Another cinema chain going down the pan

I suppose it depends what you want in a film. If you are a big action packed blockbuster fan then cinema will always be a cut above, but if you are more of a cerebral movie fan then I argue you get a better experience at home.

Absolutely. I only go to the cinema for visual/audio.

8d go as far as saying if it isn't Imax, sometimes it sounds better at home as some screens are just so bad!

Last edited:
Not surprising as Empire was a relatively small chain of leftover cinemas from when the big chains merged with no unlimited option - some of the sites will probably get snapped back up by Cineworld or Odeon (if allowed).

Cineworld is in administration. I doubt they'll be snapping anything up

Empire was formed from the sites Cineworld/Odeon had to sell off with their mergers with other chains. Unlike cineworld/vue/Odeon they're not connected directly to the distribution network so all their films are bought in and they relied more on the food/drink sales. I'm surprised they've kept half the sites open, they must have managed to strike a deal with those landlords and screwed over the ones who didn't help through covid with the administration action.

Except they're clearly not are they? https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...-new-2023-global-revenue-forecast-1235399513/

COVID has certainly made a correction to people's habits, but there's still a huge number of people spending well at cinemas.. Even to the amount that streamers like AppleTV+ and Amazon are pivoting to theatrical runs first rather than going straight-to-streaming. There will be only one reason for that; money.

Sure, on a tech forum there's bound to be a large majority that spend good money on a home cinema setup (surprise surprise) but back in the real world, a lot of people don't have the space, or money to do that. And they never will.
Its also good to get out. You could literally never leave your house these days with all the delivery/entertainment services available but that would be a dull life.

Not really sure why cinemas are needed any more.

A large OLED, a decent sound system, and the comfort of your own living room is a much nicer experience.

It is also far too expensive.

I imagine it will mostly go the way of the dodo eventually.

Last edited:
Last films I watched at a cinema were the LOTR trilogy.

So around twenty or so years ago.

Quite happy now to watch media in the comfort of my home on an OLED screen with an AV receiver, without the hassle of travel, expensive seats, expensive food, and yobbish, feral yoofs.

Can't ever see me going to a cinema again.

Past its sell by date IMO.

Not really sure why cinemas are needed any more.

A large OLED, a decent sound system, and the comfort of your own living room is a much nicer experience.

It is also far too expensive.
I just did some maths for fun. If you spent £2500 on a home cinema setup, and compare it to spending £30 a pop for two of you to go to the cinema (£15 each) then you’d get 83 cinema visits for the same amount of money. Across for example two years that’s be going on average every 8-9 days. Say you only went every couple of weeks then you’d probably hit 3 years for the equivalent amount of money. Granted I’m not taking into account food etc but there’s nothing stopping you turning up with a bottle of water, watching the film and going home again. You don’t have to have the meal out, popcorn etc.

Anyway, thought that was interesting although I’ve probably done my maths wrong somewhere.

I just did some maths for fun. If you spent £2500 on a home cinema setup, and compare it to spending £30 a pop for two of you to go to the cinema (£15 each) then you’d get 83 cinema visits for the same amount of money. Across for example two years that’s be going on average every 8-9 days. Say you only went every couple of weeks then you’d probably hit 3 years for the equivalent amount of money. Granted I’m not taking into account food etc but there’s nothing stopping you turning up with a bottle of water, watching the film and going home again. You don’t have to have the meal out, popcorn etc.

Anyway, thought that was interesting although I’ve probably done my maths wrong somewhere.

Yeh, but that would mean choosing to not have a TV/speakers in your living room for that maths to work out...

@Scam - if you have enough space for a dedicated home cinema room you probably don’t care whether it represents value for money or not. If it’s not a dedicated room then you’ll be using that set up for watching TV, gaming, etc. so you get other value from it too.

I have a Home Cinema too, but I've not used it for some time. I'm quite happy watching films on the streaming sites these days & it's a bit of a faff to set said Home Cinema up for streaming. I have to consider the neighbours as well, I have a 3/4am start for work weekdays too which doesn't help.

I haven't been to a Chain Cinema since before COVID. I did see the Godfather last year in a small charity run Cinema on its 50th anniversary. It even had the organ come up through the stage! Ticket was £7 & drinks/snacks were reasonable prices.

I think that if Cinemas are to survive here, that it goes down the Everyman route of being a Bar/Resturant with a few small screens attached.

You've forgotten to include the cost of streaming the films - so £19.99 to rent a stream of something that's been in the cinema for about a month vs £18.00ish per person for unlimited day 1 films in the cinema per month..

Watching at home weeks or months later will always be the poor relation to opening day in the cinema - which I guess is why the first showing of MI: DR part 1 is 00:05 Monday morning at my local lol..

Last edited:
Too expensive and not enough interesting films to watch. The only films I've seen at the cinema lately have been replays of old things like Aliens (which was fantastic on a big screen).

Back
Top Bottom