Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
Not done much with my Anova recently so thought I'd do a nice 24hour Lamb Shoulder joint.

Slapped half a tin of Zhoug paste on it and just bagged it up as that, 24 hours at 62.5c, then a brief spell under the grill to finish. Served it all up with an attempt at iranian rice in the pressure cooker, which came out about 90% right which is the closest I've ever got it. If you've ever had it you'll know it is the most delicious rice in the world, but the effort to make it is so hard to get right. I will be persisting with it!

Ka470c5.jpg

mBiV8xK.jpg

Soldato
Not done much with my Anova recently so thought I'd do a nice 24hour Lamb Shoulder joint.

Slapped half a tin of Zhoug paste on it and just bagged it up as that, 24 hours at 62.5c, then a brief spell under the grill to finish. Served it all up with an attempt at iranian rice in the pressure cooker, which came out about 90% right which is the closest I've ever got it. If you've ever had it you'll know it is the most delicious rice in the world, but the effort to make it is so hard to get right. I will be persisting with it!

Tell me more about the rice. Is it the same as Persian rice.

Soldato
I'd say that looks a little over-done but seen as it;s a shoulder joint I guess it's spot on. Nice pinkeness does not go well for slow-cook cuts does it :)

And zhoug paste! I discovered this whilst in the US (bizarrely). My veggie hosts mixed simple french beans in it as a side dish and it was lovely! I bought some from Ocado and unfortunately it's not half as nice. I guess you need the fresh stuff.

Soldato
Tell me more about the rice. Is it the same as Persian rice.

Yeah same stuff. Used this recipe. Needed more oil butter on the bottom to stop the sticking but the taste of the rice was sublime. https://www.tastecooking.com/recipes/green-persian-rice-tahdig/ Had a very thin Tahdig but it was so tasty. Was worried I'd burn it so only left it in for 9 minutes on saute but would go for 12-14 next time around. Think I needed to do more rice as I only did it for 2 and so the rice wasn't piled massively high.

I'd say that looks a little over-done but seen as it;s a shoulder joint I guess it's spot on. Nice pinkeness does not go well for slow-cook cuts does it :)

And zhoug paste! I discovered this whilst in the US (bizarrely). My veggie hosts mixed simple french beans in it as a side dish and it was lovely! I bought some from Ocado and unfortunately it's not half as nice. I guess you need the fresh stuff.

Yeah it was a little over what I'd like but the taste and texture were sublime. I only bought it as it was in sainsburys reduced from £4 to 50p, will see if they have any more later in the week. Presume it is the same stuff, I would use more in the bag if I did it again as the taste was quite restrained. I used all the juice and sauce in the bag and thickened it up into a lovely thick gravy to pour over it.

Soldato
I'm getting dragged to IKEA today :( What are the bags people get from there? The only ones I can say are apparently freezer safe but only good up to 50c ? Thanks.

Edit: it seems it's the Lidl ones that are recommended, not ikea?

Soldato
Big old piece of Sirloin - 550g or so, salt and pepper seasoned then chucked in the bag, 52c for a couple of hours then finished off in the Le Creuset Grillit for a short sear on each side.

Post Sous Vide

PkWN6YQ.jpg

And ready to eat!

kyfNCrq.jpg

Soldato
Anyone using a cool box for the water bath.
Very tempted by the Nano but wait for another sale fingers crossed for soon after Christmas.

Soldato
Anyone using a cool box for the water bath.
Very tempted by the Nano but wait for another sale fingers crossed for soon after Christmas.

Yes I've got one. Cut a hole in the top for the Anova where one of the drinks holders is when you turn it upside down. I then either fill it completely with water or use a gastronorm for smaller pieces. if I completely fill it with water it does take a long time to heat up.

Associate
We tend to use hot water from the tap, and maybe a bit from the kettle to get it close to temperature to start with. Doesn't take long to get up to temperature from there.

Back
Top Bottom