Anti-semitic is a bit of a push, no?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
What is this weirdly suspicious push of antisemitism on Corbyn? It seems quite far fetched without much justification.

The reports are of a reply to a comment about the 'Freedom of Humanity' mural by some fella going by the alias mear one:

In October 2012, street artist Mear One posted a picture of his mural in east London called "Freedom of Humanity" on Facebook, with the words: "Tomorrow they want to buff my mural. Freedom of expression. London calling. Public Art."

Mr Corbyn replied: "Why? You are in good company. Rockerfeller destroyed Diego Viera's mural because it includes a picture of Lenin."

Mear One - whose real name is Kalen Ockerman - has denied being anti-Semitic, saying the mural was about "class and privilege".

Here it is, someone explain this antisemitism to me please.

fORzGUZ.jpg

I'm not a labour supporter, although I do like Corbyn as a person. There always seems to be some far fetched scheme to discredit him every other day. Who's pushing these? It can't just be media bias, right?

Soldato
Because it depicts a group of Jewish bankers and businessesmen counting money and playing 'real world' monopoly on the backs of the 'oppressed' thereby supporting the conspiracy that there is a shadow, worldwide Jewish conspiracy controlling the world?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Im not too clued up on silly conspiracy theories,
Though I recognise the Illuminati sign

What makes them Jewish? Maybe the one on the far left looks like a stereotypical rabbi type but the others just look like standard old white guys.

Man of Honour
As above, it depicts Jewish bankers as part of the Illuminati.

Got to say, though, that's some really good art skills as far as the quality of painting goes.

Soldato
Im not too clued up on silly conspiracy theories,
Though I recognise the Illuminati sign

What makes them Jewish? Maybe the one on the far left looks like a stereotypical rabbi type but the others just look like standard old white guys.

The author confirms that at least he intended some of thoose depicted to be Jewish ....

Things like the noses, moustaches and glasses are fairly clear identifiers

Soldato
All I see in that photo are a bunch of elites playing monopoly on the backs of a few of their slaves.

What have Jews got to do with this?

I think some elites are annoyed that the fact that slavery never ended is becoming common knowledge. The elite have tried, on many occasions, to stage an end to slavery and propaganda to tell citizens that slavery is non-existent. However that is simply not the case and slavery is becoming more and more established by the day. Some people are able to recognise this and expose it in art forms such as this, and that is why this is being labelled as anti-semetic, just because some elites don't like it.

Caporegime
According to the BBC, the letter that was sent says the following:

They say the Labour leader has "sided with anti-Semites" either because of "the far left's obsessive hatred of Zionism"....

The letter says those who push anti-Semitic material view Mr Corbyn as "their figurehead" and that he is "the only person with the standing to demand that all of this stops."

I've no issue with Jewish people, but I do criticise the Israeli government for some of their actions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28439404

Which isn't to say that all of the people of Israel were at fault for that decision, of course.

Same as I was critical of Blair for taking us to war with Iraq again for no real reason, but wouldn't blame all Brits or Christians for that decision (Blair was supposedly very religious)

I'm not even idiologically far left, and maybe I'm misunderstanding what anti-zionism" is, but to me it's overly aggressive expansion of the Israeli state by land annexation and military force.

The letter seems to be implying that we shouldn't be critical of that?

Last edited:
Associate
OP is right though. There is always a new attack on Corbyn over some sort of anti-Semitism or links to Russia or Iran.

Oh Jeremy, did you once do an interview on RT news? HERETIC!

You did an interview for Al Jazeera too! DISGUSTING!

What's that, you declared your support for Palestinians? ANTI-SEMITE NAZI SCUM!!

Soldato
"They accuse [Mr Corbyn] of a far left world view which they say is instinctively hostile to mainstream Jewish communities," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme,

"What they mean by that is a view of Israel as inherently a sort of neo-colonialist, imperialist power oppressing Palestinians, associated with America..."

