Another tyre test review.

Permabanned
I had GSD2s on a FWD car and GSD3 on FWD and RWD cars. I do agree from experience that IMO the GSD2 are a longer lasting tyre, but maybe that was where Goodyear thought their improvment lay, obtaining better grip at the cost of tyre life, although for day to day running, I couldnt really tell the difference.

I would never recommend F1s for a 4WD car like a Subaru, thats just pure idiocity IMO, super soft side walls, all of them being pumulled at the same time by a hell of a lot of power. OK, that may sound like me saying dont put them on performance cars, not at all, but 4wd vehicles need serious (and ongoing)suspension tweaking before they can wear a tyre like the F1.

I remember being a passenger in a 911 (997) wearing special order only 295/35ZR 18 Fronts and 305/30 ZR 19 Eagle GSD3 F1s. They had been on the car for 12,000 and by no means driven 'conservatively'. They looked brand new, and I can honestly say I've never been in a car that gripped so well. Why, the owner of said porsche ran his own Tyre company, including equipment for 4 wheel laser alignment, costing somewhere in the region of £150,000 for this machine to prep race and rally cars.

He knew what he was talking about, and his Porsche was treated once a month to its suspension being rigorously checked.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
That was purely becuase I took issue at your comments that Eagle F1's are only suitable for people who drive like girls - I just found it quite silly that you were basically calling people with cars like modified M5's girls becuase they reckon the F1's are decent, simply becuase of your experience with them on your Saxo, which whilst far from a bad car is nowhere near as demanding on tyres as a modified V8 powered super-saloon or a 200SX.

Granted, maybe the difference lies in the fact that I mainly did town driving which obviously involves more roundabouts and corners. It wasn't you I really meant by that anyway Fox but this guy:

MagicBoy said:
I don't care about the odd whingeing Paxo owner!

Hardly fair imo but not to worry, end of the day we all want tyres that match our particular driving style, car and many other factors. The Eagle F1 GS-D2's were not for me that's all. And as much as I want to try out GS-D3s now I have different sized wheels, my near write-off experience with the GS-D2s has put me off a little bit (which before you say it I am convinced was the tyres fault due to excessive sidewall hammering). Still now the weathers getting better I may just stick with the yokos till June when it's new car time :)

Last edited:
Soldato
GT3 said:
Hardly fair imo but not to worry, end of the day we all want tyres that match our particular driving style, car and many other factors. The Eagle F1 GS-D2's were not for me that's all. And as much as I want to try out GS-D3s now I have different sized wheels, my near write-off experience with the GS-D2s has put me off a little bit (which before you say it I am convinced was the tyres fault due to excessive sidewall hammering). Still now the weathers getting better I may just stick with the yokos till June when it's new car time :)

It was said in jest - don't get your undies in a twist about it!

The Eagle F1s regularly get user recommendations from the other VAG forums and the peeps on Briskoda are happy with the GSD3s on the Fabia so that what counts for me.

Soldato
Even the MX5 boyz, who swear that their car reacts to tyres more than any other, especially when it comes to type of tyre and pressures, swear by F1s!

Soldato
I need 2 new fronts for my 172 and have narrowed the choices down to Michelin PE2s or Goodyear Eagle F1s. As I've currently got PE2s on at the minute however, I'm keen for a direct comparison so am edging towards trying out the F1s. Also, I can get the F1s in the size I need (195/50/R15) for just £32.30 each, which is significantly cheaper than the PE2s.

Associate
I've driven a 1.6 focus with Pirelli P6000's and they were *dangerous*.

I had budget tyres on my 2.0 Focus, they were better than the P6000's but still dangerous.

Got a set of Proxes on my car now, great tyres.

Maybe because they're wider than usual at 205, but the amount of grip in both the wet and dry is immense.

Would like to try some of these F1's if they're so much better than the Toyos... :|

Associate
Got my car in at local tyre place today having some lovely new Eagle F1 GS-D3 rubber stuck on it. Tread was getting low and this thread prompted me to get it sorted. Going from a mix n match combination of 3 brands (2 of which are ditchfinders :p ) so wont be able to offer a good comparison to another decent performing tyre butat least i'll feel a lot safer on the road...

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Can't get the review/test too load but I can comment on Bridgestone RE-050A, not sure if those exact ones were in the review but its what I went for in the end on my car (3000GT) after a lot of research.

My car was previously fitted with Pirelli PZERO Asymettrico or however you spell it and since moving over the Bridgestone RE-050A tyres the car has a serious amount more grip in the wet, these tyres just grip the road. Plus I have noticed much sharper turn-in and quicker steering response. In the dry the grip is awsome and I am still yet to find the limit of these tyres in both wet and dry conditions. Can't really comment on tyre wear but upto now I can not see any tread wear apparrent.

I was considering Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3's but the rumours are soft sidewalls put me off as afterall my car weighs 1700kg so thats a lot of weight to chuck around and weak sidewalls would have hurt handling. The Bridgestone RE-050A is supposedly the best dry performance tyre there is equalling the former S-02 Potenza tyres in the dry but greatly improved in the wet and nearly as good as the F1 GS-D3 under wet conditions but superior in the dry and more suitable for more powerful heavier cars with the stronger sidewalls. Also the Bridgestone RE-050A fairs very well on the track as it does not fall apart and tread wear still remains minimum even after doing several laps of a track. :)

Back
Top Bottom