Any issues with using 10W40 instead of 5W30?

Caporegime
its what kwik fit have been using all its life so it cant be that bad i guess. Probably buy some more of that then as there doesnt seem to be a right answer to the question of what other oil you can use, given that 0W30 Castrol Edge A5/B5 doesnt seem to be on sale here.

Either that or Castrol Edge 0W30 A3/B4.

Caporegime
Volvo state a 0W-30 A5/B5 so that or an A3/B4 product which has the same testing just no fuel economy requirement.

There is no need to drop to Low SAPS oils like the 504 507 products though as these are primarly developed for VW Diesels with DPFs

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17476399 said:
Why do Kwik Fit service your car?

they serviced it when it was a fleet car. They serviced it every time it needed one.Got a big print out of all the service history with them including about 4 or 5 sets of contintenal sportcontact 3!

I've had the car 9 months and not serviced it under my ownership yet as it was done shortly before sale.

There is no need to drop to Low SAPS oils like the 504 507 products though as these are primarly developed for VW Diesels with DPFs

thanks for your help so far, Which oil is it i dont need ? :)

Caporegime
Aye

First kwik fit i rang to ask what oil they usually fill it with said "fully synthetic"

"Fully synthetic what" i asked

"i dont know mate, we just fill it with the oil for that brand of car"

"ok bye"

Had to ring another one to actually get a proper answer - that they use Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 fully synthetic.

Caporegime
nope. still the none wiser

I'm working nights at the minute so i'm going to ring round on my days off and possibly just get the volvo dealer to service it. They have "value servicing for vehicles 4 years or older" so i'm hoping its possibly going to be reasonably priced.

Save faffing trying to find the right oil and just let volvo do it.

If it isnt reasonable, and they want £200 + to do the service, then i'm going to have to find some sort of compromise. Not sure what yet.

Caporegime
well volvo are having a laugh.

For the 2nd year service which is kind of like an inspection II i guess because plugs get changed, brake fluid gets changed, oil + air filter gets changed. Volvo want £390

I've just checked over the car's service history properly to check what service its due, and the print out i have with all the servicing on is actually from the companys fleet software. I've got a bucketload of kwik fit receipts which is for the tyres, and assumed that as the service history printout was blue the servicing was done at kwik fit.

However ive just read through my service book and its first 5 services including the big cambelt service at 90,000 miles were all done at the volvo dealer which was nice. Last service was done by nationwide which was obviously what the seller did prior to sale.

Nationwide will do the big service sevice for £279 and use Castrol Edge 0W30 which seems a reasonable saving to me.

Equally i can get the backstreet garage across the road to do it who i used before i had the vectra.

Caporegime
"plugs get changed, brake fluid gets changed, oil + air filter gets changed"

Not too bad really, expecially if they use OEM parts?

Caporegime
to be fair the price / work ratio isnt that bad. What was shocking was the the "interim" service which basically changs oil, oil filter and pollen filter and checks some stuff (basically a BMW oil service type of affair) costs £290 !!

£300 for what is effectively an oil service. The kicker is that they want the "main" service with plugs, coolant, air filter, brake fluid, oil, oil filter etc.. every 2ND service.

At least with BMW Its oil, inspection I, oil, inspection II so its only every 4th service.

Who changes spark plugs and brake fluid every 2 years ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom