Anyone else unimpressed by monitor progress?

Associate
With HDMI 2.1+ around the corner along with variable refresh, more robust HDR standards, it's possible that TV's are going to become a far more serious option on the desktop.

Permabanned
Unimpressed? I'm frustrated! My ideal monitor, realistically, is:

IPS
32"-36"
100Hz+
Gsync or Freesync
HDR

Such a monitor is perfectly possible now, but I don't see one that ticks all those boxes yet! :mad:

Soldato
The problem with TV's is the only good ones are huge, I dont want a 55inch screen on my desk. :)

Weeeeellll... you could screw it to the wall behind your desk :D But yeah, I agree. 32" is the absolute largest thing that makes sense, imo. Which is one reason I don't get why there's very little choice at this size, because surely people love a king-size product? :o

Soldato
Does anyone else on the forum use glass covered screens?

I run some old AG Neovo glass covered monitors, the picture quality is similar to the old Diamondtron CRT's, the glass front brings contrast out and reduces eye strain. A few years ago I considered changing my monitors, looked at new monitors but decided I preferred the picture quality of what I already owned.

I think glass covered screens are better than non glass covered, but don't understand why manufactures don't produce them any more.

Associate
Does anyone else on the forum use glass covered screens?

I run some old AG Neovo glass covered monitors, the picture quality is similar to the old Diamondtron CRT's, the glass front brings contrast out and reduces eye strain. A few years ago I considered changing my monitors, looked at new monitors but decided I preferred the picture quality of what I already owned.

I think glass covered screens are better than non glass covered, but don't understand why manufactures don't produce them any more.

Think my Crossover from Korea is glass covered, can confirm it's better in almost all ways... Getting my first anti glare coated monitor today to run along side her, shall be interested to see the diff.

Soldato

Mileages vary, but try using a shiny glass screen in a room with a lot of ambient light. You sort of have to sit in the dark a lot if you want to enjoy a gloss screen, and a lot of people won't make that compromise (living room, office, etc) so the market is a bit niche. Even among gamers, not all of us want to have to use blackout curtains :)

Soldato
Mileages vary, but try using a shiny glass screen in a room with a lot of ambient light. You sort of have to sit in the dark a lot if you want to enjoy a gloss screen, and a lot of people won't make that compromise (living room, office, etc) so the market is a bit niche. Even among gamers, not all of us want to have to use blackout curtains :)

My screens use anti-reflected glass and reflection is not a problem, there is still a little reflection but only really noticeable against dark colours or blacks. Reflection on my screens is no worse then standard uncovered screens. I can pick up a high intense light source, say a uncovered bulb being reflected directly and you never want a window directly behind a display, but this is same case for regular displays. Again like any display you do have to position screens & desks for best viewing.

Been using these type of monitors for 10 years now, there is a graph half way down the page showing reflection and I reckon it's possible about correct.
http://uk.agneovo.com/uk/content/innovation_neov.asp

Soldato
Huh, didn't know there was a reduced-reflection glossy screen option... I've only seen glossy in laptops (the worst of all places!) so maybe my view on the matter is skewed.

Soldato
Huh, didn't know there was a reduced-reflection glossy screen option... I've only seen glossy in laptops (the worst of all places!) so maybe my view on the matter is skewed.

I've got a laptop with glossy and that's worse than my glass monitors.

Associate
Still waiting for a good quality 1440p, 144Hz+ IPS monitor, whenever i see new monitors announced it's either 1080p or 4K.
PG279Q?

Got mine yesterday, absolutely gorgeous. Runs at 165Hz no issue, and the reviews put its input lag lower than the TN equivalent.

Can't recommend it enough.

Associate
What makes you say the cf791 is a smear fest? I haven't noticed any smearing on mine? Actually, I did see some on the orbit lines playing elite dangerous, but I minimised this by dropping the brightness and tweaking the settings.

You are right in that there is no perfect pc monitor though. I do wish there were oled pc monitors, my 55 inch LG oled TV is fantastic.

I could pick it out in most games I played the darker the game the more obvious such as tomb raider .I think some people are more susceptible then others to this as my m8 has one and has never noticed ... but to me it looks awful I can spot in most games / objects panning , but I haven't pointed It out to him as hes happy :)

I wish we had oled monitors also as lcd tech just seems flawed to me , going from my plasma (kuro) to my pg34q I felt like I lost so much clarity in graphics and I put this down to black levels that the panels can achieve. Games just do not look as good and it feels a lot of detail is missing , the only bonus of moving to lcd was higher hz and gsync.

Associate
I purchased a Dell 3007WFP 30" in 2006 ( 2560 x 1600 ) which is still a great monitor to this day and it took me about 11 years to replace it. Honestly the progress has been pretty slow. Since about 2014/5 we have seen plenty of high refresh, high resolution panels though so it has got much better recently.

Now we have the introduction of OLED screens and such so things have picked up.

Man of Honour
PG279Q?

Got mine yesterday, absolutely gorgeous. Runs at 165Hz no issue, and the reviews put its input lag lower than the TN equivalent.

Can't recommend it enough.

Dunno if they've revised/fixed it but PG279Q had a fairly troublesome launch with some scan line type issues and some other firmware problems and while not the same level as the PG278Q fair few people had the fuzzy text issue crop up after awhile. Unless I know they've fixed them for 100% I couldn't recommend myself.

Associate
Dunno if they've revised/fixed it but PG279Q had a fairly troublesome launch with some scan line type issues and some other firmware problems and while not the same level as the PG278Q fair few people had the fuzzy text issue crop up after awhile. Unless I know they've fixed them for 100% I couldn't recommend myself.

Yeah, I read a lot about that. Watched quite a few YouTube videos about it. Took a gamble and ordered from a shop on the Bay, knowing I'd have full PayPal buyer protection etc if it went wrong. Was real anxious opening it and plugging it in!

Thug
Soldato
OP
With HDMI 2.1+ around the corner along with variable refresh, more robust HDR standards, it's possible that TV's are going to become a far more serious option on the desktop.

Hopefully. Low input is the only caveat at the moment...

Still would prefer multiple 27"+ screens than one large screen though when it comes to work..

Permabanned
We are yet to move to 8K and 16K. Doesn't make much of a sense
if manufacturers tend to strategically or tactically keep the progress
slow in order to milk the market more. Before it really stalls when 4K
appears more seriously (both on PC monitors and laptops)
and people decide that there is nothing more to be improved.

I'd rather buy higher resolutions screens than higher refresh rate ones.

Back
Top Bottom