• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Reason to buy intel?

Soldato
Sadly enough, availability is turning into a real reason. We're 5 weeks in and its still basically impossible to buy a 5x00 chip in North America, particularly the 5600 and 59x0 SKU's (the 5800X will on very occassions make a brief, limited appearance...).

Meanwhile intel 10x000 chips are readily available at both the high and low ends. I've been really jonesing for a 5900X but the longer this goes, the more tempting those 10900K's are looking...
As I said easier to overclock

Soldato
IMO still a few reason why intel should be considered.
IF you are looking purely for productivity, then AMD, even last gen, are better bets.
But for gaming/general use no reason not to.
Given my experience going from a 5800x to a 10700k:

At 1440p and above no difference in gaming framerate both stock.
the Intel runs anything from 10-20 degrees cooler with the exact same cooling and case configuration.
The Intel 8 core mobo/cpu setup comes in at around £110 under the AMD setup, and that's without the current price hikes on AMD due to shortages.
Intel have more overclocking headroom, not least because AMD are more thermally challenged (at least from my personal experience).

I think both AM4 and LGA1200 have one cpu update in them, so similar in terms of longevity.
I am not knocking AMD, they have done a great job in the performance uplifts for Zen 3.
But I was disappointed with the thermals, they might be within design constraints but I just didn't like seeing it !
Horses for courses, you now have a choice at least ;)

Finding this now. After running a 4790k for a good few years. Near the end it was paired with a 360 AIO and it never touched 60 deg. I got caught up in all the hype and have changed to a 5600X.

The only game I really play a lot is MW. The 4790k would be around 90% utilised, sometimes spike to 100%. But it still wouldn’t go above 60deg. This bloody 5600X on the same cooling setup only shows 20% utilisation. But temps will go to 80-85deg using the same fan curve as the intel.

Guess it pays to do your research first and not get caught up in the hype. I think if I had the choice again. I would have stuck with intel. I know I’ll prob get flamed for saying that, but it’s just my 2 cents.

Associate
I can give you one more reason :)
google
Ryzen 5900x random reboots ;)
I was able to get my copy of about 2 weeks ago. Since then PC is unstable. No OC. Every part checked. It could be a bios problem but nobody can confirm that.
The Only way to get a stable system is to disable clocks boost and have CPU with performance lower than 10900k :D

I'm still waiting for a bios from MSI that could help. Last one relased over month ago and its still in beta.
Problem is not only connected with MSI. Have seen posts from people with asus and gigabyte

Last edited:
Associate
I have zero problems with 5950X on Asrock Taichi.
No stability issues or crashes at all so I believe it will be Bios issues for those of you suffering.

And to correct your statement above
Problem is not ONLY connected with MSI

Associate
I have zero problems with 5950X on Asrock Taichi.
No stability issues or crashes at all so I believe it will be Bios issues for those of you suffering.

And to correct your statement above

I'm praying for bios update that could help with this problem. Without new bios it is a guess. Faulty CPU or bios.

Done.

Currently, I' thinking of intel 10900k or 10850k. Sadly 900k is about 120 USD pricier.

Another thing.
I'm a Linux user, but sometimes I need to run a virtual machine with Windows. With intel integrated GPU I could pass trough my normal GPU to Windows and have virtual machine with high graphic performance :)

Back
Top Bottom