Another cinema chain going down the pan

Caporegime
Empire Cinemas is biting the bullet now. Closing pretty much all sites. Also heard that the nearest 3 cineworlds to me are in danger too.

Sad times for cinema. Could soon be a footnote in history

Honestly I'm surprised they lasted this long.
It's a marmite relationship for most people.
I begrudgingly pay full price here, about 20 quid for 2 tickets but I get loads of free tickets from my credit card point rewards thank god.
A family of 4 + drinks and snacks
... Ridiculous price..... Honestly it's zero suprise people stopped going .

I begrudgingly pay full price here, about 20 quid for 2 tickets but I get loads of free tickets from my credit card point rewards thank god.
Aside from the price, the experience is also ruined by morons on their phones the whole time, or having a fat conversation...

(oh and my wife can't sit still for 2 hours, so there's that too)

£33 for two bog standard tickets at my local Odeon. I never go now

It was only ever worth going to the cinema when there’s was something to watch that really benefitted from the big screen and Dolby systems. I remember the last film the four of us saw together (6-7 years ago) cost the thick end of £80.

We were very fortunate that the local Odeon in London was well maintained and patrons behaved themselves every time we visited.

Over here, a standard ticket in my nearest (spotlessly clean) multiplex is £9. Snacks and drinks are sensibly priced as well.

Last edited:
It's just better to watch stuff at home now.
When I went to cinema often I had a 14 inch black and white telly.

It's hard to argue that it's better unless you have a dedicated home cinema room as you're never going to get the same sense of scale or sound without a huge screen and at least two subs and well calibrated surrounds.

Twenty years ago you could watch stuff on a high-end plasma and a good separate sound system and the outlay wasn't much different to what it is now for say an OLED and surround system, but lots more people went to the cinema back then.

The reason people don't go is because it's incredibly expensive as a family and most of the films that come out these days are just a bit rubbish.

Last edited:
£33 for two bog standard tickets at my local Odeon. I never go now

If I didn't have free tickets I wouldn't go either.

If you have no food, driving in, full. Ticket price just 2 people you're looking at nearly 40 pounds. It's too much when watching at home is getting closer and closer to the cinema

Cinema trip for a family That'll be £100+ please... absolutely ridiculous.

I guess they mainly survived on students until now

It's hard to argue that it's better unless you have a dedicated home cinema room as you're never going to get the same sense of scale or sound without a huge screen and at least two subs and well calibrated surrounds.

Twenty years ago you could watch stuff on a high-end plasma and a good separate sound system and the outlay wasn't much different to what it is now for say an OLED and surround system, but lots more people went to the cinema back then.
It’s a lot different imo. No such thing as HD or 4K HDR back then and audio was nowhere near as immersive as it is today

I notice they didn’t get rid of the ads when they bumped prices from around £7 to more like £12 for a standard ticket at my local Odeon.

Luckily there is a Vue near me where you can get £5 tickets still.

Back
Top Bottom