Anyone else unimpressed by monitor progress?

Associate
Lesson I have learned is don't buy monitors with ips panels.

Backlight bleed is absolutely rife on them.

Not even a hint of bleed on my new VA panel.
I'm still confused as to whether IPS is better or worse than VA... Been reading online for the last 15 minutes and it seems both are alright, but have their negatives. Which IPS did you have?

Soldato
As for calibrators and curved surfaces - I am not sure the curvature is strong enough for that to be a problem; calibrators (at least mine) have a bit of foam padding which conforms to the surface.

That's correct; you can calibrate curved monitors without issue. I've done this with both the Spyder5ELITE and i1Display Pro. Even for models with a fairly steep curve (1500R) the colorimeter can be used no problem - it's always good practice to calibrate in a dim room regardless of the curve, but there seems to be some misunderstanding that the colorimeter has to be completely touching the screen at all points or something.

Soldato
Modern e-IPS is same as VA in my opinion on viewing angles, since many IPS screens now days actually use AUO AHVA which has VA characteristics. Every IPS consumer aimed monitor I have looked into lately even the ones that cost over £500 have e-IPS tech usually supplied by AUO.

However what I cannot really comment on is things like colour accuracy which IPS is supposed to have always been king at.

Proper IPS which seems to only be in high end screens that have a 4 figure price takes VA to the toilets, but the last consumer monitor I have seen with that quality is the now very old obsoleted dell 2209wa.

VA has better blacks than IPS due to the bleed issue IPS has, athough it is not as bad on LED backlit IPS than the older CCFL screens Thats the one area my dell really sucks at as its a CCFL IPS without the backlight filter.

Associate
Lets all take a deep breath and wish Apple the best with their venture into MicroLED displays.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1477048275

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...logy-for-possible-future-imacs-iphone-tv.html

OLED is a dead duck for large volumes of large displays. Samsung realised this and switched to QLED instead. The failure rate is too high - just ask Dell regarding their infamous 30" OLED. Pulled from market due to QA issues, returned to market months later only to have a shockingly large number of returns due to more QA issues.

Soldato
I also thinjk OLED has a viewing angle compromise when used for curved screens, remember I commented earlier about how the S2,S3, S5 all had amazing screens but my S7 has a serious regression, well the first 3 phones had no curved models, which makes me suspect something was changed to support the curvature and has caused this regression.

Soldato
I'm still confused as to whether IPS is better or worse than VA... Been reading online for the last 15 minutes and it seems both are alright, but have their negatives. Which IPS did you have?

My ips monitor is the viewsonic vp2770 led. Had to send it back several times before getting one that was tolerable.

I see numerous pictures of backlight bleed on top end ips screens that make me shudder.

I know ips has it's good points, but for me the negative outweighs the good.

VA is the best LCD tech for me.

Associate
My ips monitor is the viewsonic vp2770 led. Had to send it back several times before getting one that was tolerable.

I see numerous pictures of backlight bleed on top end ips screens that make me shudder.

I know ips has it's good points, but for me the negative outweighs the good.

VA is the best LCD tech for me.

Ah okay, fair enough.

Soldato
The C32HG70 looked good at first, but I was not sure about the actual colour accuracy; the claimed wide gamut doesn't necessarily equate to being able to show accurate colours. There are a few other niggles - poor text rendering (see Limscave review), poor stand design (it's far too deep, the similar AOC AG322QCX is better, but that monitor suffers from poor colours and colour banding) and it was hard to validate the actual Freesync refresh range.

As for calibrators and curved surfaces - I am not sure the curvature is strong enough for that to be a problem; calibrators (at least mine) have a bit of foam padding which conforms to the surface.

Ugh :/

Unfortunately my calibrator is a rather old Spyder - quite wide, with three "feet" that are the main contact points on the screen. I suspect the sensor will be lifted significantly off a surface that is anything but flat, certainly enough to get light bleeding in from the surroundings and knackering the readings.

That aside, I don't understand curved on 16:9 anyway, really doesn't require it imo. Sort of get it for ultrawide 34" and above, but I'd rather it wasn't intruding on "normal" monitor territory.

Soldato
I also think OLED has a viewing angle compromise when used for curved screens, remember I commented earlier about how the S2,S3, S5 all had amazing screens but my S7 has a serious regression, well the first 3 phones had no curved models, which makes me suspect something was changed to support the curvature and has caused this regression.

doubt it. My note 4 (non edge) was worse than my s4. My s8 is actually an improvement on the note 4. I think viewing angles suffered in general as samsung concentrated on other aspects like brightness and colour coverage..

Last edited:
Soldato
That's correct; you can calibrate curved monitors without issue. I've done this with both the Spyder5ELITE and i1Display Pro. Even for models with a fairly steep curve (1500R) the colorimeter can be used no problem - it's always good practice to calibrate in a dim room regardless of the curve, but there seems to be some misunderstanding that the colorimeter has to be completely touching the screen at all points or something.

Mine is a rather wide old Spyder 3 and there's quite a lot of potential to lift up the middle...

IMG]https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Spyd3x.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink images **

Admittedly I haven't actually tried it on a curved screen, I don't know for sure that it's a problem, but it doesn't feel like it's going to improve calibration any ^^;

*edit* Ok, fair enough, I found this article about curved screens and Spyders: http://blog.datacolor.com/david-cardinal-profiling-a-curved-monitor-or-tv-with-datacolors-spyder4/ TLDR, it can be done, just wait for night time or drape a blanket over it or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
More concerning with the CHG70 monitors is the claim to support Freesync 2 - this implies LFC, but that can't work as the actual FS range is 80-120Hz (or 80-140 with an EDID override) - it seems like a bug with the firmware in the monitor. How did it get certified (if it indeed was, and not yet another marketing lie)?

Soldato
More concerning with the CHG70 monitors is the claim to support Freesync 2 - this implies LFC, but that can't work as the actual FS range is 80-120Hz (or 80-140 with an EDID override) - it seems like a bug with the firmware in the monitor. How did it get certified (if it indeed was, and not yet another marketing lie)?

What's the point in a lower range of 80hz? Most of the time my games aren't running that fast! I want a 20hz lower band :(

Associate
Yes indeed my last 3 monitors :-

Samsung cf791 smear fest , same as 9 years ago on a Sony x4500 panel I tried cant believe in 9 years va panels haven't got better in the slightest in regards to smear

Acer predator x34 really poor build quality wobbly bezels blb , uniformity issues , washed out colours and scan lines

Asus pg34 blb scan-lines colours washed out

Pc monitors form my own view are overpriced antiquated rubbish I almost gave up gaming due to the monitors above graphics look rubbish due to low contrast ratios and grey blacks.
Thanks god I bought a OLED panel roughly a month ago now the proud owner of a 55” C7 LG which I use for gaming , motions great and the colour / clarity is spot on.

Doesent matter if its qled led or cathode or whatever else fancy marketing they wish to spin on it they are all inherently junk sorry to say :(

Last edited:
Soldato
What makes you say the cf791 is a smear fest? I haven't noticed any smearing on mine? Actually, I did see some on the orbit lines playing elite dangerous, but I minimised this by dropping the brightness and tweaking the settings.

You are right in that there is no perfect pc monitor though. I do wish there were oled pc monitors, my 55 inch LG oled TV is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom