Angle grinder proof locks - what about the bike stand ?

Soldato
Exactly how do you "deter" crime of people taking angle grinders to locks.

Oh no my property costing £XXXX that was trivially connected to street furniture was stolen with brute force... Why doesn't the train station or the police provide security to cover my poor judgement of leaving valuable goods poorly secured!

Anything less than an enclosed lockup is utter **** for securing a bike. Get rid of the dreams that a bit of chain or bar is a meaningful protection and have another think about the value of property you're leaving on the street which can be taken away in seconds with correct tools either by cutting the lock, the street furniture or the bike, whichever gives the best result of profit vs risk.

Soldato
Oh no my property costing £XXXX that was trivially connected to street furniture was stolen with brute force... Why doesn't the train station or the police provide security to cover my poor judgement of leaving valuable goods poorly secured!

Anything less than an enclosed lockup is utter **** for securing a bike. Get rid of the dreams that a bit of chain or bar is a meaningful protection and have another think about the value of property you're leaving on the street which can be taken away in seconds with correct tools either by cutting the lock, the street furniture or the bike, whichever gives the best result of profit vs risk.

Oh no my secure lock up that was trivially locked with a bit of bar or chain, can be cut open with the same angle grinder and brute forced.

Makes no difference on street or in a lockup. Cheap bike or expensive one, no difference, they steal anything and everything.

They fear no enforcement, because there is none. If you let the little things, slide they turn into big things. TBH if the train station or police can't protect train stations. They should just tell people not to lock their bikes near the station as they will be stolen.

Soldato
Oh no my secure lock up that was trivially locked with a bit of bar or chain, can be cut open with the same angle grinder and brute forced.

Makes no difference on street or in a lockup. Cheap bike or expensive one, no difference, they steal anything and everything.

They fear no enforcement, because there is none. If you let the little things, slide they turn into big things. TBH if the train station or police can't protect train stations. They should just tell people not to lock their bikes near the station as they will be stolen.

No difference you say. A a devotion to outsourcing the responsibility to someone else.

A valuable item not on display cannot get attention or the same confidence in weighing up and carrying out an attack. Basic car parking security involves concealing any valuable items. A bike or its parts ARE the valuable item yet standard procedure is to fully display the whole thing and make a surprised face when it's yoinked.

And you're quite wrong about the train station, they look after their property and stick up a sign saying that you are parking at your own risk.

Soldato
No difference you say. A a devotion to outsourcing the responsibility to someone else.

A valuable item not on display cannot get attention or the same confidence in weighing up and carrying out an attack. Basic car parking security involves concealing any valuable items. A bike or its parts ARE the valuable item yet standard procedure is to fully display the whole thing and make a surprised face when it's yoinked.

And you're quite wrong about the train station, they look after their property and stick up a sign saying that you are parking at your own risk.

More like those responsible for crime abdicating the responsibility.

So don't use or buy an item and it won't get stolen. Or hide it away in a bunker (which doesn't work either) That advice is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I said put up a sign saying it WILL get stolen. Maybe some stats about how many bikes have been stolen from that location.

Soldato
I've watched some videos about the relatively new angle grinder resistant bike locks, and I'll likely buy one.

But it did occur to me to wonder how many bike racks or railing that are locked to are also angle grinder proof/resistant ? Most seem to be a bit of hollow mild steel tube.

Can you even get a hardened steel bike rack/railing ?

Those locks can still be cut.

Luckily you'll almost always find more expensive bikes to park beside, and people with worse locks than you.

You don't have to out run the bear. You just have not be the slowest person running from the bear.

Soldato
More like those responsible for crime abdicating the responsibility.

So don't use or buy an item and it won't get stolen. Or hide it away in a bunker (which doesn't work either) That advice is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I said put up a sign saying it WILL get stolen. Maybe some stats about how many bikes have been stolen from that location.

Nah you're spouting weird statements and purporting them as mine.

Hang on...

Those locks can still be cut.

Luckily you'll almost always find more expensive bikes to park beside, and people with worse locks than you.

You don't have to out run the bear. You just have not be the slowest person running from the bear.

5 seconds later you are able to describe efforts by the owner to deter crime affecting their property.

Soldato
Nah you're spouting weird statements and purporting them as mine.

Hang on...

5 seconds later you are able to describe efforts by the owner to deter crime affecting their property.

Good luck with using a bicycle and not have any one see it as you suggested....or hiding it away like Gollum.

Soldato
Yep, had a nice fixed gear bike in my youth that I left outside a pub and some **** just kicked in the back wheel because they were either just a scumbag or they couldn't steal it.

Used to see that a lot more before battery operated grinders.

Soldato
Good luck with using a bicycle and not have any one see it as you suggested....or hiding it away like Gollum.

Your words are not what I said and this is the second time you're doing it. Weird stuff.

Overflowing with good luck here, having used public bike racks and fences for over a decade in Cambridge and tucking the bikes up inside at night.

If you don't respect the value of your bike and arrange your security accordingly then you're not doing your best to look after what's yours.

Man of Honour
If you don't respect the value of your bike and arrange your security accordingly then you're not doing your best to look after what's yours.

I can walk around the hospital and the staff that put £5 ALDI locks on them is astounding.
We had an incident around 3 years ago where there was a "Help Alice to buy a new bike" Go Fund Me page because she had bought a new £2000 eBike to get to work and back.
She had left it outside A&E on her first day unlocked because she didn't think anybody would steal it :eek:

Soldato
"...A valuable item not on display cannot get attention .... ... A bike or its parts ARE the valuable item yet standard procedure is to fully display the whole thing ..."

words are not what I said and this is the second time you're doing it. Weird stuff.

Overflowing with good luck here, having used public bike racks and fences for over a decade in Cambridge and tucking the bikes up inside at night.

You said don't put a bike on display. Now your saying use public bike racks and fences....

That they need a couple of grinders suggests there's one or more decent locks on it.

One of my main commuter bike is about 25 years old. It's really just been luck it hasn't been stolen. I'm in no illusion that is due to anything else.

In my current job we share a car park that requires access through two electric security gates, is monitored by security via camera's . Our bike stands are in a cage. But until recently the lock on our cage was secured with cable ties. The other company has no cage just a rack. Regularly enough bikes are stolen from the other companies rack. I leave a heavy lock at work with a heavy cable. But reality is my bike is just not that interesting to them. One day the heavy lock might draw their attention. It's just been luck.

I also use a folding bike and used to bring it to my desk. But they started moaning about that so now it also goes into the cage.

Soldato
I still don't get why known hot spots are not targeted by police. Their recovery rate is appalling. Yet I know people who managed to recover their stolen bike locally.

Associate
I lock mine up on public stands regularly and its always there when I get back. It's fully insured so other than the inconvenience of having to get home without it, i wouldn't mind someone nicking it all that much..

Soldato
I lock mine up on public stands regularly and its always there when I get back. It's fully insured so other than the inconvenience of having to get home without it, i wouldn't mind someone nicking it all that much..
I was half waiting for mine to be nicked so I'd have an excuse to buy a better one.

Soldato
I also said if I had to spend money on it I'd replace it. Reality is it's like triggers broom, pretty much replaced most of it. Currently has a worn out bottom bracket. Bike shops telling me "....let it go son....."

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I get this advert every day and I've watched the videos, if you're interested in keeping your bike as safe as you can while out of sight this is the best - https://www.litelok.com/products/litelok-x3
However it doesn't stop them cutting through your frame or the bars you clamp it to.

Lol, I typed Litelock in here, goes to Facebook and it's my first advert :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom