Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Man of Honour
Understand that, I think the longer cook for it meant it came out just fine, not at all chewy.

Due to the size of my kitchen I'm at gadget saturisation point and don't have space for any more, although guess I could get rid of the slow cooker for a pressure cooker, as I was potentially looking at one.

I've only tried bread and butter pudding so far but it came out spot on.

I'd agree with the getting rid of the slow cooker idea. A pressure cooker can deal with the same recipes as a slow cooker in addition to being better at everything.

I'll try a longer cook time at 66c and see how I get on, cheers :)

Pet Northerner
Don
I'd agree with the getting rid of the slow cooker idea. A pressure cooker can deal with the same recipes as a slow cooker in addition to being better at everything.

I'll try a longer cook time at 66c and see how I get on, cheers :)

+1 for a pressure cooker. I love my Instantpot, threw my slow cooker away within a week of owning it (the instantpot)

Pet Northerner
Don
Man I'm addicted to this machine, just went to costco and bought some nice sirloins. Vacuum packed them and they are goin in an ice bath tomorrow am ready to cook for tomorrow night.

*excite*

Associate
Anova arrived yesterday so picked up a couple of nice salmon fillets.
Followed guidelines on seriouseats with a little over 30mins at 49C and absolutely delighted with the results.
Perfectly cooked all the way through, moist and tender - really nice result given the variable results I usually get when I cook using more traditional methods.

Really looking forward to some steaks on the weekend.

Soldato
+1 for a pressure cooker. I love my Instantpot, threw my slow cooker away within a week of owning it (the instantpot)

Just got a Pressureking pro and wow am i impressed!

Crockpot is going into storage to save space as there isn't anything it can do over the pressure king pro.

Started off with a 'thick' wet food yesterday, a oriental mixed veg curry with whole chicken legs/thighs. Didn't add any water and all moisture came from coconut milk. Did all of it except for the delicate veg at 15 minutes, then i wacked the rest of it in for a final few minutes so they didn't turn to mush. I added a few potatoes after browning the meat in the hope they disintegrate to an extent and thicken the sauce after it reached pressure and it worked a treat.

Got any recommendations on things to try?

Pet Northerner
Don
Just got a Pressureking pro and wow am i impressed!

Crockpot is going into storage to save space as there isn't anything it can do over the pressure king pro.

Started off with a 'thick' wet food yesterday, a oriental mixed veg curry with whole chicken legs/thighs. Didn't add any water and all moisture came from coconut milk. Did all of it except for the delicate veg at 15 minutes, then i wacked the rest of it in for a final few minutes so they didn't turn to mush. I added a few potatoes after browning the meat in the hope they disintegrate to an extent and thicken the sauce after it reached pressure and it worked a treat.

Got any recommendations on things to try?

I do whole chickens in mine. Takes about 30 minutes then I blow torch the skin to crisp it up !

Pulled Pork Takes about 90-120 minutes - a good 10 hours quicker than the slow cooker :)

Soldato
Thanks, i may just try and translate some of my slow-cooker recipes. I think tomorrow i will try some spare ribs and then finish them on the BBQ outside. Who doesn't love a winter Q?!

Man of Honour
Soldato
Thanks will try the Chile Verde this weekend, although i am not sure about risotto in the pressure cooker, does the rice not go a bit on the mushy side?

I am Italian and grew up eating pasta and risotto with a fair bit more bite than you would get in Italian restaurants here. In a saucepan i just put a little less water but in a pressure cooker do i run the risk of burning if i do this?

Man of Honour
Thanks will try the Chile Verde this weekend, although i am not sure about risotto in the pressure cooker, does the rice not go a bit on the mushy side?

I am Italian and grew up eating pasta and risotto with a fair bit more bite than you would get in Italian restaurants here. In a saucepan i just put a little less water but in a pressure cooker do i run the risk of burning if i do this?

Nope, not mushy at all - unless you overcook it of course (or add too much liquid and then end up having to reduce it down/cook it more) :)

I'm not sure about cooking pasta in the pressure cooker but with risotto you definitely use less liquid than normal. From memory the SE recipe uses something like a 3:1 ratio of liquid to rice (e.g. 300g liquid to 100g) rice. I generally find this to be a little too much and I'll often use a ratio that is closer to the decent pan method for cooking regular rice - i.e. the liquid level is just slightly above the level of the rice.

