• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
damage caused by things intrinsically unsuited to human physiology.

Neither is good for you. I moved away from m/kb because it was doing my tendonitis no good many years ago. Controller is very forgiving for me i found through the years, much easier to sit up straight too. RTS games are the only time i use a mouse now. Though preference wise controller and mouse is my favourite.

Man of Honour
Neither is good for you. I moved away from m/kb because it was doing my tendonitis no good many years ago. Controller is very forgiving for me i found through the years, much easier to sit up straight too. RTS games are the only time i use a mouse now. Though preference wise controller and mouse is my favourite.

How do your thumbs manage? I can tolerate maybe an hour using a controller, but I'll have some pain for days in my right thumb so I know it's making things worse. Controllers are bad enough to have spawned a new medical problem, so I think they're worse than a mouse and keyboard. Good quality, well designed mouse and keyboard (especially mouse) and wrist rests should prevent most if not all health issues caused by using a mouse and keyboard. Nothing can prevent health issues caused by using a controller as the problem in inherent in the design - it places excessive demands on thumbs.

A choice would be better for all customers, anyway. It would also be better for console makers and console game developers because it would increase the size of the market and thus the amount of profit to be made. The only reason I've seen to explain why they don't do it is that they have a fixation on controllers that blinds them to anything else.

Associate
How do your thumbs manage? I can tolerate maybe an hour using a controller, but I'll have some pain for days in my right thumb so I know it's making things worse. Controllers are bad enough to have spawned a new medical problem, so I think they're worse than a mouse and keyboard. Good quality, well designed mouse and keyboard (especially mouse) and wrist rests should prevent most if not all health issues caused by using a mouse and keyboard. Nothing can prevent health issues caused by using a controller as the problem in inherent in the design - it places excessive demands on thumbs.
It's been a long time since i've gamed for more than 2hrs, however i've never noticed an issue with a controller for a long period of time, except my body tends to go full on lazy mode from there on. Thumb wise i've never had an issue, i guess my thumbs are flexible enough? I found the Xbox One controller however to be utter turd for ergonomics, the bumpers literally felt as if my fingers wanted to dislocate. The 360 controller is great for my hands. I think one reason why i controller bodes better with me is because my hands sit much lower than when i'm using m/kb, this helps with blood flow i guess, i've had to pause RTS matches because my hand has gone numb before. As with mice, controllers also require them to fit people's hands naturally. I tried 3 mice before settling on my G403 mouse after my MS mouse broke, and it was the best one i could find for my use, but yet the side buttons are positioned poorly for me. I think you probably just have thumb sockets that are different to the majority.

But mobile phones should really be the target when it comes to RSI injuries from technology. I wonder how many people get arthritis when they're older in their fingers/hands/thumbs from mobile phone use.

A choice would be better for all customers, anyway. It would also be better for console makers and console game developers because it would increase the size of the market and thus the amount of profit to be made. The only reason I've seen to explain why they don't do it is that they have a fixation on controllers that blinds them to anything else.

I'm all for more choice, the FPS competitive player base may be funny about playing pad vs mouse however. But if it means cost increases then not so great, whilst they all have USB support now so only software side implementation, we're still seeing removal of previous audio options that were available, and the push to get rid of disk drives as well as other things. I think it's unlikely we'd see more support for kb/m, i just don't think the demand is there (outside of GPU crisis reaction), controllers work for the majority.

Man of Honour
[..] I think you probably just have thumb sockets that are different to the majority.

Doubtful. It's a common problem, common enough to be a medical condition named both formally and informally:

https://esportshealthcare.com/gamers-thumb-de-quervain/

But mobile phones should really be the target when it comes to RSI injuries from technology. I wonder how many people get arthritis when they're older in their fingers/hands/thumbs from mobile phone use.

Rather than arthritis, it's the same medical condition for the same reason - excessive use of thumbs.

I'm all for more choice, the FPS competitive player base may be funny about playing pad vs mouse however. But if it means cost increases then not so great, whilst they all have USB support now so only software side implementation, we're still seeing removal of previous audio options that were available, and the push to get rid of disk drives as well as other things. I think it's unlikely we'd see more support for kb/m, i just don't think the demand is there (outside of GPU crisis reaction), controllers work for the majority.

