• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Man of Honour
From what I've seen so far, it'll be slightly faster than a RX 5500 for more, so £200 (4GB) - £250 (8GB), then £250 and £300 10 minutes after release :o

Soldato
From what I've seen so far, it'll be slightly faster than a RX 5500 for more, so £200 (4GB) - £250 (8GB), then £250 and £300 10 minutes after release :o
I'm thinking £230 and £280 for the 5500 and 5500XT as AMD now seems to replace last gen cards with a similar priced performing card so the 5500XT will perform around 5600XT level and will be priced the same.

Soldato
Its a £299 card all day long. Max. OK I let typical ROG STRIXX version be £349...
I watched the GN review earlier and he found it was on average 5% faster than a 5600XT for 18% more cash even at the MSRP price so is a regression over last gen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I watched the GN review earlier and he found it was on average 5% faster than a 5600XT for 18% more cash even at the MSRP price so is a regression over last gen.
AMD are getting very greedy as time goes by it seems. Lisa is taking this “we are not a budget brand” thing too seriously :p

I am like 90% sure I will end up on an Nvidia FE card again next gen due to how uncompetitive they have become with GPU’s here in the UK. I liked the old AMD better, offer same or slightly worse performance than Nvidia for a lot less. Would always buy AMD as a result. Was like 4 gens of cards exclusively with AMD. That was a very long time and would have been longer had I not got an nvidia card to play Flight Simulator at the time.

Soldato
AMD are getting very greedy as time goes by it seems. Lisa is taking this “we are not a budget brand” thing too seriously :p

I am like 90% sure I will end up on an Nvidia FE card again next gen due to how uncompetitive they have become with GPU’s here in the UK. I liked the old AMD better, offer same or slightly worse performance than Nvidia for a lot less. Would always buy AMD as a result. Was like 4 gens of cards exclusively with AMD. That was a very long time and would have been longer had I not got an nvidia card to play Flight Simulator at the time.

You know Nvidia are doing exactly the same thing ?

Soldato
I think the only thing that makes upgrading at the moment worth it is the price that should be gotten for the card that would be replaced.

That's how I justified my upgrade this week, although I'm still to list my RX 480 for sale.

Associate

Well according to MLD in that video he is saying Nvidia has put a halt on production so to keep prices high and when the refresh comes out they will have a higher MSRP basically setting up next gen to be priced way higher than this gen now. Normally don't like his made up rubbish but from what I'm seeing at retailers regarding stocks of cards it looks like it's happening and something that will be done so next gen moves up a tier or more in price.

He says AIBS and distributors have been told by Nvidia there will be very little stock soon, basically nothing till the refresh comes out with a nice new MSRP so they get the larger slice and not the AIBs,distributors or retailers.
What I like about AMD is that they don’t make their line-up messy with too many SKUs or Super refreshes which are solely intended for price corrections. We only have 2 cards at the top, 6800XT and 6900XT. Nvidia has the 3080 10GB, 3080 Super 12GB, 3080 Ti 12GB, 3090 24gb and 3090 Ti 24GB all of which perform within a few percentages of each other. If nvidia had used those chips for the 3080 instead, supply would have been so much better but they are greedy.

Associate
Its terrible all this is going on. Considering its well over 12 months since these things have been released and we are still up dicky's meadow.

I hate companies at times when they are doing such duche moves, makes me consider to never to buy stuff off them again. Short term gains with no thought of long term stability. I've had nvidia cards since the very first card they made (had stuff before them too).

I decided to miss out on another suppliers bbq where quite a bit was at msrp prices. They then put prices up to eye watering amounts.

My 1080 will have to be good enough for the time being, feel really sorry for anybody thats been in the limbo without a card.

Soldato
What I like about AMD is that they don’t make their line-up messy with too many SKUs or Super refreshes which are solely intended for price corrections. We only have 2 cards at the top, 6800XT and 6900XT. Nvidia has the 3080 10GB, 3080 Super 12GB, 3080 Ti 12GB, 3090 24gb and 3090 Ti 24GB all of which perform within a few percentages of each other. If nvidia had used those chips for the 3080 instead, supply would have been so much better but they are greedy.

While I agree that Nvidia's segmentation is a money move, "supply" in general should not be hurt much. The new SKU's use a little more ram to make but it's still basically the same number of 102 dies in the wild. The higher prices also help keep them in stock longer. Many of AMD's cards have been priced high enough to balance out demand and are readily available because of this.

With Covid and mining, the damand was just sky high at launch prices. The mining denand s particularly difficult to meet because miners can use a LOT more cards than a gamer. If the ROI is good, they will buy as many as their electrical power situation will allow for.

The demand from miners is impossible to meet when prices are set for gamers, and profits from mining are as high as they have been.

LHR seems to he helping a little as indicated by the price disparity on the used market between LHR and non-LHR cards.

Back
Top Bottom