Anti-semitic is a bit of a push, no?

Soldato
https://skwawkbox.org/2018/03/26/20...our-antisemitism-claims-heres-what-they-said/

Allegations that the Labour Party under Jeremy Corbyn suddenly became antisemitic are not, of course, new. They began almost as soon as Corbyn shocked the Establishment – in and out of the party – by his landslide first leadership election victory in 2015.

In 2016, the Commons Home Affairs Committee (CHAC) convenedto investigate and report on the claims.

The investigating MPs on the committee were all opponents of Jeremy Corbyn – six Tories, one SNP and two ‘centrist’ Labour MPs, of whom one had called on Corbyn to resign a couple of months earlier and the other had resigned from the front bench as soon as Corbyn became leader, rather than serve the party under him

Those MPs had no incentive to find Labour blameless. At least some of them positively wanted to find Labour guilty of an ‘antisemitism problem’ – and went to the media afterwards to try to ‘spin’ the committee’s findings against the party.

But in their official report – the formal record of their findings that they could be held accountable for in future – this was their conclusion:

Despite significant press and public attention on the Labour Party, and a number of revelations regarding inappropriate social media content, there exists no reliable, empirical evidence to support the notion that there is a higher prevalence of antisemitic attitudes within the Labour Party than any other political party.

Six Tories, one SNP, two Labour MPs with close connections to Israel – and they had to conclude that there was no evidence of a Labour‘antisemitism problem’.

Of course, Labour has people with antisemitic attitudes among its members. Society has such people and Labour draws its members from it.

But no evidence that there is a ‘higher prevalence’.

In fact, there is significant evidence that Labour has less – the Campaign against Antisemitism (CAA) recently found that forty percent of Tory members hold antisemitic attitudes, much higher than Labour.

Yet the CAA is one of the groups now calling for protests against the Labour Party – not against the Tories.

Jewish Voice For Labour concur they do NOT agree with the attack on JC :

http://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/jvl/a-jvl-statement-on-the-current-attacks-on-jeremy-corbyn/

Soldato
I think this anti jew thing must be a London bubble only thing, and I dont think anyone else anywhere in the country is bothered, or even would recognise anti sematism if it was there. I know I cant. So I really cant see anyone doing anything wrong and the whole thing is rather silly imo.

Caporegime
It's the Great Seal of the United States. Not the illuminati, isn't it?

It's on the reverse of the Great Seal.

440px_Great_Seal_of_the_United_States_obverse_svg.png

Great_Seal_of_the_United_States_reverse_svg.png

The 1782 resolution adopting the seal blazons the image on the reverse as "A pyramid unfinished. In the zenith an eye in a triangle, surrounded by a glory, proper." The pyramid is conventionally shown as consisting of 13 layers to refer to the 13 original states.

The adopting resolution provides that it is inscribed on its base with the date MDCCLXXVI (1776, the year of the United States Declaration of Independence) in Roman numerals. Where the top of the pyramid should be, the Eye of Providence watches over it. Two mottos appear: Annuit cœptis signifies that Providence has "approved of (our) undertakings."

Novus ordo seclorum, freely taken from Virgil, is Latin for "a new order of the ages." The reverse has never been cut (as a seal) but appears, for example, on the back of the one-dollar bill.

(Source).

Soldato
At worst the mural is only implicitly anti semitic. I wouldn't have been leading the calls to have it banned /removed.... Much like laws which seek to criminalise holocaust denial I think the end result is counter productive.

Whilst I don't disagree about holocaust denial treatment seems disproportionate to the illness and I'm happy we don't have a holocaust denial crime let the idiots out themselves as idiots. A mural however is a constant reminder of an offensive view and by not removing it there is an implicit sanctioning of that view. Whilst I agree the two are similar it is the longevity of art vs the spoken word. The spoken word is of the moment and can be countered of the moment there won't be someone stood next to an offensive mural everyday to counter the lie.

Personally I didn't see what the fuss was about with the mural until I zoomed in a saw the faces of men at the monopoly table. Sure they're not wearing skull caps or plainly Hassidic Jews but they are a nice range of old Jewish men stereotypes, I find that coincidence hard to take a face value.

Soldato
Personally I didn't see what the fuss was about with the mural until I zoomed in a saw the faces of men at the monopoly table. Sure they're not wearing skull caps or plainly Hassidic Jews but they are a nice range of old Jewish men stereotypes, I find that coincidence hard to take a face value.
Pretty sure some of them are non-Jew white guys, though.

Soldato
Pretty sure some of them are non-Jew white guys, though.

Well given that in the case of another mural which was deemed by some 'racist' (against afro Americans) despite only depicting two 'white' people.....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/us/hanging-confederate-mural/index.html

(note I don't think that a mural of a lynching is an appropriate addition to a school regardless of the ethnicity of those depicted! )

Reminds me of the south park episode where they have to change the towns flag of a lynching where all the witness were white and the person hangibg was black to one the same but with an apparently multi ethnic crowd holding hands!

Associate
Why is it OK to hate Muslims but not Jews?

Every race is fair game, except jews.....even a silly picture that actually has a degree of truth to it....Rich jews do run a lot of the major corporations and banks in the world and as such have a lot of power and influence, but if you dare say anything you are considered Anti semitic.....yet critisim of whites and white Supremicy is perfectly fine...critisism of Muslims and terrorism is perfectly fine.

Funny old world.

Caporegime
Corbyn was just being thick tbh... he didn't spot the antisemetic angle. He's a bit stupid but I doubt he'd deliberately approve of such a mural if he'd realised.

Labour on the other hand do have an antisemetism problem, mostly due to Muslim members/candidates and/or candidates wanting Muslim votes.

Soldato
Of course all the best stereotypes have an element of truth to them.

Jews and Banking do go together for very practical historic reasons.

They have always been hated for it too, again for very practical historic reasons...

Back
Top Bottom