Angle grinder proof locks - what about the bike stand ?

Associate
Cant really win with these locks, either they cut with a grinder or you watch a video from the lock picking lawyer and then have no faith in it

Soldato
You think its not pickable?

Edit: For clarity, im not suggesting that some scrote normally toting an angle grinder is going to have the skills to do it.

Just simpler to cut it, also you've got a noisy lethal weapon. Should be treated the same as having a knife.

Soldato
Sad state of affairs really. :( It's why I walk to the station.

In fairness to our station they have bike lockers. No one uses the racks, not more than once anyway. Folding bike solved it for me for a while. Until my trains got too overcrowded to fit the folding bike. Was like sardines. Post lockdown there's space for the folding bike again. Though I'm getting dirty looks if I bring the bike to the desk. So it goes into the cage. Which they've finally replaced the cable ties securing it with actual metal plate.

Associate
No point spending too much on a lock, you just need one that strong enough to survive being hit with something, if they have a grinder they'll just cut whatever you've locked it too or your bike.
No bike thief is carrying lock picks, I have a set of picks and i cant pick most of my locks and the ones i can i cant do quickly and consistently.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You think its not pickable?

Somehow I don't think bike thieves walk around with lockpicks spending an age to do it.
The people who do the lockpicking either buy the locks or are loaned them to work on for hours and I can't see scrotes doing that.
There are no videos on You Tube where anybody has picked the Litelock's - yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
"...A valuable item not on display cannot get attention .... ... A bike or its parts ARE the valuable item yet standard procedure is to fully display the whole thing ..."

You said don't put a bike on display. Now your saying use public bike racks and fences....

Still scrambling things I did say and saying things I didn't.

You need to be your own judge of what is ok for your bike.

I did say I used public bike racks and fences and locked bikes up inside at night. If the scenario changed to a £4k ebike then dammed if I leave that on a public bike rack ever even in daylight.

Soldato
I always wince when I see people locking up a like 3 grand bike to public stands or any kind of stand directly accessible to the public.
You'll love this then. There's a guy that 'locks' his Yeti (think it's an Uncaged) to a fence by Newcastle bus station with nothing more than what looks to be a Poundland cable lock.

Man of Honour
You'll love this then. There's a guy that 'locks' his Yeti (think it's an Uncaged) to a fence by Newcastle bus station with nothing more than what looks to be a Poundland cable lock.

When the old Ward 86 was there to the left of the multi-story somebody used to lock their bike to a wooden post.
The amount of Poundland locks at the hospital is ridiculous.

Soldato
When the old Ward 86 was there to the left of the multi-story somebody used to lock their bike to a wooden post.
The amount of Poundland locks at the hospital is ridiculous.
I use that secure bike shed around by the Lyme building, but just outside of the secure shed somebody locks a carbon framed Orbea to a fence with a Poundlock cable lock. Every time I walk past I'm amazed it's still there.

Associate
OP
I am thinking of putting a heavy duty eye bolt anchored in the concrete in my garage for locking my bike to. But its also the same garage with my angle grinder, oscilating tool with carbide blades (cuts stainless steel bolts great !), and recipricating saw with metal cutting blades :D

Associate
I am thinking of putting a heavy duty eye bolt anchored in the concrete in my garage for locking my bike to. But its also the same garage with my angle grinder, oscilating tool with carbide blades (cuts stainless steel bolts great !), and recipricating saw with metal cutting blades :D
We have our cutting tools hidden from sight in the garage for this very reason

Man of Honour

Post 15, that very thick chain is anchored to the floor.

Back
Top Bottom