Any one here use Nespresso machines?

Soldato
OP
Still can't buy any pods on their site as my account creation is in limbo tied up with the validation of my purchase for the promo voucher. As it's been 7 days they have looked into it and said my purchase has been validated but they are having issues assigning the voucher to my account as there's an issue with the creation so I have to wait on while they sort it.

Should I try and claim some free goodwill pods off of them? :D

Don't think the Vertuo pods are sold in supermarkets and Amazon don't seem great on price compared with their own site

Caporegime
Why, done me no harm so far.

That doesn't mean jack.

Your cortisol levels will be through the roof.

Your blood pressure will likely be high too.

As well as a host of other effects.

The human body can take a lot and I mean a lot of punishment. So just because you feel fine doesn't mean you are fine.

How regularly do you do cardio? Could you run 10k in under 50 minutes if pushed to?

Because cortisol increases pressure on the heart. You will need a healthy cardio system to deal with the abuse you are putting it under with little ill effects.

Soldato
That doesn't mean jack.

Your cortisol levels will be through the roof.

Your blood pressure will likely be high too.

As well as a host of other effects.

The human body can take a lot and I mean a lot of punishment. So just because you feel fine doesn't mean you are fine.

How regularly do you do cardio? Could you run 10k in under 50 minutes if pushed to?

Because cortisol increases pressure on the heart. You will need a healthy cardio system to deal with the abuse you are putting it under with little ill effects.

Is the increase still the same if you have a regular caffeine intake?

Caporegime
Is the increase still the same if you have a regular caffeine intake?

No the more caffeine the bigger the increase in cortisol.

It will also be exponentially bad if you are; overweight, have small kidneys, don't to much cardio, easily crack under pressure, high blood pressure, etc, etc.

Everyone is different that is why jack down the road can smoke 20 fags a day and drink 10 cups of coffee and live to 100 but if john did that he would be dead within 15 years. However that amount of caffeine in 1 go will be doing all sorts. Including dehydration, etc. So many different effects on the system. He will also be building up a tolerance. Also the morning is the worst time you could possibly drink coffee it has the least amount of effect. Your body already has a natural system to make you wake up in the morning, boosting it with caffeine is likely to have long term ill effects if you do it in large amounts for long periods of time.

It's why you see a lot of people with insomnia, usually drinking loads of energy drinks to stay awake. Not realising the cause of their insomnia is likely the energy drinks in the first place and has built up over time as they got more tolerant and it has messed up their internal systems which tell them to stay awake or go to sleep. I used to work with a guy who drank the most powerful energy drinks he could get on the market and this guy didn't sleep for like weeks on end and he said he needed them to stay awake. Little did he realise these were likely the cause of all his problems. He was absolutely mental though. He threatened a few women at work and pulled a knife out on one and was sacked. He also drank cups of coffee in between the energy drinks. Hopefully the time he serves inside will help his system get back to normal.

Caffeine is a drug. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe to abuse it. It's okay in moderation. 6 shots in 1 go is no where near moderation.

It's why I have shot whenever i feel tired during the day. Like at between 3-5 pm to get me through til night time

Soldato
You can hardly call 6 nespresso pods the same as 6 espressos. I only take so many to fill my cup with a coffee the strength I like it. With my bean to cup it takes 1 dopio plus some hot water to get the same strength as 3 pods.

Soldato
I usually have double shot Nespresso, I can literally fall straight asleep after so I don't think they have that much caffeine, although I do have a tolerance due to years of pre workout drinks as well!

Soldato
OP
Nespresso finally sorted the issue with creating my account their end and have applied the promo. So I ordered a 120 pod introduction bundle that comes with a gift of 2 snazzy glass mugs and spoons

Soldato
6 shots in 1 go is no where near moderation.
read the posts - sanity check

1 nespresso is 5.6g of coffee so 3 is only 16.8, slighly more than 14g you would use for a double espresso. (earlier coffee thread posts)
they say
Each standard arabica capsule contains 5 grams of coffee which delivers 60mg of caffeine per pour and each Nespresso Lungo Capsule contains 6 grams of coffee for a caffeine content of around 83mg. Default pour size is: Espresso - 40mls, and Lungo (long) - 110mls
so 180mg from 3 => so 360mg from 6

you can consume same at starbucks
2 x dopios 300mg
or grande brewed 308mg

So I ordered a 120 pod introduction
do you get a mix of big and small capsules ? are the big ones much more expensive ?

