Anyone else just bimble along through life?

Soldato
OP
I do remember however reading similar comments from the OP in the past, particularly about his job so perhaps really you do want change. Not for me to say though, its down to you.

Job's a job though, everyone has to do it, I'm no different to millions of other trudging through the daily grind.

I would like more time off though, even if it's just sat at home, as long as I'm not at work it doesn't matter what I do with them. Job is quite restrictive in that sense with the bare minimum 20 days and kind of restricted by other people being off. 2 weeks off in one chunk doesn't go down well so I'm surprised he let me have it, so far this year I've just used a day here or there like a Friday to make a long weekend, last time I was off more than that was Easter.

Caporegime
I would like more time off though, even if it's just sat at home, as long as I'm not at work it doesn't matter what I do with them. Job is quite restrictive in that sense with the bare minimum 20 days and kind of restricted by other people being off. 2 weeks off in one chunk doesn't go down well so I'm surprised he let me have it, so far this year I've just used a day here or there like a Friday to make a long weekend, last time I was off more than that was Easter.

From reading this and your other posts it really does sound like you’re simply scared of change and what other people think.

If you’re office based at the moment getting a WFH gig shouldn’t be too difficult somewhere else at least for a day or two a week. Feeling guilty about taking more than a week off is a massive red flag if your employer is making you feel that way, or is it just the pressure it puts on your workload when back?

Soldato
No one has a life like you see in the movies, not even the movie stars. I think all jobs get boring after a while.

Eventually you stop giving a **** about what bosses etc think. You do what you can get away with :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Your asking yourself the wrong question.

Are you happy ?

If yes then all good, if not then change something.

Man of Honour
Your asking yourself the wrong question.

Are you happy ?

If yes then all good, if not then change something.
I suggest that’s a terrible question and a woeful one to make life changes on.

Unless by change something you mean ‘duly reflect on why you may be feeling a certain way’. It may be that you don’t need to change any ongoing actions whatsoever - save for the way you think.

Edit - I should add... it’s a terrible question because it’s loaded. You are not always going to happy. Acknowledging that you are unhappy tends to makes you more unhappy. Chasing happiness is just dooming yourself to being unsatisfied. You need to make efforts enrich your life and move on emotionally. Then, happiness shall find you. From time to time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
From reading this and your other posts it really does sound like you’re simply scared of change and what other people think.

If you’re office based at the moment getting a WFH gig shouldn’t be too difficult somewhere else at least for a day or two a week. Feeling guilty about taking more than a week off is a massive red flag if your employer is making you feel that way, or is it just the pressure it puts on your workload when back?

Both, we could do with another man but he won't take one on because the work is so up and down that he doesn't want to pay someone when we're a bit less snowed under, but that means doing two roles the rest of the time.

when I've a bit more experience under my belt I will look at changing companies, he runs this one like it's still a one man band, winging it mostly and expecting people to go above and beyond like you would if the money were going straight into your pocket.

I don't expect to be magically happier though, I tend to hate all the jobs after a couple of years and I've had a fair few lol.

Soldato
Both, we could do with another man but he won't take one on because the work is so up and down that he doesn't want to pay someone when we're a bit less snowed under, but that means doing two roles the rest of the time.

when I've a bit more experience under my belt I will look at changing companies, he runs this one like it's still a one man band, winging it mostly and expecting people to go above and beyond like you would if the money were going straight into your pocket.

I don't expect to be magically happier though, I tend to hate all the jobs after a couple of years and I've had a fair few lol.

Had a boss like that once, he didn't seem to understand the difference in expectations between him building up his company and me working for a crappy wage. That and his little tantrums meant the job ended rather badly :p Still made me realise that I'd never ever want to work like him or for someone like him again, god he made people miserable.

Soldato
It's all pointless in the end, you have to make peace with that which I still struggle with.

Doing something creative (whatever that means to you) is what matters in my opinion. We are in a world of constant outside influence, everything is trying to get our attention and our time. You have to be careful that you are not just a consumer and that you are actually a creator of something.

Miss out on that one Netflix show or PC game and learn a musical instrument / draw / paint for those hours instead.
Spent time with family, friends, children and pass on any skills you have to them.
Get good a cooking and DIY!
Plan a trip somewhere and then go and do it

This sort of stuff is where you find life, get a rounded personality have a go at as many different things as you have time to try!

Soldato
So @Telecaster, what have you done to make some positive changes in the last few days?

I think it's important to look back, regularly, to see what you've changed and what you've put in place to live a better life. Even if it's something very small, it's progress.

Soldato
It's all pointless in the end, you have to make peace with that which I still struggle with.

Doing something creative (whatever that means to you) is what matters in my opinion. We are in a world of constant outside influence, everything is trying to get our attention and our time. You have to be careful that you are not just a consumer and that you are actually a creator of something.

Miss out on that one Netflix show or PC game and learn a musical instrument / draw / paint for those hours instead.
Spent time with family, friends, children and pass on any skills you have to them.
Get good a cooking and DIY!
Plan a trip somewhere and then go and do it

This sort of stuff is where you find life, get a rounded personality have a go at as many different things as you have time to try!

You said its all pointless in the end so why does it mater if you are a consumer or creator?

Soldato
OP
So @Telecaster, what have you done to make some positive changes in the last few days?

I think it's important to look back, regularly, to see what you've changed and what you've put in place to live a better life. Even if it's something very small, it's progress.

Nothing, but then I wasn't looking to change anything. I was asking if anyone was in a similar position.

Associate
I'm just a bit worried that when it comes to an end I'll look back and regret it.

Nothing, but then I wasn't looking to change anything. I was asking if anyone was in a similar position.

Are you sure?

I know where your coming from you sound very similair to me, but i am suffering depression on and off, i hope your happy on your path :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you sure?

I know where your coming from you sound very similair to me, but i am suffering depression on and off, i hope your happy on your path :)

Well it's an entirely theoretical question really as I won't know until I get there, it was more repeating what you hear old people say, along with "at the end, nobody ever wished they'd worked harder" etc.

I'm neither happy nor unhappy, just bimbling along!

Soldato
@Telecaster

Well you're considering potentially regretting your laid back lifestyle in later life, so..

Looking forward, you have the opportunity to do something about it, looking back, you don't.

Your choice, at least you have one at the moment.

Associate
If you don't own yet, buy a black car and get into detailing. Trying to keep it swirl and dust free will keep you busy and switch off of your routine. Possibly time to think about other things, or even join an owner club.
For me it's a therapy, as any house DIY. The only secret is doing when the missus isn't around. That would be the opposite effect.

Associate
I think the first sentence is more important than the second and is probably the one you should be focusing on.
Problem is now we have so many more things to keep us busy, compared to 20 or 30 years ago. On top of that, the extra time working required to pay for it. We end up living week after week in a vicious cycle. I can relate somehow. But as others mentioned, most of the advices are about people who are in position or certain stage in their lives to way: been there, done that. Don't follow as gospel, but don't waste it.

Soldato
(cut a lot of harsh comments out).

If everyone else seems like they are having fun and doing things, it is because you aren't bothering to better your circumstance.

Happiness takes work. Time to start working on your long term happiness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom