Anybody else who uses ALDI Ferrex tools?

Man of Honour
OP
Soldato
How awful, i've had a few 'close calls' with tools over the years, after reading that sounds like I should invest in some proper PPE
These types of large grinders (9 inch grinders) are now banned on site and have been for a while now. It's just a dangerous tool even with the right blade in it.

I'm a carpenter and I am constantly having to pull up the less experienced lads on how they use tools. Power tools are dangerous in general and a lot of people just don't treat them with the caution they need.

Soldato
I have a saw blade for my grinder but it is only a small one that fits inside the guard - Did I read it right the guy who died had a big open blade.?

Don
Man of Honour
Not Aldi but in Lidl yesterday they had the small Parkside 12v battery packs at half price £7.50 for a single 4Ah battery which is a pretty good deal so worth checking your own Lidl if you have these tools. They also had the chargers for them but I didn't see the price on those as the wife was giving me "the look" for spending too long looking at the tools. Spare batteries are so handy and I would never go back to a single battery again.

Soldato
I once had a look at Lidl 90 degree drill -was only about £13 and was just right size but they didn't have any batteries and chargers. Probably ok really as I haven't needed one yet.

I am also tied into Stanley fatmax 18v -

Associate
So my impact driver has a tough time driving screws into wood. Will go so far in and then just stops. Have to use a socket set for getting bolts the rest of the way in. Is it faulty or are they just not that strong at driving? Cheers

Soldato
So my impact driver has a tough time driving screws into wood. Will go so far in and then just stops. Have to use a socket set for getting bolts the rest of the way in. Is it faulty or are they just not that strong at driving? Cheers
Totally depends on the wood, the screws/bolts and the torque rating of the tool. The cheaper lower torque drivers will struggle putting in anchor bolts into oak for instance.

Man of Honour
Not Aldi but if you have Lidl Plus on your phone they have 20% off all Parkside DIY and Garden for the next 7 days. They had a lot of Cordless stuff last week including a cordless lawnmower and strimmer so now is a good time to buy. If you are going to get some cordless tools, batteries and chargers make sure you get the twin battery charger as that's the only one with quickcharge plus for things like mowers you should be looking at the 4Ah batteries.

Associate
I've bought a load of the cordless Parkside tools recently from Lidl and I think they're really good.

I have a set of the Bosch professional (blue) 18v tools that I got into a few years ago, mainly because I was wanting some tools that would actually last me a long time & at the time Bosch ran some good offers, had some tools that were not made in China, & were obviously decent quality.

Anyway I saw in Lidl they had the smaller 12v tool range on offer recently so thought i'd try out the powered ratchet for £25. It's obviously all built to a price but for the price it's great!
So I went a bit mental & bought loads of the 12v & 20v tools the past few weeks.
They are far better than all the generic cheap off-brand tools you get from Argos/B&Q/Amazon etc. I'd say the quality is far closer to the big brands than it is the cheap stuff. It looks to me like they basically copy the Bosch product range.

Some standouts - 20v sheet metal nibbler for £40! the equivalent Bosch is £300+
The 2 pack 20v 50mm cut off grinder & Dremel tool PMBSA 20-Li is really good - I've not even seen this design before with the battery pack separate on a belt clip, but I like it; 20v cordless power with lightweight tools.
The 12v drill is great and a really nice compact size with the 2AH battery.

There's some weird stuff- the Dremel style cordless tool with the built in battery for example had some strange vibrations - turns out Parkside left off a bearing on the end of the shaft to save 2pence of manufacturing costs, easy to sort though.

It's fairly obvious they are made by different Chinese factories for Parkside; slightly different shadings of Green plastic, different plastic makeups etc, and the fit/finish on some of them is better than others, but all are generally good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom