Angle grinder proof locks - what about the bike stand ?

Associate
I've watched some videos about the relatively new angle grinder resistant bike locks, and I'll likely buy one.

But it did occur to me to wonder how many bike racks or railing that are locked to are also angle grinder proof/resistant ? Most seem to be a bit of hollow mild steel tube.

Can you even get a hardened steel bike rack/railing ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The bike railings near where I work didn't last long against an angle grinder when some yobs decided to cut half of them up to use the tubes to launch fireworks... police didn't seem to give any more ***** than the nobs who did it.

Soldato
It's all about making the bike less appealing then the next one. Have a less desirable bike and strong D lock threaded through the frame and rear wheel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Public stands, basically none of them.

The scrotes round here cut through the stands and then put stickers over the cuts to disguise them.

Man of Honour
Public stands, basically none of them.

The scrotes round here cut through the stands and then put stickers over the cuts to disguise them.

I always wince when I see people locking up a like 3 grand bike to public stands or any kind of stand directly accessible to the public. Even if someone doesn't steal it there are too many empty headed nobs who'll vandalise it just because.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I always wince when I see people locking up a like 3 grand bike to public stands or any kind of stand directly accessible to the public. Even if someone doesn't steal it there are too many empty headed nobs who'll vandalise it just because.

Yep, had a nice fixed gear bike in my youth that I left outside a pub and some **** just kicked in the back wheel because they were either just a scumbag or they couldn't steal it.

Man of Honour
I now know 3 cyclists where they couldn't angle grind the lock so they cut through the crossbar or sidebars at the rear and took the bike away like that.
They would then be able to get somebody to weld it and disguise the cut.
Obviously a bit of work putting new brake and gear cables on which takes minutes.

Soldato
typically the frame is cut when it's quicker than cutting the lock or the stand - rather than repair the frame the bike is stripped for valuable parts. It's a smaller return, but when it's 100% profit they dont care.

Soldato
If you are leaving a bike on public stand I'd treat it as disposable, and not put much money into it. Or get a folding bike and bring it inside.

Man of Honour
I was just going to say or leave your bike where others can see it then decided to look if I can show you where I leave mine.
That is one of my bikes on a £100 D Lock and cable :)

bikehospital.jpg

Associate
Locks and chains are just to stop chancers and addicts walking off with your stuff, if a thief turns up with kit theyll take it anyway they can or destroy it trying. I hate the feeling of going away on the motorbikes constantly worried its not going to be there when you come back to it. S****y times we live in nowadays.

Man of Honour
It’s sad that the police don’t give a crap. Bikes get stolen daily from our local train station, neither the staff nor the police care. No wonder it happens so much.

Man of Honour
This is how seriously I take my bike security at home :)

Locked gates
That rasp and lock cost around £80
Garage Defender
CCTV
£50 motorbike chain & lock that my wife couldn't pick up off the floor.

If they steal my bikes they deserve them.

bikesecurity.jpg

Soldato
It’s sad that the police don’t give a crap. Bikes get stolen daily from our local train station, neither the staff nor the police care. No wonder it happens so much.

If I had a public bike parking area I'd also say that its on your head to secure your property.

Large businesses can't even guarantee to themselves that they won't get robbed on a daily basis.

Soldato
If I had a public bike parking area I'd also say that its on your head to secure your property.

Large businesses can't even guarantee to themselves that they won't get robbed on a daily basis.
Traditionally policing and crime of public areas is the remit of the police.

Back
Top Bottom