1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by glitch, May 6, 2014.

1. valve90210

Mobster

I have a sous vide wand arriving today and am wondering what I can try it with this evening, ideally something that won't take too long but will show off what it can do... I'm thinking an egg might be good, anyone any other suggestions?

2. -BA-

Mobster

Well I'm a lucky chappy. Ordered my Bluetooth version back on the 6th October for the awesome offer of £74 and nothing turned up with no emails for over a week. After a number of frustrated emails passing back and forth, I sent my last one before cancelling my order. In it I complained about the delay and felt it would be a nice gesture for them to ship the WiFi one instead if they were having stocking issues. To my surprise, and their credit, a 900 Watt WiFi one just arrived :D

Thanks for the original heads up on the Gen1, Flibster!

3. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

Got the Sousvidetools Lite chamber vacuum sealer today which prompted me to get my second Anova sorted as well. Got them all set up in the same place. Very happy with the chamber vac. Used it a fair bit today and even tried it with a bag of soup. Works perfectly. A lot slower than my old external vac sealer but better vacuum and seems to seal better too.

[​IMG]

4. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

Awesome. How large is the chamber? Could you fit a 2kg hunk of meat in there, for instance?

5. Itchytrigg

Wise Guy

I'd like to know what containers those are, the one on the right specifically. I've been meaning to get one sorted as I just use my largest pot at the moment.

6. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

You can just about fit a 30cmx40cm bag in it but it's quite shallow (max height 9cm). The beef in the right hand water bath was a 2kg lump but I cut it in two. The whole piece would easily have fitted length and width-wise but would have been a little tight height-wise - might just about have scraped by.

7. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

8. Itchytrigg

Wise Guy

9. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

Aww yeah :eek:

Interesting, thanks. I'm really tempted but meant to be saving for a house deposit :(

10. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

Pea & Ham soup ready for the freezer.

[​IMG]

This thing's going to get a lot of use.

11. Spitfir3

Wise Guy

Have you tried compressed fruit/veg yet?

12. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

Not something that particularly appeals to me - although, I am interested in using it for pickling veg so will be giving that a try sometime in the near future.

13. Glaucus

Man of Honour

suppose I will have to buy a flamethrower with a sous vide machine.

14. Flibster

Caporegime

Those guys are hilarious. I have considered one of those, but they're stupid really.

15. Spitfir3

Wise Guy

Guys, i'm planning on doing the honey roast ham recipe from CS (https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/homemade-honey-glazed-ham). However, I haven't got Instacure no 1 - will that matter? I ended up buying some potassium nitrate from Amazon instead but I just realised that instacure no 1 has potassium nitrite not nitrate!

Can I just go for a normal salt brine or can I use potassium nitrate instead?

Cheers.

16. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

Probably too late now but you can just use the regular salt brine. The meat will just be less pink and will taste more like pork and less like ham.

I think you can get away with using nitrite but I'm not 100% sure. As you've already worked out, it's usually for longer cures and by the time you eat it it has broken down.

17. Spitfir3

Wise Guy

Thanks FT! I ordered Instacure from Amazon in the end so i'll hopefully I can do it for around NYE.

18. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I took mine to use at my sister's last week in bournemouth and now it has lime scale in places i can't reach, grrrrr. What do you guys use to descale it?

19. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

@Spitfir3 - Let us know how it goes :)

@Raymond Lin - I'd imagine you could use the same kind of descaler you use for coffee machines. CalyPuff?

20. montymint

Mobster