Anyone have parking wars with their neighbours?

Soldato
This thread is ideally suited to those who are working class and must tolerate life without a driveway and/or garage.

It's quite funny how anal some of my neighbours can be. As soon as I move the car or van, a neighbour will move their car across into my spot, or move their car a few metres to be able to fit their partners car in aswell as theirs once they return from work.

Does anyone have any beef with their neighbours due to on street parking?

Caporegime
I had this in our first house.

When we moved i made sure the house we moved to had a driveway because i cant be doing with it. Its nothing fancy, just a 3 bed terrace, but one built in the 60s and thus has a front garden :D (which everybody now uses as a driveway)

At our first house. people would block others in then leave the car there and walk off, sometimes they'd be visitors cars and we'd have to knock everybodys door trying to find them, other times we'd know who'se car it was, but they wouldnt answer the door because they couldnt be bothered to move, even though they were blocking people in ! Others would deliberately park and take up 2 spaces to save a space for somebody, others would park and take up 2 spaces just due to being lazy. And then we'd get the people whod run outside to move their car closer to the house whenever a spot got free'd up. Terrible. Never, ever again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My parents have a driveway but its only big enough for 2cars, mine is the third :(

Same situation for me..

parking.jpg

I have to park in the red box, there's enough space there for my Fiesta + another car. My drive is the one with the two cars under cover on, next door use their drive for one car (it's big enough for two) and park another behind mine. Again there's enough room but I've come back late at night and found that they've plonked their Lolvo right in the middle so I can't park. No big deal really, just inconsiderate.

Caporegime
One of our old houses, we had a neighbour who would moan like mad if we parked infront of his house. Apparently he needed the space for friends / family when they visit..... which was never!
He very quickly learned that he doesnt own the road :p

Associate
Not so much parking wars but really petty neighbours. We live in a new development and like all new estates regardless of how big your house is etc you get one space and that is your lot. The developers have kindly dotted around afew visitor spaces which is nice and this is where the sadness comes in. As far as I am concerned its first come first served, if they are in the space oh well just park on the side of the road.
The neighbours on the other hand, well as soon as someone is out of the space they are out and have moved on of the cars into the space. Even caught them moaning to another neighbour because my other half had the cheek to be in the space and not them. Anyone would think its the end of the world!

Associate
This thread is ideally suited to those who are working class and must tolerate life without a driveway and/or garage.

It's quite funny how anal some of my neighbours can be. As soon as I move the car or van, a neighbour will move their car across into my spot, or move their car a few metres to be able to fit their partners car in aswell as theirs once they return from work.

Does anyone have any beef with their neighbours due to on street parking?
And I thought I was the only one this happened to, I'll nip to the shop and come back and my space is gone, talk about taking the p***.

Transmission breaker
Don
Used to get this on my old estate, luckily I had space for 2 cars on my own driveway, and a garage too. However, on the odd occasion I parked a car in a space on the road near my house, I could feel the anger building, and see the curtains twitching!
Most of the houses had at least an owned single space and a garage, but some people always try to claim the communal spaces on the road near their house as their own. Often parking in them rather than their own allocated driveway/garage spaces!

Use your own spaces, then overflow into any communal ones as required. It's fairly simple, and I think MOST people abide by it. However, the few often ruin it for the many :(

Soldato
I'm fortunate enough that my parents have a driveway big enough for about 5 cars so I don't have any problems, but I'm not looking forward to having these issues when I do eventually move out!

Soldato
Our road forks in two directions and whilst our bit is ok for parking on the whole but the other side is a bit of a nightmare.

The only time I have had problems is with my moron drunk neighbour. One christmas we came back after a few days at my parents place. On new years eve we discovered the source of that "funny smell" was our drains being blocked. I assumed that the two man hole covers on our drive would need to be accessed so I move both cars onto the road. I park them bumper to bumper so that the neighbour can still get his car in (just).

Obviously thinking that we were trying to reserve spaces for our guests on new years eve he throws a paddy (not to me though) and blocks a communal driveway needlessly. The reason, so that every time someone needed to move their car he could start throwing his arms around about how I had parked.

What made it even more ironic was that it was his drain that had blocked and it had just backed up my side because the top of our inspection cover was the low point in the system :rolleyes:

Other than that the only issue I have is with people parking directly opposite our drive which makes it impossible to get out without driving over my front lawn and bumping over the curb but that only happens once in a blue moon.

I find new developments to be the worst though. Going back 30 years households didn't have three cars, nowadays it is much more common yet to squeeze on as many houses as possible parking is at even more of a premium.

Soldato
We have a family on our cul-de-sac who appear to be running a car hire / airport parking business, they can have anything up to 11 cars sometimes strewn across their garden, across the front of their house and in all of the available visitors spaces, sometimes they overhang their driveway and have cars parked across making it very awkward to get in and out of my parking space. New cars keep turning up every day and sitting there without being moved for weeks at a time.

He's even managed to block people from driving in and out of the car park at the top of the picture by having so many cars parked end to end.

All the cars with a red dot belong to the house (arrowed) - and this is on a quiet day !

parking-1.jpg

Caporegime
holy ****

if it is a sort of airport parking service, do the owners of the cars park them there? or does the home owner? wonder if he has any vehicle car insurance?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom