Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
Hot hot pan
I think @Hodders would get some serious burns if you chuck a piece of duck fat-side down into a scorching pan :confused:

Duck has so much fat you need to render it down slowly. Most recipes call for it to be cooked from a cold pan, no? I'm not sure what the 54c in SV does to the fat, does it render it out at all? If not and you chuck it in a searing hot pan, you'll get a thin layer of crispy fat hidden by a chunk of un-rendered fat underneath. Probably hence why it wasn't crispy as a whole. I'm not sure what the answer is though, render it in a pan first, then SV then sear? (dunno) :confused:

Soldato
Looking into asking for a sous vide wand for christmas, just wondering if it's worth getting a bluetooth/wifi enabled one or not. Would anyone care to share thoughts on if it's an actually useful feature, or just a bit gimmicky and most of the time you just do it manually? Thanks.

Soldato
I have the Anova wifi version and don't really use the wifi feature. Mind you, I haven't used the Anova for ages either :( I'm wondering if I'd use it more if I bought their new vacuum sealer and roll of bags. If I did that I'd be more confident in leaving stuff in water during the day perhaps...

Soldato
Hi Guys,
Bit urgent if someone can help me. Got one of these
That i want to cook for Sunday lunch 13:00ish. My question is how long do we reckon to sous vide? I have seen several suggestions. So was thinking 58oC for 44 hours? I say 44 due to time i get home friday :D
Thing is i dont know what cut of beef it is as it doesnt say.
Thank you gents :D:D:D:D:D:D

Soldato
60 hours what on earth. Does it really take that long for it all to get to temp? Or is it a case of longer cooking = more tender?

Was more for convienience as I was out from Friday night to Saturday night so wouldn't have been been able to put it in. Longer = Tenderer in theory but as @Rotty says it can go too far. This was actually perfect as it was quite a tough cut.

Don
@Rotty Oh my life, that beef was absolutely out of this world!
Tastiest beef i have ever had. Slightly pink in middle juicy and tenderer than tender!
Thanks, for the recommendations. So christmas dinner is going to be sous vide beef :D and turkey crown now haha :)

excellent stuff, sous vide Turkey crown is top notch too

Man of Honour
Did dark meat turkey roulade and a bbq crown for Christmas. The roulade is a great recipe. Bit of a faff preparation wise with getting the tendons out but not hard. 3 hours at 66 after meat glue and rolling. Tender as anything and looks the part. Woukd do it again.

Back
Top Bottom