• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another oddity with my 7900xtx/system.

Associate
OP
New PSU received today and fitted. Completed a full 20 loop stress test of both Time Spy and Speed Way benchmarks in 3d mark without any issues. Also copied all contents from one NVME to another and that was fine too.

Fingers crossed hope this means the issue is now resolved. Will keep an eye on things for a while though.

Quite surprised that the new 1200w PSU is actually smaller than the 1000w one I was using before.

Associate
OP
Would never have guessed this had anything to do with a PSU :o
Indeed - also the fact that it was making the card play up whilst doing that too was confusing. Wouldn't have thought that was anything to do with transient spikes or card power draw etc jut working on desktop stuff. Perhaps there was a general drop in the 12v rail under high cpu/io load too which was causing instability. Who know.

Will see how it goes with the new one (although looking good so far). I haven't got the equipment to do a full PSU extensive test of the old one to see how it's behaving.

Hard to tell though whether it was in fact the psu not liking the gfx card, or the other way around. Could be the 7900XTX is a bit "fussier" than my radeon VII etc. I guess I could try the old rig with the 7900XTX and the old 1000w psu and see if it shows issues then - but not sure I want to be part swapping yet again when things are stable at the moment. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
not sure I want to be part swapping yet again when things are stable at the moment. :D
Yeah, for sure, I wouldn't either :o

Perhaps there was a general drop in the 12v rail under high cpu/io load too which was causing instability. Who know.
Yeah, could be. I know the lanes of one M.2 are wired up through the CPU, as are the GPU lanes, but I've always assumed that's just an electronic feature, not something that would influence power draw.

Back
Top Bottom