Another tyre test review.

Soldato
Eagle f1's are carp, one of them split after a week.

Maybe it was because i hit a 5 1/2inch deep hole in the road at 30mph+, and quick wearing dont think so, my daily drive is 6-10 miles of fast twisty roads and 10 miles of standard road. I have had them 12k miles on the front and they still look new.

Soldato
The 2 Front Fate-O on the (almost) FREE Rover are proving much fun!

It has one worn Dunlop and one new some-other rubbish on the back too!

DANGEROUS!

Soldato
OP
I have to say when I first fitted F1s to the front of my car after about 6k they had started to wear the outer edge on both front wheels quite noticably(not bald but pretty low). I switched them to the rear and put some new F1s on the front which havent worn anywhere near as bad in the same mileage. I dont do the same drive home any more as i moved but the old journey used to take me around a big sloping 360 motorway exit that i used to hammer it around so I put it down to that. My car is known for being heavy on front tyres and brakes and it gets plenty of stick with me behind the wheel. I reckon I will get about 15k out of the fronts this time around which is pretty good considering the grip they offer.

The only tyres I can compare them to on my car are Pirelli P6000(bad choice in the first place I know) and P-Zero Rossis, the F1's blow them both away with the grip they offer in the wet and dry, road noise is far less too.

Associate
GT3 said:
We've had this discussion before, if you drive like a girl get Eagle F1s you will love them - if not, consider something else otherwise you'll be replacing them a lot sooner than you thought :p

Are you calling me a girl? Huh? Huh?

OUTSIDE NOW!!!!!!!!

:p

GT3

GT3

Soldato
TomO said:
it was just a question, no need to get defensive.

Wasn't aimed at you but in response to this comment "Almost certainly due to your car being at fault and nothing to do with the tyres at all".

Fox I don't have a problem with the fact soft compound tyres wear down quicker that billy budget ones, nor do I dispute the eagles amazing wet and good dry grip. It's the fact that the outer tread edge seems to be literally peeling away whilst the centre of the tread is fine, they also give sloppy turn in compared to the yokos I've got now. They just need more rigid sidewalls and they would be great tyres. Yes if I drove my car sensibly then the eagles would last miles and miles as in the centre of the tyre there was tonnes of tread left.

I don't know what tyres to get for mine, I loved the Eagles wet grip, I love the A539's dry grip, precise feel and even wear but the wet performance is simply shocking, Parada Spec 2s aren't avaliable in my size, potenzas are supposed to be awful in the wet, toyos are supposed to last about 5 minutes, maybe michelins?

Soldato
try some pilots, havent used them personally as they always seem a bit pricey, but never really a bad word said about them. always seems to be a 'good' tyre. :)

my mate went from PS2's to conti sportcontacts on his M3 and preffered the pilots (which are OE IIRC)

Soldato
Back to the original discussion for a moment -are the tyres tested going to be UK spec? OK the tread pattern and constuction I'd expect to be the same but what about the rubber compound? Car and Driver are an American magazine and the typical road surfaces over there are quite different to what we get in Blighty and most of Europe.

On the Goodyear F1 thing - I'm planning on fitting them to my Fabia vRS when the OEM Bridgestones are knackered. I don't care about the odd whingeing Paxo owner!

Permabanned
Eagle F1s are in my experience the aboslute bomb. I've had them at every opportunity on every car i've owned, including FWD and RWD applications, and its true, in the wet I struggled to get them to break traction in RWD format on a corner. I have also had experiences whereby they wear on the outer edge, but, as mentioned this is due to their soft sidewalls offering greater grip.

It is my opionion, that ANY decent tyre fitter, (please; Kiwk Fit does not come under that category), would suggest or actually carry out a camber re-alignment / check when these tyres are fitted. With this done I have noticed an increase of some 5-7000 miles increase in life of these tyres, as they wear far more evenly.

I will ALWAYS use Eagel F1, and have done since they were availble, the latest GSD-3 being just awesome.

Soldato
Having driven on Eagle F1's in the past, I must say they are an exceptional tyre. Obviously grip comes at a price (a point only Michelin managed to disprove during the 2005 F1 season!), namely tyre wear. It has to be said that the tyre wear on the F1s is bad, but not terrible, namely better then Yokos.

I am surprised by my new Continental Contact Sport 2s though. They have stiffer side walls then the F1s. In the wet and dry offer equal amounts of grip, possibly a little less then the F1s in the wet but not substantially so. The wear rate is minimal compared to the F1s, we are talking lasting about 40% longer. Cost about the same.

So overall, for me, the Contis come out top.

Oh yeah and to throw a spanner in the works, my F1s wore out on the outer edges on the rear of a FWD car! (<Inside tread 4.5 mm outside tread 0.6mm>) No such problems with the Contis. Explain that!

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Gotta love the snobbery on this forum, yeah I drive a saxo so that must mean I am instantly not allowed an opinion. I also notice its the people with remarkably unremarkable cars themselves who think like this. Yea I drive a saxo, no its not amazing but we all have to start somewhere. Perhaps if I link to this thread here where a few more "respected" members agree with what I say, it may help :confused:

Also Fox, what in gods name has my job (that I don't do anymore btw) got to do with a discussion on tyres? I have noticed recently that your posting trend has changed from informative useful posts to just useless insults/petty remarks - sort it out.

Ok maybe my comment about driving like a girl was a little exaggerated but as Type R has stated Eagle F1's have issues that other tyres don't - even on the rear of a fwd car.

On a lighter note, is there anyone with experiences of Michellin Pilots? Or even perhaps someone who has had both GS-D2 and GS-D3 Eagle F1's who could comment on the differences. I am ideally looking for a tyre like the GS-D2 Eagle F1 I had before but with slightly sharper turn in and more even tyre wear.

Cheers.

Man of Honour
GT3 said:
Gotta love the snobbery on this forum, yeah I drive a saxo so that must mean I am instantly not allowed an opinion. I also notice its the people with remarkably unremarkable cars themselves who think like this. Yea I drive a saxo, no its not amazing but we all have to start somewhere. Perhaps if I link to this thread here where a few more "respected" members agree with what I say, it may help :confused:

That was purely becuase I took issue at your comments that Eagle F1's are only suitable for people who drive like girls - I just found it quite silly that you were basically calling people with cars like modified M5's girls becuase they reckon the F1's are decent, simply becuase of your experience with them on your Saxo, which whilst far from a bad car is nowhere near as demanding on tyres as a modified V8 powered super-saloon or a 200SX.

Back
Top Bottom