any nutrition experts?

Underboss
Is there a dedicated nutrition thread anywhere ? (couldn't find one)

anyway, i would like some advice from the fitness experts

even thought i do some fitness, i'll add that bit at the end of this post as i want to get the "base" done first so to speak

anyway, i now strongly believe I don't eat enough calories / best food for my daily work and im looking for some advice and what i can possibly change/add to my daily food intake

Currently I work in a labor intensive environment in warehouse doing lots of manual work in a 7.5 hour day (9 hours total at work) (i feel like im a builder!)

so a work day looks like this :

5am - Eat a Large bowl of Alpen NAS Muesli with probably about 1/2 pint of semi skimmed milk and a cup of Tea (white, 2 sugars please)

6am - start work

8:30am - 9am - Large bowl of Kellogs Fruit N Fibre with a 1/2 pint of Semi Skimmed milk and a cup of Tea (white, 2 sugars please) and a banana

13:00 - Cooked meal (home made from the staff canteen) and a cup of Tea (white, 2 sugars please)

5pm - 4 slices of white bread toasted with Red Leicester cheese and a Cup of Tea (white, 2 sugars please)

Evening - Banana (sometimes with snacks if im hungry)

Days off I swap Muesli for Porridge and add a banana and i dont eat another bowl of cereal

Not to mention i go swimming every Tuesday evening and try and do running 2-3 times a week !

I was thinking of swapping out the Kellogg's cereal for something else

Underboss
OP
When i was googling for advice/ideas, i came across an article about the Pyramid way
anybody heard of this ?

I think it good because, in the morning you want to fuel for the day, and the last thing at night, you want to be eating "less"

Underboss
OP
Pyramid thing basically just looks like, "eat more fruit and veg" with low calories system?

Let's start with the basics, what are your goals, lose/gain weight or just want to maintain it but eat "better"? There's plenty of calorie calculators online so you can work out your maintenance/loss/gain calories and go building a plan from there.

Also I've noticed everything is vegetarian apart from the cooked meal which could be anything? Once I'm done with the gym tonight, I'll throw a few recipes out of my book to replace some of your meals so you can see if you like them.

thanks mate, appreciate that :)

i can't cook, but at 5am i have to "be quite" so I don't use the microwave (otherwise id have my porridge instead)

Underboss
OP
thanks for all the comments everyone, really appreciate it :)

Quick update, using myfitness pal to eat at least 3000 calories a day now
im doing rough measurements

work can be difficult as they are not always there (or just 1 person that can only cook basic things like Fish and chips)

but, ive now added on the odd occasion the following :

Chicken
Salad
Chicken pie with Broccoli and carrots (had this tonight)
Greek Style yogurt with bananas
switched white bread to Wholemeal (but i might switch back to white, not liking the taste tbh)

myfitness pal was telling me i was getting no Vitamin A or C and practically zero protein before i added the above

Underboss
OP
Well I'm getting enough protein, been hitting over 100 grams a day (too much) so I'm eating normally now, hitting about right each day

At the moment, large bowl of porridge with 1 banana and milk, snack time I buy a sandwich which I varey each day, normally fish or chicken, sometimes a banana too or an almond croissant or 2
Lunch is either cooked meal at work if they are in (until 29 April) otherwise sandwich again.
Evening usually toast with cheese, but looks like illI be doing vegetables with chicken or fish soon

Underboss
OP
Want to bring this back up and ask about counting calories..

my Step Dad has a fitbit, and tells me hes using up around 3500 calories a day
I wear a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and my Garmin is saying a lot less, but i am MORE active and he tells me i should be consuming around 4000 calories

although he goes to the Gym every day for 45 mins to an hour, his work involves a lot of traveling (driving) and tries to hit 10K steps a day
My job is very active ( i feel like a builder) and im doing heavy work a lot of the time, always on my feet, doing like 12K steps a day, also doing swimming AND running, hitting 22K steps in a day is possible/

I do not know if hes right (although hes a sports coach and RAF trained, he knows his stuff !!)
i just think is his fitbit inaccurate ? or do i really need to aim for 4000 calories ?

i do feel pretty tired every day

Underboss
OP
Activity trackers are useful for seeing how consistent you're being, but not very accurate for gauging energy expenditure (they have been studied and there's lots of articles about said studies showing how off they can be). If you track your weight and it's currently stable, then your caloric intake is sufficient and eating more is just going to lead to weight gain, although maintenance calories exist within and range and it can be useful to see what the upper end of this range is. 4000 calories is way higher than most people would need to weight-stable; just off the top of my head, you'd have to be an extremely active 100kg male to warrant that level of intake.

If you're tired all the time, my first port of call would be to look at if you're meeting your caloric needs but food choices overall could be more healthful nutritionally in terms of macro and micro nutrition and if you're getting enough sleep. Doing heavy work all the time without giving your body much time to recover is inevitability going to lead to some form of fatigue as well - more food can't make up for a lack of rest.

Thanks, read your post last night and had a good look at myself. I'm now quite certain it's lack of sleep

I changed departments 3 years ago and it's been happening since then. I now get up just before 5am for work, so I'm only getting around 6 hours sleep sometimes less.
I eat quite healthy so I don't feel that is the problem.

Time to start going to bed earlier

Back
Top Bottom