crossing in Wales with necessitated some deep intakes of breath and some "you're alright, you're alright" type commentaries from friends. :eek:

In my time it has one annual service, a smidge under £900 and the next as mentioned in a week or so a smidge over £900, which for such a car is reasonable. It had a new set of tyres £1500 a few months back and other than that it has been fuel or warranty work, new suspension sensors £4500 and some recall work, such as fitting grills to the front radiators, which sould have been on from day one really. I have mentioned electronics foibles which happen on occassion but they are easily resolved with a turn it off and on again approach.

I love the car and is the best car I have owned. No car before has had such a road presense that sees the vast majority of people just get out the way, often with the drivers window coming down so they can hear it. It is a fabulous thing to drive, getting out of the 530D into it reminds me of the differences between special and normal so much, not least as the 530D is exceptional in its own right. I can't think of another car I want more at the 100K mark (as I would have it) and it will be hard to replace. I think a 720 is what I want most (765 out of my range) and I might look at swapping it as we head into winter but for now, superb.

Man of Honour
OP
That looks menacing. Take it there's no regrets and the R8 is now a distant memory?
It’s a significant step up from the R8. I did Spa yesterday and the Ring today and it is incredible. It surprises everyone as it seems people see it as a big, heavy and cumbersome GT3 RS wannabe and then when they get inside it at pace and see how it can happily live with properly quick RS’s it’s a real surprise.

The engine and sound are the first thing and I was pulling 185mph on the Dottingerhoe (badly spelt I’m sure but the long straight) and I am told it sounds incredible. I also have a video of the 185mph :)

Underboss
It’s a significant step up from the R8. I did Spa yesterday and the Ring today and it is incredible. It surprises everyone as it seems people see it as a big, heavy and cumbersome GT3 RS wannabe and then when they get inside it at pace and see how it can happily live with properly quick RS’s it’s a real surprise.

The engine and sound are the first thing and I was pulling 185mph on the Dottingerhoe (badly spelt I’m sure but the long straight) and I am told it sounds incredible. I also have a video of the 185mph :)

nice

229 MPH is top speed on the lap record
your not that far off to be honest ! :)

Man of Honour
OP
How's the beats running matey? Been out and about in the nicer weather?
It’s running well thanks and now close to 18000 miles. Not done much in it since I came back from Spa and Nurburgring, just the odd evening blast really. Popped down to see my mum this weekend in Devon (450 mile round trip) but decided to bring the BMW at the 11th hour as it was wet and miserable.

I have a space at cars in the park next weekend at Lichfield so will need to get it cleaned and shiny before then.

Soldato
It’s running well thanks and now close to 18000 miles. Not done much in it since I came back from Spa and Nurburgring, just the odd evening blast really. Popped down to see my mum this weekend in Devon (450 mile round trip) but decided to bring the BMW at the 11th hour as it was wet and miserable.

I have a space at cars in the park next weekend at Lichfield so will need to get it cleaned and shiny before then.
Yeah I'm off to the american car show next saturday, might even take Big Ern :) but it's it raining, nahhhhh :) Good to hear all is well though. So, any thoughts about changing or still 100% happy?

Man of Honour
OP
Another suspension fault messaged popped up yesterday. Couldn’t make it up. 530D off road waiting a tyre so I take the GT-R out and 3 miles down the road I get a problem message!!

This one clears off (the last one did not) so I’m hoping a reset will fix it. Car drives fine and I can adjust dampers still so will book it in to a dealer.

Now to find a new dealer as I’m not using Macclesfield again.

Back
Top Bottom