Associate
Man of Honour
Where do you get your tomatillos and Chilis from for this recipe, in my area they are quite hard to find. Been wanting to make this for a while now

Cheers

Chillies I order online (or just use a combination of green chillies + peppers available from Tesco). Tomatillos I actually just omit/substitute unripe tomatoes. Not ideal but it does the job.

Associate
Day 2 with Anova. Couple of chicken breasts for 3 hours @ 64C (missus decided to go out so just left em in).
Again tender, juicy and perfectly cooked - really impressed with this lil gadget...

Associate
Sounds good by I'd try a bit lower next time. I like 60c for chicken breast personally :)

I shall do, interesting just testing results at different temps.

Had a couple of thick cut sirloins cooked for just over an hour at 132F, perfectly cooked through the thickness but will drop a few degrees off for the next one.

Really am loving the results achieved with every cook, I can easily see this becoming a staple in the kitchen.

Rack of lamb tomorrow, can't wait! (Any tips appreciated in advance... was planning on around 58-60C for just under medium)

Man of Honour
Got to use my christmas present yesterday.

Bernzomatic TS8000 torch with some Map/Pro gas. :D Did spend a while looking for a searzall, but they're rare as rocking horse poo at the moment it seems.

Did some thick cut pork loin steaks at 55°C for 2 hours. Bit longer than planned but still lovely.

Other than upright, how does everyone else store their torches? I've seen remove the gas cylinder, keep it attached but not in the kitchen, keep the cylinder outside, just keep it upright and it'll be fine... mine is currently disconnected but in the kitchen. But I'm tempted to buy one of these and keep it attached and under the breakfast bar with the sous vide and vacuum sealer.

Man of Honour

Bernzomatic TS8000 torch with some Map/Pro gas. :D Did spend a while looking for a searzall, but they're rare as rocking horse poo at the moment it seems.

Did some thick cut pork loin steaks at 55°C for 2 hours. Bit longer than planned but still lovely.

Other than upright, how does everyone else store their torches? I've seen remove the gas cylinder, keep it attached but not in the kitchen, keep the cylinder outside, just keep it upright and it'll be fine... mine is currently disconnected but in the kitchen. But I'm tempted to buy one of these and keep it attached and under the breakfast bar with the sous vide and vacuum sealer.

Shame you couldn't get a Searzall to go with it (though if you do, don't use MAPP gas - you're more likely to damage the Searzall mesh screen). To be honest as much as I like the Searzall you can get great results without it. I still take my Searzall off my torch now and again.

I store mine in the kitchen with the torch still attached. Just make sure it's set to off and there's a safety catch to stop it lighting if it were to fall on the floor and be knocked somehow. I have the stand you've linked to - definitely worth it :)

Caporegime

Now I want one...

Man of Honour
A decent torch is well worth it. Even the cheap B&Q tenner welding torches are good though.

Just chucked some rolled sirloin in my sous vide for a sunday roast. It was sealed with a bit of salt and fish sauce to give it a slightly more aged flavour. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Man of Honour
Shame you couldn't get a Searzall to go with it (though if you do, don't use MAPP gas - you're more likely to damage the Searzall mesh screen). To be honest as much as I like the Searzall you can get great results without it. I still take my Searzall off my torch now and again.

I store mine in the kitchen with the torch still attached. Just make sure it's set to off and there's a safety catch to stop it lighting if it were to fall on the floor and be knocked somehow. I have the stand you've linked to - definitely worth it :)

I don't know whats going on with Searzall, seems impossible to get one or even spares at the moment. I think I'm going to pick up that base and then just leave it attached to the torch and store it with the sous vide and vacuum sealer. Safety catch isn't a problem. Got a gas valve and a trigger safety.

Now I want one...

TS8000 was the one I saw recommended a lot, found reasonably cheap on amazon just before christmas and the other half bought it for me. Well worth it. But, any plumbers torch should work well.

Back
Top Bottom