An extension build

Soldato
The bolts will be fine, they will be over specced to have multiple methods of failure I.e. 6 bolts but only require 3.
It does look like you're missing a bolt on the right hand side.

Did you not consider putting the steel "up" into the joists so you don't have the steel bulkhead in sight? It's a bit more effort and would break into your rooms above, but visually a lot more appealing. (i shouldn't mention it, not much you can easily do now!)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The bolts will be fine, they will be over specced to have multiple methods of failure I.e. 6 bolts but only require 3.
It does look like you're missing a bolt on the right hand side.

Did you not consider putting the steel "up" into the joists so you don't have the steel bulkhead in sight? It's a bit more effort and would break into your rooms above, but visually a lot more appealing. (i shouldn't mention it, not much you can easily do now!)
Did consider it during drawings, but it's up there now...

Soldato
Great thread, be keen to see how the approach removing the chimney breast. My O/H has an unsightly support for the stack in the bathroom that we'd like to get removed.

Soldato
I always thought they rested steels on the brickwork, rather than other steels to make a goalpost shape. I'm not sure how well I'd sleep at night, knowing that half of my house is resting on 12 bolts. :eek:

Soldato
I always thought they rested steels on the brickwork, rather than other steels to make a goalpost shape. I'm not sure how well I'd sleep at night, knowing that half of my house is resting on 12 bolts. :eek:
Don’t ever go in a commercial steel frame building then as your life will often be hanging by a few bolts in some steel!

I assume the vertical steels are to allow for smaller support pillars as the block work needed under them would be substantial given the load.

Raising the steels into the floor joists above would have been nice but it is a considerable extra work load, builders hate it!

Soldato
OP
Week 4:

The whole building collapsed because the bolts failed.

Only joking.

Floor joists have gone in, and the perimeter of block work began.

d4JOjeM.jpg

tb2BT8o.jpg

OavC5KI.jpg
Wife for scale.

YXSUMcm.jpg

r28FYMB.jpg
JN1wry3.jpg

The steel lintel going above the bi-folds was meant to go in today, but unfortunately it hasn't been manufactured in time, so that'll be done next week now, along with the gables and roof construction.

Oh, also, the building inspector came and signed this stage off, so will next attend when we've go the roof on! :D

Soldato
OP
No you’re right they are smaller. The updated drawings have a lot more detail and text all over them, so probably easier to look at the ones I’ve posted as an idea of what we are trying to achieve. The model is largely the same but you’re right the opening is a bit smaller.
For what it’s worth, the opening is 3.6m for a 3.5m door that i mentioned earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
No you’re right they are smaller. The updated drawings have a lot more detail and text all over them, so probably easier to look at the ones I’ve posted as an idea of what we are trying to achieve. The model is largely the same but you’re right the opening is a bit smaller.
For what it’s worth, the opening is 3.6m for a 3.5m door that i mentioned earlier in this thread.
To be fair, getting a steel to support a span of 5 odd metres I believe you start getting increased depths, which you don't want, so it's a bit of a balance.

Any more photos?

Soldato
Week 4:

The whole building collapsed because the bolts failed.

Only joking.

Floor joists have gone in, and the perimeter of block work began.

d4JOjeM.jpg

tb2BT8o.jpg

OavC5KI.jpg
Wife for scale.

YXSUMcm.jpg

r28FYMB.jpg
JN1wry3.jpg

The steel lintel going above the bi-folds was meant to go in today, but unfortunately it hasn't been manufactured in time, so that'll be done next week now, along with the gables and roof construction.

Oh, also, the building inspector came and signed this stage off, so will next attend when we've go the roof on! :D

Far too soon for the bi-folds tbh. They'd get damaged - later the better. Just before they plaster.

Soldato
OP
To be fair, getting a steel to support a span of 5 odd metres I believe you start getting increased depths, which you don't want, so it's a bit of a balance.

Any more photos?

Trying to keep them weekly so that I can summarise a little bit, but here's one of the lintel in, plus a bit of roof:

LJvxTpj.jpg

Any particular areas of interest?

Back
Top Bottom