Anyone else unimpressed by monitor progress?

Associate
Yup I'm very much unimpressed. Nobody wants to take the risk of making a really ground-breaking, disruptive monitor. The manufacturers think if it's too expensive it won't sell and they will lose money, even if it is much better than everything else on the market. They think that because they are so used to crappy monitor sales figures, which are only crappy because their products are the same as everybody else's and only marginally better than the previous year's.

Seriously. I want my curved ultrawide 100hz+ 1440p+ Gsync/Freesync OLED monitor already. I wanted it years ago. I'm getting tired of waiting. This is beyond stupid. I'm half expecting the manufacturers to start pushing beige CRTs again.

Soldato
Monitor progress is absolutely appalling. I've had my BenQ XL2730Z for years, a 27" 1440P 144Hz Freesync monitor. Absolutely no monitor to upgrade to.

I'm waiting for a 4k, 32"-40" monitor with 100-144Hz refresh rate, HDR, preferably OLED.

I expect TV's will soon start increasing the refresh rate beyond 60Hz for the console crowd, perhaps that's the kick up the arse that monitor manufactures need to progress and sell gaming monitors at acceptable prices (more in line with TV's).

Associate
Monitor progress is absolutely appalling. I've had my BenQ XL2730Z for years, a 27" 1440P 144Hz Freesync monitor. Absolutely no monitor to upgrade to.

Out of interest - how do you rate your current monitor? Is BenQ a brand you'd buy again (assuming they get around to releasing something worthwhile)? I wonder if most brands are plagued by similar quality issues, or if some have quality processes that actually work.

Soldato
An excuse to blame nvidia :)

Well

They released gsync, which as we know initially only supported a single display port.
The gsync module also supported stupid high refresh rates which I consider to be a gimmick but it has caught on like fire, suddenly loads of people claim 120/144fps is the next coming.

This has made monitor vendors concentrate on gaming refresh rates as a priority and led to other aspects of monitors hitting stagnation at least at the consumer price point. For a start I believed TN was on its death bed, cheap IPS was available and the reasons for keeping TN around were minimal. But 120/144 fps revived TN as IPS struggles to keep up with those refresh rates.

I have more bad news now, my cheap IPS screen the asus one that cost £120 is now flickering occasionally and even having very occasional brief screen blackouts, I guess some dodgy capacitors or something, pretty sure its outside warranty as well. But its not had that much powered on use as its only a secondary monitor. In terms of hours used I would say its easily the shortest lived monitor I have had with power on time before some kind of problem hit. Its a Asus VS229

Man of Honour
The gsync module also supported stupid high refresh rates which I consider to be a gimmick but it has caught on like fire, suddenly loads of people claim 120/144fps is the next coming.

This has made monitor vendors concentrate on gaming refresh rates as a priority and led to other aspects of monitors hitting stagnation at least at the consumer price point. For a start I believed TN was on its death bed, cheap IPS was available and the reasons for keeping TN around were minimal. But 120/144 fps revived TN as IPS struggles to keep up with those refresh rates.

Eh? the first 120Hz LCD monitors came out around 5 years before G-Sync and BenQ had a few 144Hz panels on the market before G-Sync was released - never mind back in the day people used to swear by high 85+Hz refresh CRTs for gaming. High refresh absolutely isn't a gimmick even if how much of a bonus it is depends person to person.

Soldato
Eh? the first 120Hz LCD monitors came out around 5 years before G-Sync and BenQ had a few 144Hz panels on the market before G-Sync was released - never mind back in the day people used to swear by high 85+Hz refresh CRTs for gaming. High refresh absolutely isn't a gimmick even if how much of a bonus it is depends person to person.

they were around but the sales skyrocketed after gsync, as buying a 120fps monitor when you couldnt match the refresh rate caused issues like stuttering or tearing.

Associate
+1

Still waiting for OLED 4K 120Hz with proper HDR. At this rate I will get in by 2020 and it will still be expensive.

Yeah that'd be the dream, but I can't see it happening any time soon. I reckon the tech is there, but it's withheld :(

Soldato
The reason there are no oled monitors is the same reason we never saw any plasma ones.

I think oled is a bit more resistant to burn in than plasma though and maybe with some clever tech they can get around it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah that'd be the dream, but I can't see it happening any time soon. I reckon the tech is there, but it's withheld :(
Withheld for a reason though I would imagine. For the price they would release it right now, not many would buy. Plus I am sure with time they will work on the burn in problem and get better at dealing with it.

Associate
Withheld for a reason though I would imagine. For the price they would release it right now, not many would buy. Plus I am sure with time they will work on the burn in problem and get better at dealing with it.

Yeah, I guess... Just feels a bit like, if people are paying £1000 for an 'alright' monitor, why not just harvest those sales while they can?

Soldato
This is making me grind my teeth because it's so close to the perfect specs for my needs: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-236-sa.html

- large / 16:9 / sensible dpi
- 144hz / 1ms
- freesync 2
- wide gamut (125% sRGB)

SO CLOSE... if only it wasn't curved. I can't stick a colour calibrator onto a curved surface, and I don't want distortions in straight lines. What is the point in a wide gamut screen that can't be calibrated? :( I just want a normal flat screen with high quality and good specs. It's only 32 inch 16:9, it is not that wide and does not need curving! For goodness sake Samsung, give us a flat option! What's the problem with offering the same model in curved and flat options and seeing which one people want to buy?

And yeah, that's my opinion on current progress. There isn't much because manufacturers are charging off in directions that nobody wants them to and ignoring the things we're asking for :(

/rant, back to my old reliable 24" for another year or two.

Associate
The C32HG70 looked good at first, but I was not sure about the actual colour accuracy; the claimed wide gamut doesn't necessarily equate to being able to show accurate colours. There are a few other niggles - poor text rendering (see Limscave review), poor stand design (it's far too deep, the similar AOC AG322QCX is better, but that monitor suffers from poor colours and colour banding) and it was hard to validate the actual Freesync refresh range.

As for calibrators and curved surfaces - I am not sure the curvature is strong enough for that to be a problem; calibrators (at least mine) have a bit of foam padding which conforms to the surface.

Associate
The only real progress since 2010 is faster than 75hz refresh rate, the use of LED (instead of CCFL) backlight and curves. We already had, albiet expensive as hell higher than 4k resolution and upto 75hz (at 1280x1024 to fill VGA standards although few people knew about this).

I feel uniformity has massively improved as well, but quality control has dropped to almost laughable levels and progress apart from the above has halted, price has also shot waaaay up above average.

Caporegime
The reason there are no oled monitors is the same reason we never saw any plasma ones.

I think oled is a bit more resistant to burn in than plasma though and maybe with some clever tech they can get around it.

Newer OLED's have a pixel shifter, compensation cycle ran once you switch the TV off if its been on 4+ hours and a screensaver that at default setting comes on rather quickly if the screen is left unused, you can also just have the TV switch off after a certain period without use, people have been using a couple of year old OLEDs as PC monitors daily and have no image retention.

I dread to see how much they will charge for high hz, gsync OLED's though, probably talking £2k+ just for a 27inch 144hz 1440p one.

Back
Top Bottom