Anybody else who uses ALDI Ferrex tools?

Soldato
However the company that make Ferrex are way dearer with their own name on - https://www.walteronline.com/en/too...w-drivers/20-v-cordless-impact-drill-p7150134

Except they aren't. €99 for a drill, two batteries and a charger. Aldis are £20 for the drill, £15 a Battery and £15 a charger. It's not that big a difference when bulk orders come in to play. All they will do is buy whatever manufacturer will give them the best deal. The tools have their place, but they have their drawbacks. If one breaks within the warranty period you're pretty much guaranteed to just be getting a refund if you've even registered the warranty. Then you'll be down a tool that you probably can't buy again. These aren't made in Austria tools or anything, They are probably packaged in Austria. The fact that there isn't a parent company attached to them like TTI or Stanley leads me to believe they are themselves resellers. There were rumours that some Ferrex tools were being supplied by Positec (Worx parent company)

Whereas Dewalt came out with their lion tech in 2011, that's ten years of support. You also get a Nicad to Lion adapter if you have some of their older tools. I've used Dewalt all my working life, but if you went to Makita or Milwaukee you'd still be better off buying their DIY versions because you're guaranteed some level of after service.

At the end of the day, a hole in the wall will take a fixing no matter what drill made it. I'm just trying to offer some perspective because people get bowled over by the cheapness of the tool. Whereas if you spend just a bit more money you'll get a longer life out of the tool and thus more value for money and a more enjoyable experience.

Soldato
yeah i need to head into the local aldi to pick one of those up, great for the £

If you're after a cheap router your money is better spent of the Katsu palm router available from various sellers. It's a carbon copy of the Makita and for the money you usually get the accessories to make it a trim/plunge router as well. It'll also take any collet you throw at it and thus any router bit, whereas the Aldi one only takes 1/4 inch.

Man of Honour
OP
At the end of the day, a hole in the wall will take a fixing no matter what drill made it. I'm just trying to offer some perspective because people get bowled over by the cheapness of the tool. Whereas if you spend just a bit more money you'll get a longer life out of the tool and thus more value for money and a more enjoyable experience.

I think I said in my post I already have named tools that I have now stored in the attic to bring down if these Ferrex fall apart and so far so good.
The only one I have kept downstairs is my proper Kress electric hammer drill that cost nearly £300 in the late 80s.

Back
Top Bottom