Anyone into knives?

Soldato
“A recluse who spent most of his time on internet forums” more like :D

“The suspect was encouraged by what seems to be a racist, incel based forum board called Over Clockers UK…” :p

Also, I don’t understand why people need an “Every Day Carry” knife in the UK, unless they are maybe a farmer? Please feel free to educate me, but surely anything other than one of those tiny Swiss Army knives for open boxes when in a pinch is overkill, especially considering it’s only those sorts of knives you’re legally allowed to carry in the UK without a good reason for anything else…

Last edited:
Caporegime
Any recommendations for better steel? Boker have some nice designs
I quite like Manly, have a Wasp, S90V steel and UK legal for a good price:

Soldato
“The suspect was encouraged by what seems to be a racist, incel based forum board called Over Clockers UK…” :p

Also, I don’t understand why people need an “Every Day Carry” knife in the UK, unless they are maybe a farmer? Please feel free to educate me, but surely anything other than one of those tiny Swiss Army knives for open boxes when in a pinch is overkill, especially considering it’s only those sorts of knives you’re legally allowed to carry in the UK without a good reason for anything else…

I have a 1" bladed knife attached to a key ring which I use for box opening or sharpening my pencils.

It is not very manly but then maybe neither am I. :D

Man of Honour

Never hurts to be practically prepared - I think a mindset which is being eroded not for the better these days by people who'd rather divest themselves of any responsibility - you never know when you are going to need a good knife - for example I've been amongst the first to arrive at a car accident where a belt needed to be cut (fortunately other people already dealing with it before I got there).

Though these days I mostly just carry a Victorinox Classic SD with a just over inch long blade on my key chain - been pretty useful over the years especially the mini scissors. Also generally have a either a Gerber Dime or Suspension with me in a bag depending on what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a legal carry knife that could dispose of an out of control 10st pitbull XXL murder death kill dog intent on ripping your throat out and eviscerating you?

No. If only because you're going to struggle to do anything useful with said knife whilst being murder-deathed in the face :p

Soldato
Never hurts to be practically prepared - I think a mindset which is being eroded not for the better these days by people who'd rather divest themselves of any responsibility - you never know when you are going to need a good knife - for example I've been amongst the first to arrive at a car accident where a belt needed to be cut (fortunately other people already dealing with it before I got there).

Though these days I mostly just carry a Victorinox Classic SD with a just over inch long blade on my key chain - been pretty useful over the years especially the mini scissors. Also generally have a either a Gerber Dime or Suspension with me in a bag depending on what I'm doing.

I think for me personally, I like to travel so light that any knife, even a legal one would just become a nuisance. I only carry two keys with me day to day:

- House key with a bottle opener and a pair of mini nail clippers which fits nicely in that little weird jean pocket above the main one on the right.
- Car key separately, and I need to get a new small keyring for that as currently have an empty apple airtag keyring which is tatty.

The house key is always with me, and having to make sure I haven't got a knife/swiss army knife on there when going on nights out/flights/etc. etc. would be a bit of a pain for me.

I can understand a small swiss army style knife, but this whole EDC thing just seems to be yet another weird Americanism of needing to be "prepared for anything!" at all times, like you're going to be kidnapped by the Taliban while walking down Cambridge high street on a Saturday afternoon shopping for new pants (expensive "survival" pants with a built in saw and 3x3m tarp probably...)

Soldato
I can understand a small swiss army style knife, but this whole EDC thing just seems to be yet another weird Americanism of needing to be "prepared for anything!" at all times

You realise that the "small swiss army style knife" is exactly what people mean when they say "an EDC"? :p

Personally I do a lot of "outdoors" type stuff with Scouts (plus dragging my own kids up mountains etc.), so it's handy to have a little knife for cutting food, cutting bits of paracord for them to do knots, making kindling, splitting branches for firewood, giving the kids sticks when they decide they want to have a "sword" fight, etc.. I've also cut a moorhen free when I found it tangled up in fishing line by a lake. Just one of those things it's handy to have "just in case".

Soldato
You realise that the "small swiss army style knife" is exactly what people mean when they say "an EDC"? :p

Personally I do a lot of "outdoors" type stuff with Scouts (plus dragging my own kids up mountains etc.), so it's handy to have a little knife for cutting food, cutting bits of paracord for them to do knots, making kindling, splitting branches for firewood, giving the kids sticks when they decide they want to have a "sword" fight, etc.. I've also cut a moorhen free when I found it tangled up in fishing line by a lake. Just one of those things it's handy to have "just in case".

Yeah I suppose, i'm just speaking from my experience I suppose! This is GD, if you aren't slightly passive aggressive/argumentative then you might as well not bother :p

All totally reasonable reasons, but you get a free pass as your name is Haggisman, you seem burly and strong and like you'd need a big knife with you at all times! Plus you're from Birmingham, i'd recommend something bigger like a machete....

Soldato
Agree entirely.

I keep a torch, a small folding knife and Swedish fire steel in my back pack at all times. The knife is useful for cutting food, twine, opening boxes. I probably ought to carry a multi tool but I've had bed experiences with them breaking in the past. I probably want a more substantial knife for at home, mostly for whittling type things but also gutting rabbits when I get around to shooting the buggers. Also be useful for some outdoors crafts stuff with the kids like making shelters out of branches to play in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree entirely.

I keep a torch, a small folding knife and Swedish fire steel in my back pack at all times. The knife is useful for cutting food, twine, opening boxes. I probably ought to carry a multi tool but I've had bed experiences with them breaking in the past. I probably want a more substantial knife for at home, mostly for whittling type things but also gutting rabbits when I get around to shooting the buggers. Also be useful for some outdoors crafts stuff with the kids like making shelters out of branches to play in.

And now I have an image of you shooting pet rabbits in your living room...

Soldato

In GD, I very much doubt that.

I'm not adverse to knives as tools and have several of various shapes and sizes. However I did take the tiny Swiss army folder on my desert run, more than adequate for a week long self sufficient jolly.

Last edited:
Soldato

After making fun of you all, guess who's girlfriend bought him a beautiful Leatherman Signal for his Birthday at the weekend :cry:

Now I just need to decide between 9mm or .45ACP for my EDC set up for my office job :p

Soldato
After making fun of you all, guess who's girlfriend bought him a beautiful Leatherman Signal for his Birthday at the weekend :cry:

That's very nice; looks like a good all round hiking/camping tool, especially with the addition of the fire striker.

Would point out that doesn't appear to be a UK legal EDC as it says in the spec the blade locks?

Now I just need to decide between 9mm or .45ACP for my EDC set up for my office job :p

.50 BMG or go home

Last edited:
Soldato
That's very nice; looks like a good all round hiking/camping tool, especially with the addition of the fire striker.

Would point out that doesn't appear to be a UK legal EDC as it says in the spec the blade locks?

.50 BMG or go home

Yeah I won't be having it in my pocket when going to the Mrs. in London on the train that's for sure, but in the work bag for doing bits in the warehouse or camping :)

.50BMG sounds like a good idea tbh! :D

Back
Top Bottom