This was my favourite part of the article. They sum up the state of Israel (excuse the pun) fantastically. If they didn't want people to feel that way, perhaps they should stop being all of the above. Why the hell wouldn't we oppose zionism?

Soldato
read the letter itself -

Today, leaders of British Jewry tell Jeremy Corbyn that enough is enough. We have had enough of hearing that Jeremy Corbyn “opposes antisemitism”, whilst the mainstream majority of British Jews, and their concerns, are ignored by him and those he leads. There is a repeated institutional failure to properly address Jewish concerns and to tackle antisemitism, with the Chakrabarti Report being the most glaring example of this. Jeremy Corbyn did not invent this form of politics, but he has had a lifetime within it, and now personifies its problems and dangers. He issues empty statements about opposing antisemitism, but does nothing to understand or address it. We conclude that he cannot seriously contemplate antisemitism, because he is so ideologically fixed within a far left worldview that is instinctively hostile to mainstream Jewish communities. When Jews complain about an obviously antisemitic mural in Tower Hamlets, Corbyn of course supports the artist. Hizbollah commits terrorist atrocities against Jews, but Corbyn calls them his friends and attends pro-Hizbollah rallies in London. Exactly the same goes for Hamas. Raed Salah says Jews kill Christian children to drink their blood. Corbyn opposes his extradition and invites him for tea at the House of Commons. These are not the only cases. He is repeatedly found alongside people with blatantly antisemitic views, but claims never to hear or read them. Again and again, Jeremy Corbyn has sided with antisemites rather than Jews. At best, this derives from the far left’s obsessive hatred of Zionism, Zionists and Israel. At worst, it suggests a conspiratorial worldview in which mainstream Jewish communities are believed to be a hostile entity, a class enemy. When Jeremy Corbyn was elected leader of the Labour Party, Jews expressed sincere and profound fears as to how such politics would

impact upon their wellbeing. Our concerns were never taken seriously. Three years on, the Party and British Jews are reaping the consequences. Routine statements against antisemitism “and all forms of racism” get nowhere near dealing with the problem, because what distinguishes antisemitism from other forms of racism is the power that Jews are alleged to hold, and how they are charged with conspiring together against what is good. This is not only historic, or about what Jeremy Corbyn did before being Party leader. It is also utterly contemporary. There is literally not a single day in which Labour Party spaces, either online or in meetings, do not repeat the same fundamental antisemitic slanders against Jews. We are told that our concerns are faked, and done at the command of Israel and/or Zionism (whatever that means); that antisemitism is merely “criticism of Israel”; that we call any and all criticism of Israel “antisemitic”; that the Rothschilds run the world; that ISIS terrorism is a fake front for Israel; that Zionists are the new Nazis; and that Zionists collaborate with Nazis. Rightly or wrongly, those who push this offensive material regard Jeremy Corbyn as their figurehead. They display an obsessive hatred of Israel alongside conspiracy theories and fake news. These repeated actions do serous harm to British Jews and to the British Labour Party. Jeremy Corbyn is the only person with the standing to demand that all of this stops. Enough is enough.

Soldato
To be fair this is one of the weaker links made between Corbyn and something deemed to harm his standing as potential prime minister.

At worst the mural is only implicitly anti semitic. I wouldn't have been leading the calls to have it banned /removed.... Much like laws which seek to criminalise holocaust denial I think the end result is counter productive.

Caporegime
All I see in that photo are a bunch of elites playing monopoly on the backs of a few of their slaves.

The visual imagery is very close to that used in older anti-Semitic pieces, and that's the problem with this stuff. If you're versed in the old propaganda then it looks like it's trying to invoke old prejudices, if you're not then it looks like a more straightforward anti-Capitalist piece. It's seems like even the artist didn't recognise what the images he was inspired by meant.

The rise of "dog whistle" racism means that it's hard to say what is deliberate and what isn't. In terms of an appropriate response by the council I don't think it really matters.

Back
Top Bottom