Another cinema chain going down the pan

Soldato
I think this summer will have at least 3 "billion dollar" films (we've had one already) so has the harm already been done to all of the cinema chains by now?
Which ones?

1. Inside Out 2 (?)
2. Deadpool & Wolverine
3. ?????

I was looking at movie trailers earlier and there is absolutely nothing I’m interested in other than Deadpool.

Soldato
@Stu999 Potentially, and only based on the previous films $1.1 billion dollar box office - Joker 2 in October - but I know it's a tough sell if its as much of a "musical" as is being made out and its one of those that could be an utter flop or a billion dollars, I just can't tell right now.

Soldato
I agree with stream delay, some films are still showing in screens when it hits streaming, but interestingly a lot of the "nostalgia" films have been very popular. Running a cinema must be very expensive with the energy use to keep the rooms at temperature and the projectors running, the leases on site will have escalated with inflation and minimum wage hikes affecting staff levels I'm not surprised that sites have to close.

Bedford will be mothballed. That site was dead before Cineworld took over and only recently got new paint and surround sound (yes it's that dated, refurbed in lockdown). They had planned to take over the unit next door and increase to 9 screens but VUE in the town centre killed the expansion plan, it did get busier when the university expanded but the town isn't big enough for 2 cinemas and I suspect those will be the first to go.

Don
Despicable Me 4 could easily do $1bn+.

There's 2 Cineworld in Aberdeen, the one in Union Square and the one at the beach. The beach one is nearly always dead, has free parking and the screens are better set up so my go to, but I suspect it might get canned. They were talking about even putting in an iMax there a couple of years ago.

Soldato
Despicable Me 4 could easily do $1bn+.

It's looking that way, $230m internationally in 5 days already so, with Inside Out 2 hitting $1.25b in its 4th weekend, I'd guess DM4 will hit $1b in about the same time, as its slightly behind IO2's money/time at the moment.

Soldato
The only way to save Cinema would be to bring back the old release delay, no TV or Video for a year+.

You dont think cost is an issue? In the paper the other day for a Family of 4 + snacks and drinks, was crazy expensive.... But then i think food should be banned in the cinema

Caporegime
The only way to save Cinema would be to bring back the old release delay, no TV or Video for a year+.

Certainly less and less appeal going anymore.
The local odeon multiplex cinema and shopping centre is scheduled to be knocked down at some point. That will be the end of cinema for me.
It offered free parking and 5 pounds tickets.

Soldato
You dont think cost is an issue? In the paper the other day for a Family of 4 + snacks and drinks, was crazy expensive.... But then i think food should be banned in the cinema

Cost is only an issue when you compare the full price on display the same as theme parks and chain restaurants. There's 2 for 1 tickets during the week, discounted screenings, voucher codes, family offers and some screens are considerably cheaper when there's competition of another cinema nearby. I've seen couples easily rack up a £50 bill just to ignore a film while my average ticket price and a can of soft drink is currently at £3 a film. One of the reasons I don't usually buy a drink at the cinema is because the queue is too long!

Back
Top Bottom