Anyone else been scammed by www.shopperdiscountsandrewards.co.uk?

Soldato
These sneaky little turds have been debiting me £8 a month since 03/10/2008. Even from a stolen debit card!

Now I order a fair amount of stuff online and I do rconcile my accounts every now and then but I have somehow missed this payment.

Seems that the budget airlines and InterFlora, amongst others, have a tick box on their website and unknowingly, this has signed me up to a £8 a month reward scheme, of which I have no idea.

35 payments = £280!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Going to call these scam artists tomorrow as my bank cannot stop the payment apparently.

Small Claims Court if I get no joy?

Check your bank statements and look for a card ebit each month for SHOPPERDISCOUNT.

Fuming.

How's it a scam if you agreed to it on 3rd party websites. Surely you should be fuming at the 3rd parties who didn't make it clear?

2008?!

Christ. Good luck with that. They'll just laugh at you for not spotting it sooner.

You may get lucky and get some back, but you've essentially agreed to it.

Should have read what you were signing/purchasing 3 years ago.

Assuming this monthly payment condition was hidden within a lengthy and unreadable T&C (which you nor I ever read, let's be honest) or just generally deceiving then you can't deny something like this is wrong.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Well it has happened. But that point is irrelevant.

No it isn't :confused: Had you noticed it earlier you would have put a stop to it earlier.

I have never agreed to be signed up to a rolling contract with these people. No mail no email no nothing.

Yes you did agree...

PapaLazaru said:
Seems that the budget airlines and InterFlora, amongst others, have a tick box on their website and unknowingly, this has signed me up to a £8 a month reward scheme, of which I have no idea.

Read the T&Cs before signing up.

Edit: Call the people and ask them to stop all the payments. Then write a letter to your bank asking to close the direct debit. Then speak to CAB about recovering unknowingly lost money.

Last edited:
Assuming this monthly payment condition was hidden within a lengthy and unreadable T&C (which you nor I ever read, let's be honest) or just generally deceiving then you can't deny something like this is wrong.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

He said there was a tick box.

If it was hidden somewhere, or not mentioned at all, then fair enough, go after the cheeky barstewards, otherwise you can't really complain. It's not their fault he wasn't paying attention, unfortunately.

I thought there was legislation these days whereby (tho I still see it on a lot of websites) a tick box thats already ticked on a form by default isn't legally binding? - it has to be of the order of "opt-in" not "opt-out".

Last edited:
The fact that you actually have physically signed up for it won't mean a thing in court. If a judge deems the website to have coerced you into it in a sneaky fashion and without your concious agreement, he'll possibly order the money returned to you. That's the great thing about small claims court; the law isn't as black and white as in a criminal matter. You probably will have a hard time explaining the length of time it has taken you to notice though!

Last edited:
Then write a letter to your bank asking to close the direct debit.

It is not a direct debit payment. It is a card debit.

Fair enough, I feel stupid for not noticing earlier but it must have been hidden behind another website. All the reviews online say the same thing. One tick box on Easyjet or something for a discount.

I would hardly call ticking a tick box on a reputable companies website with no email to confirm anything afterwards entirely legal.

This payment is being taken even when cards have been reported stolen. They have just carried on taking the payment.

Will speak to the CAB tomorrow.

The fact that you actually have physically signed up for it won't mean a thing in court. If a judge deems the website to have coerced you into it in a sneaky fashion and without your concious agreement, he'll possibly order the money returned to you. That's the great thing about small claims court; the law isn't as black and white as in a criminal matter. You probably will have a hard time explaining the length of time it has taken you to notice though!

Exactly my point. They must have my email address and my address as they have taken my details from another companies website.

Like I said, no email no letters regarding this ever. I will also be able to prove I have never used their service as I never have. I don't even know what it is for.

From their website FAQ.

(q) How did I join Shopper Discounts & Rewards?

(a) You were offered the opportunity to join the Shopper Discounts & Rewards programme after making a purchase on the website of one of our retail or travel company clients. Following the purchase, a text banner would have appeared on the client’s confirmation page offering you the opportunity to claim £10 cash back on your next purchase at that client’s site if you joined the programme. After clicking on this, you were taken to the Shopper Discounts & Rewards offer page where you could sign up to the programme after entering your details, including name, postcode (then selecting the correct address from the drop down box), credit/debit card information, email and a personalised password. Once you join you are entitled to a 30 day free trial of the programme (it’s only £10 per month thereafter) and can start using and benefiting from the programme straight away, which includes discounts at over 800 online retailers.

I think you need to face up to the fact your to blame in this case. You signed yourself up and forgot all about it. Eat it and move on.

Back
Top Bottom