Soldato
OP
do you get a mix of big and small capsules ? are the big ones much more expensive ?

Hey! Yea the selection includes a mixture of the 4 different sizes, majority of them are Mug size but do have a selection of the Alto coming too (biggest one, about 450ml I think)

You can also set the amount past the default. I read in the instructions if you hold the button down and let go when it has filled up enough for you, it then saves that to the inserted pods barcode so it will automatically fill to that level each time if that makes any sense. You can reset to default too. I've not messed with that yet

Associate
I have a Nespresso Machine bought from John Lewis a few years back - the one with the built in milk frother.

Recently been using L'or pods - 2 quid for a pack of 10. Quality on par with the Nespresso pods. Not sure if they do them in the new shape though?

Soldato
OP
I have a Nespresso Machine bought from John Lewis a few years back - the one with the built in milk frother.

Recently been using L'or pods - 2 quid for a pack of 10. Quality on par with the Nespresso pods. Not sure if they do them in the new shape though?
Unfortunately not at the moment, maybe 3rd parties will produce pods eventually. I guess the barcode tech gets in their way!

Soldato
Where is everyone getting these "much cheaper" pods that are mentioned? I tried some Lidl pods at about 17p each and they were awful. Are there any easy to find Nespresso pods at 20p that don't taste like they've come from a cafetiere? The "20p" l'or pods spoken of above seem to be a mythical beast.

I love my Nespresso machine and bought a bean to cup because I was looking to look at long term costs. Unfortunately the bean to cup is harder to get right than a simple double pod latte

Soldato
Where is everyone getting these "much cheaper" pods that are mentioned? I tried some Lidl pods at about 17p each and they were awful. Are there any easy to find Nespresso pods at 20p that don't taste like they've come from a cafetiere? The "20p" l'or pods spoken of above seem to be a mythical beast.

I love my Nespresso machine and bought a bean to cup because I was looking to look at long term costs. Unfortunately the bean to cup is harder to get right than a simple double pod latte
The best solution I found.
Buy these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caspules-C...329&sr=8-9&keywords=refillable+nespresso+pods

Fill with coffee of your choice. (I use www.ravecoffee.co.uk)

Associate

Sorry........just checked at Morrison’s, seems they are £3 a pack now so not quite the value they were.......should have stocked up!

Soldato
The l'or ones are £2 at Tesco now but the shelves were almost clear. I got the last pack of strength 8 and found them a bit meh. To be fair I wasn't in the mood for a coffee when I tried them, but was excited to see what they'd taste like.

Either way, it's not a sustainable source.

Soldato
No the more caffeine the bigger the increase in cortisol.

It will also be exponentially bad if you are; overweight, have small kidneys, don't to much cardio, easily crack under pressure, high blood pressure, etc, etc.

Everyone is different that is why jack down the road can smoke 20 fags a day and drink 10 cups of coffee and live to 100 but if john did that he would be dead within 15 years. However that amount of caffeine in 1 go will be doing all sorts. Including dehydration, etc. So many different effects on the system. He will also be building up a tolerance. Also the morning is the worst time you could possibly drink coffee it has the least amount of effect. Your body already has a natural system to make you wake up in the morning, boosting it with caffeine is likely to have long term ill effects if you do it in large amounts for long periods of time.

It's why you see a lot of people with insomnia, usually drinking loads of energy drinks to stay awake. Not realising the cause of their insomnia is likely the energy drinks in the first place and has built up over time as they got more tolerant and it has messed up their internal systems which tell them to stay awake or go to sleep. I used to work with a guy who drank the most powerful energy drinks he could get on the market and this guy didn't sleep for like weeks on end and he said he needed them to stay awake. Little did he realise these were likely the cause of all his problems. He was absolutely mental though. He threatened a few women at work and pulled a knife out on one and was sacked. He also drank cups of coffee in between the energy drinks. Hopefully the time he serves inside will help his system get back to normal.

Caffeine is a drug. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe to abuse it. It's okay in moderation. 6 shots in 1 go is no where near moderation.

It's why I have shot whenever i feel tired during the day. Like at between 3-5 pm to get me through til night time

Oh - care to point to any science backing that all up?

Back
Top Bottom