Anyone else just bimble along through life?

Soldato
I don't have a passport

giphy.gif

Soldato
I think a lot of 'coasters' also use their attitude as a defence mechanism - I certainly did, it gives me emotional impulse to do nothing, when deep down its just because I was nervous and didn't wish to risk my safety, and/or I found doing something a hassle, which really means = stressful.

It's taken several years and im still not totally there yet, but when I look back on things iv done in the past couple of years I look at them with a very fond and happy memory, although at the time, at the beginning of doing something (for me getting out the house was the hardest part), i was nervous and mildly stressed, but once I got going I got more out of it than I expected.

Soldato
As I type I am surrounded by people who feel this way, I'm on the camino, a 33 day minimum walk across the pyranees and northern Spain. A lot like me have either lost their jobs or given them up and are using the way to sort their heads out.
We are staying in mostly donation only alburges at attached to churches, or like today 5 euros for the night.
I've already upgraded my life to one full of surf and walking in Cornwall but this camino is an amazing experience for. Altering how you think

Soldato
thanks for that post it helps me try to reassess my situation

it certainly isnt just you, im sure most people will go through a period of this in their lifetimes, some for only a few months, some for years or decades. We just need to try something totally different.

for me im actually starting to think im just going to book tickets on a flight to NYC and just turn up with no plan and try to see as much as i can, then try somewhere else like the Philippines or something.. I also need to start talking to people, as i have the fewest amount of friends i ever have had in my life, basically ZERO friends i see in person now, since they've all got married, had kids and moved away. Thats another option, moving somewhere far far away since i have nothing left here.

Soldato
As I type I am surrounded by people who feel this way, I'm on the camino, a 33 day minimum walk across the pyranees and northern Spain. A lot like me have either lost their jobs or given them up and are using the way to sort their heads out.
We are staying in mostly donation only alburges at attached to churches, or like today 5 euros for the night.
I've already upgraded my life to one full of surf and walking in Cornwall but this camino is an amazing experience for. Altering how you think

I really enjoyed the film "The Way" with Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez, certainly made it look like an amazing experience.

Do you find any religious significance in it or just doing it for you?

Soldato
I really enjoyed the film "The Way" with Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez, certainly made it look like an amazing experience.

Do you find any religious significance in it or just doing it for you?
Not really relegious but staying at the donation only places I've been to a lot of masses just out of respect for the people who run the alburgies and toured a lot of amazing churches.
My ex talked me into coming but losing my dog and my job have been the 2 negatives that have put me at a crossroad The structure of 15 miles a day , everything in your rucksack then sharing space with many others in dormetrys, communal cooking meals ect really makes an impact.
Been sharing my space with so many people. 2 Korean girls we always seem to sleep next to aussies Americans, all with storys
It's also so very cheap, as I say it's pay what you want, and free evening meal and breakfast, you just have to help make the meal ie peal the odd onion, free wine als

Soldato
OP
You never said you are unhappy with your life at the moment, just that you seem to coast through life. Do you want to be doing more or just feel like you should be because it seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry are having great adventures, making money and living the high life.?

Some of this I think, everyone else seems to have plans, goals, interests and know what they want or what they're aiming for and I've never felt that way.

I love the peace and quiet that comes from being on my own and I don't feel lonely, it just seems massively at odds with how we're programmed/brainwashed to live from an early age and it can get quite tiring either explaining or telling people that you did nothing again at the weekend when they were off doing this that or the other.

Soldato
I love the peace and quiet that comes from being on my own and I don't feel lonely, it just seems massively at odds with how we're programmed/brainwashed to live from an early age and it can get quite tiring either explaining or telling people that you did nothing again at the weekend when they were off doing this that or the other.

You'd enjoy
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

The introvert/extrovert divide is the most fundamental dimension of personality. And at least a third of us are on the introverted side. Some of the world's most talented people are introverts. Without them we wouldn't have the Apple computer, the theory of relativity and Van Gogh's sunflowers.

Yet extroverts have taken over. Shyness, sensitivity and seriousness are often seen as being negative. Introverts feel reproached for being the way they are.

In Quiet, Susan Cain shows how the brain chemistry of introverts and extroverts differs, and how society misunderstands and undervalues introverts. She gives introverts the tools to better understand themselves and take full advantage of their strengths.

Passionately argued, superbly researched, and filled with real stories, Quiet will permanently change how we see introverts - and how you see yourself.

Soldato
Aren't we all (OP) ? The closest personal attribution I have is towards a philosophy of existential nihilism. Just enjoy life for what it is or isn't. Be honest with yourself and others and share that honesty whenever possible. Let others be and allow them to live the life they wish.

Associate
It's quite depressing listening to some of the stories on here. I enjoy my life every day, id feel like I was insulting my forefathers who worked themselves into early graves if I didn't.

Me and the wife travel as much as we can, go out to eat as much as possible, see family often and refuse to get stressed about things. I have my overall goal of retiring to a river cottage in North Norfolk. If my kids can keep away from drugs or avoid bringing home boyfriends that I need to draw a shotgun on then I'll be happy.

Soldato
OP
Aren't we all (OP) ? The closest personal attribution I have is towards a philosophy of existential nihilism. Just enjoy life for what it is or isn't. Be honest with yourself and others and share that honesty whenever possible. Let others be and allow them to live the life they wish.

I never ask anyone what they did either last night or at the weekend, I'm not really interested in what they did, yet a bloke I work with insists on telling me and asking what I did. I just tell him 'nothing' because I know it winds him up that other people don't have to be doing something with every second of their spare time like he does.

I never poke my nose into other people's business, maybe it's because I prize my own privacy so highly that I would find it offensive to be constantly asking people where they're going, who with and what they did.

I didn't post for sympathy or ideas, I genuinely wanted to know if there were others in similar situations or whether I'm just an outcast.

Caporegime
Sign yourself up to some college classes in the evening. Anything and everything. Car maintenance, pottery, painting, computing! Who cares. You’ll meet new people, learn some new skills maybe and you might even find a new hobby to immerse yourself in.

Soldato
Get a cheap flight and go visit a foreign country.You're wasting your life. I'm in my 50's now with health issues, so much closer to the end than the beginning, and certainly wished I had been a lot more adventurous when I was younger.

I have heard this on numerous occasions.

You really do need to just get out there and grab life by the proverbials.

Back
Top Bottom