Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
I cooked a rib eye this weekend at 57degC for 1 hour then took it out the bath and let it cool before flash frying later on. The steak turned out a little tough, I've not hade this problem previously with cooking straight from the water bath. Have I accidentally broken a cardinal rule?

Man of Honour
Seems an odd move. Unless you intend to leave the centre completely cold and just sear you will cook it more than the doneness you set the waterbath too I would think.

Associate
The way they describe it makes it sound more for professional kitchens rather than home use, so gastro-pubs, small resteraunts I guess. Unless you're cooking for very large numbers of people I wouldn't have thought there was too much benefit, other that it could get the water up to tempertature a little quicker from cold. But as food is sealed in bags anyway, we start off with water from the hot tap to save time.

Soldato
Currently got a bit silverside going at 55, I decided to pre sear for the first time just because on a bigger piece of meat it seems easier to get a nice sear all round before it's cooked, just rubbed in salt, pepper, fresh thyme and fresh rosemary.

Still deciding on how long to leave it on for and if I should do a post sear too, what'd you guys reckon?

Man of Honour
Anyone upgrading to the new Pro model. Next time the standard one is on offer i think i will pick up the bluetooth one.

Unlikely at £369 - That's 5-6 normal Anova Sous Vide units.

It's aimed at commercial kitchen 24x7 use with significantly larger quantities of water.

Man of Honour
Currently got a bit silverside going at 55, I decided to pre sear for the first time just because on a bigger piece of meat it seems easier to get a nice sear all round before it's cooked, just rubbed in salt, pepper, fresh thyme and fresh rosemary.

Still deciding on how long to leave it on for and if I should do a post sear too, what'd you guys reckon?
Probably a bit late now, but....
I normally do beef joints of ~1kg, just the 2 of us and leaves plenty for sarnies. Last time it was from frozen so it was 12 hours. 8 hours is what I'd do from fresh @54°C *this is from memory, pretty sure it's right*

I also post sear, never really done any pre searing.

Soldato
Probably a bit late now, but....
I normally do beef joints of ~1kg, just the 2 of us and leaves plenty for sarnies. Last time it was from frozen so it was 12 hours. 8 hours is what I'd do from fresh @54°C *this is from memory, pretty sure it's right*

I also post sear, never really done any pre searing.

i went with 56 as the other half prefers it slighlty less pink. I put it in about 9 and took it out at 4ish so about 7 hours in total. Pre sear gave it a much more even sear all round (from cold) and the post sear just helped me lose the vacuum bag shape and relax the meat a little. Excuse potato phone pics.

GULt6mi.jpg

4KDp9k7.jpg

was only a small 500g joint for the two of us, was beautiful.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend zip lock bags suitable for a leg of lamb?

Do you not have a vacuum sealer? I guess not if your asking. Zip lock by baco (i think they are the original zip locks bag im not sure tho)do some bloody massive bags that might fit your needs. I use a smaller version to do my eggs benedict and they hold up fine. With meat however just be sure to get as much air out as possible using displacement before sealing.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend something efficient to use the sous vide in? I have the anova precision cooker and need something it will easily sit in and not leak heat.

One of those ice cooler things, chop a hole in the top (anova is the same size as a cup holder in the lid, and then whack a gastronorm inside for smaller cooks or fill it all the way up for big joints etc.

Associate
Do you not have a vacuum sealer? I guess not if your asking. Zip lock by baco (i think they are the original zip locks bag im not sure tho)do some bloody massive bags that might fit your needs. I use a smaller version to do my eggs benedict and they hold up fine. With meat however just be sure to get as much air out as possible using displacement before sealing.

Thanks for the reply. I can only seem to find small and medium Baco bags, which worked fine for my first try. I'll buy some Ziploc ones from Amazon I think.

Back
Top Bottom