Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Man of Honour
Good stuff. Not sure I'd be bothered about "wasting" a bag in that case :)

However, I do think pan searing a steak gets better results than using a blow torch. Though I tend to do both - cast iron pan and Searzall.

Tbh with steak, unless it's a really decent thick cut of it, I'll often just do in a pan. It's easy enough to get very good results and less faff.

If I've planned my cooking better I'm more likely to use sous-vide. I'm all about the best results for the least active cooking time so there are definitely times sous-vide wins easily and others where it isn't quite so great. A good example is the cases where braising is often a better choice - lamb neck and ox cheek for instance.

Man of Honour
Has anyone experimented with using fish sauce or similar to fake dry age steak?

e.g. http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2015/08/...e-steak-aging-sauce-and-sansaire-searing-kit/

I'm actually more tempted to try it with something like a roast joint sometime. Some of the testimonials are a bit lol but I can see how fish sauce and sources of glutamine could make things taste better.

I even read about someone that smeared bits of blue cheese on the steak (in addition to the above) to try and get a faux dry age flavour/aroma. Again, sounds a bit silly and obviously wouldn't really do the exact same but if it even got a steak half way there or improved a cheaper cut of beef it could be interesting.

Soldato
Had a sirloin from the local butchers tonight, 54 degree 60 minute cook and then seared in hot pan with butter, and whilst it was okay I've cooked better. What would you guys recommend to show off sous vide?

Soldato
OP
That's a passable combination of temperature and time, but for a cut like sirloin I'd be looking at a smidge higher. But I doubt it would make that much difference - you make or break a sous vide sirloin during finishing.

What about the end result didn't wow you? What about it do you think it was lacking? Have you water-bathed a steak before with better results or was this your first time?

For showing off sous vide, I'd usually resort to something simple that can be cooked in a way that is extremely tricky to pull off via conventional methods. Pork can be a good choice or protein as there's plenty of scope for experimenting - everything from chops to cheeks can be spectacular with sous vide.

Soldato
First timer, so it could have just been a duff steak, also takes way more seasoning than i would normally do.

Was also pee'd off that i couldn't find green peppercorn in brine for my sauce. (tesco, asda, waitrose i'm looking at you)

Soldato
OP
The quality of the steak would have a huge bearing on the final result, but as I said before it's mainly the finishing where things are won or lost. How long did you sear it for and what was your aim - colour, flavour, texture or all three?

Interesting you mention seasoning - not sure why the cooking method would change the amount you needed, but that does lead us back to the steak itself perhaps not being as amazing as you might have thought.

What are your plans for the next dish? Anything you struggle cooking under normal conditions that sous vide might give you the edge with?

Oh, and pink peppercorns > green for steak sauces!

Soldato
OP
FrenchTart;30494414 said:
Has anyone experimented with using fish sauce or similar to fake dry age steak?

e.g. http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2015/08/...e-steak-aging-sauce-and-sansaire-searing-kit/
If it is anything like the other stuff Sansaire are peddling, it'll be something you can already buy that they have rebranded and whacked the price up on.

If it imparts any amount of flavour that is reminiscent of a dry-aged steak, I'd be amazed. It certainly isn't going to alter the flavour or the texture of the inside of the steak, so I don't really see why you need to cook with it in the bag and not just lightly brush it on the steak before you finish it off.

Soldato
glitch;30496055 said:
The quality of the steak would have a huge bearing on the final result, but as I said before it's mainly the finishing where things are won or lost. How long did you sear it for and what was your aim - colour, flavour, texture or all three?

Interesting you mention seasoning - not sure why the cooking method would change the amount you needed, but that does lead us back to the steak itself perhaps not being as amazing as you might have thought.

What are your plans for the next dish? Anything you struggle cooking under normal conditions that sous vide might give you the edge with?

Oh, and pink peppercorns > green for steak sauces!

Seared for 20-30 seconds each side with a 5 minute rest, don't have any issues cooking anything but i've got some lamb leg steaks in fridge to use soon so might sous vide them. Duck breast tonight with a port and blueberry sauce, but i'll pan fry that.

Man of Honour
glitch;30496085 said:
If it is anything like the other stuff Sansaire are peddling, it'll be something you can already buy that they have rebranded and whacked the price up on.

If it imparts any amount of flavour that is reminiscent of a dry-aged steak, I'd be amazed. It certainly isn't going to alter the flavour or the texture of the inside of the steak, so I don't really see why you need to cook with it in the bag and not just lightly brush it on the steak before you finish it off.

Absolutely. The components sound pretty simple really. I agree that the change to texture is unlikely but adding fish sauce and other flavour enhancing stuff could probably improve a cheaper steak a fair bit.

Soldato
OP
My man bugbear with it is the name - steak aging sauce sounds like it's doing something to the meat rather than being something that imparts an aged flavour.

Still, that minor annoyance aside it doesn't seem too hard to replicate. Soy sauce, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mushroom ketchup and balsamic glaze seems like a decent set of ingredients to start experimenting with.

Soldato
Going to be attempting Roast Lamb this weekend. Seen Anova suggest 55c for 8hours for their rosemary and Garlic recipe.

Anyone going to be going for their silicone bag, looks quite good for those without a vacuum sealer.

Soldato
Going to be attempting Roast Lamb this weekend. Seen Anova suggest 55c for 8hours for their rosemary and Garlic recipe.

Anyone going to be going for their silicone bag, looks quite good for those without a vacuum sealer.

What cut are you using?
I was thinking of doing Lamb this Sunday as leg and shoulder is on offer in Morrisons.

Man of Honour
for lamb equal measures of muscavado or dark brown sugar, english mustard powder and crushed garlic. Best coating ever. Even better if there's excess and dribble some over the roast veg.

Back
Top Bottom