1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Nissan Or Mitsubishi Pickup Owners On Here?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Terminal_Boy, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Hope that’s easily fixed.

I really like the Renault badged version of the Navara (Alaskan), but even the oldest used ones go for over €30K which is way more than I’d foolishly hoped to spend.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

Yeah me to - I got a good price on this and really like the vehicle overall to be fair but it has already been a bit of hassle. If I decide to keep a pickup long term I think I will go for the Amarok.

3. Rroff

Man of Honour

"Exhaust Gas Recirculation Throttle Control Circuit "A" Range/Performance" - dunno much about that part of the system dunno if it was due to the extreme cold though a vehicle like this should handle it really hah. Gonna hit up the dealer Monday.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

More time I spend with this vehicle the more obvious it is Nissan have cheaped out, often for seemingly no real good reason, wherever they thought they could get away with it - not my first experience of this with Nissan - which is kind of sad as otherwise this would be a decent vehicle. Puts me right off ideas of a GT-R down the road. Glad I didn't pay that much for this one.

If I decide to keep a pickup long term will be going straight back to VW with the Amarok.

5. Rroff

Man of Honour

At the expense of posting several times in a row - they are going to replace the whole EGR valve they tried refurbishing it but after a few miles of testing it would throw up the same error again so looks like the sensor is faulty (second faulty sensor we've found so far :( ). From a look at the computer - 22,000 miles at an average 15mph and a bit of interpreting the previous trip history data it looks like it has spent most of its life in start-stop traffic meaning the engine (diesel) has never really got to run properly - it has not been used off-road or as a workhorse, etc.

6. Rroff

Man of Honour

Surprisingly managing 30mpg on my commute:

[​IMG]

Was expecting it to be worse as 2/3rds of the journey is twisty country lanes/A road that barely qualifies for the classification with lots of steep hills.

(This is the last version of the D40 Outlaw w/ 3L V6 not the new Navara).

7. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

That’s not bad for 3L V6! Weird that the previous owner used it to commute...

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

Yeah its definitely not a good choice if you are going to be regularly stuck in stop/start traffic - the engine doesn't seem to like it (gets gunked up) and it tanks any chance of a reasonable MPG. But I seem to be seeing more and more of them used for commuting. I'm currently using mine for commuting as before moving I had to make the choice of keeping one vehicle due to lack of drive space - still haven't made a long term decision - as I'm commuting at all hours and now living in a reasonably remote rural location having the 4 wheel drive option, etc. is handy.

Currently costing me slightly over £300 a year to insure which is another surprise - down from slightly under £400 at my old address - was expecting it to be a lot more than that.

I am still of very mixed opinion - the ride is generally pretty decent (probably helped by having a hefty metal tonneau cover on the back) but once I get down to around 1/4 of a tank of fuel I start to notice the steering becoming twitchier and body roll creeping in. While something specific to this model the steering is a bit frustrating in a way as well - mostly it is very good for a pickup but sometimes you get an annoying vagueness - annoying because the rest of the time its fine - it feels like they stopped refining it once they got it "good enough" - which is also the story throughout this pickup a lot of stuff is good but just short of excellent or let down because they seem to have moved onto other areas once it was "good enough" or to save a few pennies when a little extra work or just a little extra money would have made a huge difference in the quality of the final product.

I still think my money would be on the Amarok but it is hard to justify the money (I'd definitely want the highline/4motion) versus my level of usage.

EDIT: The tonneau cover seems to make a fair difference to MPG as well - I was struggling to get over 25-26 without it - though you'd have to be doing a lot of miles or get one very cheap for it to be worth it for that reason alone as it would take awhile to cover the cost of one with the fuel savings.

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

Not that I drive recklessly hah especially not in a pickup but I'd forgotten how much fun rear-wheel drive is just something satisfying about the cornering I'd forgotten I was missing in front-wheel drive vehicles.

10. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Rolling into corners and then powering out is far more fun in RWD vehicle. FWD is easy mode until you do something stupid.

Like I did yesterday while towing my 500kg unbraked trailer up to the local recycling depot. Winding uphill rural road with high crown and either dead-flat or slightly adverse cambers in the turns. Because I was only doing 50-60KPH, I ignored the “fresh gravel” caution signs and took the worst tightening turn at usual speed. Big mistake as the road is basically several centimetres of loose gravel on top of that which actually bonded to the fresh tar. Should have known better as a thin layer of new tar and at least twice as much gravel as needed is the standard road repair technique out here in the sticks.

So, both Duster and trailer are riding on a wave of loose gravel towards the ditch on the other side of the road. Being FWD, lifting off doesn’t help at all and I have to drop to second and floor it to straighten up and make the turn. Got a wave and a “I know you almost ****** that up” grin from the farmer stood in his field at the top of the road.

I think that it’s probably a good thing that I didn’t get a proper pickup truck..

11. Rroff

Man of Honour

Probably would have approached it a bit more careful in one though hah.

There is a corner on my way back from work - early apex into an uphill left, crest, gentle right that is so satisfying in RWD to roll in then get on the power - kind of amusing as well as inevitably I get some little hot hatch or whatever clamped on my tail for the last few miles if they haven't managed to overtake but they ain't so clamped on behind going around that corner.