Adding kb+m support to a game shouldn't be a cost issue. It's not like it's a new thing that needs to be developed and even if it was it would only be software so a game developer would only have to do it once. Modern consoles already have everything needed to support kb+m. Some degree of demand does exist. Even before the current ludicrous price of PC hardware, consoles were an adequate substitute at a lower price and lack of kb+m support on console games was a barrier to some people who would otherwise have switched.

Soldato
It's educated guesses at best, MLID makes a ton of guesses in his videos and even highlights them as things he is uncertain about.

If he didn't do this, he'd be at risk of being wrong about 90% of the stuff he stated as fact.

I believe that real leaks from companies are actually pretty rare, and generally only happen when the company decides not to prevent them anymore (maybe a week or 2 before release).

None of the YT tech channels pointed out that Nvidia would find a way to double the TFlop count of their next generation of cards in advance, kind of a big deal.

even "a stopped clock is right twice a day", so educated guesses can sometimes be true if you make enough of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
you must be new to his channel ; 3 years of accurate commentry.

Even if you give some the benefit of the doubt and say he is sometimes right.. past couple of years has been enough to show he isn't winging it. Not sure why grumble about it, if you dont like the fella so be it, you have to credit people when they are right just as much as you laugh at them when they are wrong. I would listen to what he has to say way over anyone on a forum that struggles to get a current GPU...

Soldato
It's educated guesses at best, MLID makes a ton of guesses in his videos and even highlights them as things he is uncertain about.

If he didn't do this, he'd be at risk of being wrong about 90% of the stuff he stated as fact.

I believe that real leaks from companies are actually pretty rare, and generally only happen when the company decides not to prevent them anymore (maybe a week or 2 before release).

None of the YT tech channels pointed out that Nvidia would find a way to double the TFlop count of their next generation of cards in advance, kind of a big deal.

even "a stopped clock is right twice a day", so educated guesses can sometimes be true if you make enough of them.

TFlop of tensor cores is a known (and it depends on what math, fp64, fp32, fp16, int 8 etc). Its about turning off and on a block for what math you want.

Associate
Doubtful. It's a common problem, common enough to be a medical condition named both formally and informally:

https://esportshealthcare.com/gamers-thumb-de-quervain/

Rather than arthritis, it's the same medical condition for the same reason - excessive use of thumbs.

Adding kb+m support to a game shouldn't be a cost issue. It's not like it's a new thing that needs to be developed and even if it was it would only be software so a game developer would only have to do it once. Modern consoles already have everything needed to support kb+m. Some degree of demand does exist. Even before the current ludicrous price of PC hardware, consoles were an adequate substitute at a lower price and lack of kb+m support on console games was a barrier to some people who would otherwise have switched.

Funnily enough, that condition is the same as the condition i mentioned that i had and comes back with repetitive use of a mouse. So yeah, gaming be bad for people when in long sessions, but i did mention that originally.

You're the first person i've known to dislike controllers based on pain rather than preference. If Sony and MS see the gap in the market and it's plausible they'll implement m/kb support, but for the time being those who don't want to use a controller will just have forgo another console generation.

Soldato

You'd have to be playing a heck of a lot of it the only time I got sore thumbs or muscles was hours hammering the PS4 trying to beat my best scores on GT4, it can't be worse than spending hours with hands, fingers stretched across a keyboard for hours at an end I know I got sore fingers, aching wrists etc from keyboard and FPS games

When did he state anything as hard fact?

Last edited:
Associate
As odd as it may sound, always used joysticks to play.
Very rare occasions used mouse/keyboard, but I guess it is because for ages, before owning a decent PC for gaming, always used videogames.
May offend some people :D, but for PC I use the Xbox joystick and own a PS5.
Joysticks, despite being larger than before, still nice to use, even for long sessions playing.

Back to the topic, today a drop of RTX 3060ti, 3070ti and 3080ti, after almost a month. The 70 and 80 stayed available for quite a while. I guess the regular version (non-Ti) is as good as EOL now.
For its MSRP, isn't cheap, true, but one can justify. But the scalping prices around, not restricted to eBay only, sadly, very hard to justify.
Even the RX 6600 which is a true entry-level for gaming, at 370 quid is a hard sell. The XT just under 500 quid, faster but nearly 50% more expensive, same case.
For those desperate to play, and don't mind joystick, the XBOX S seems like a good alternative, as for it's 250 quid, I can't see a decent card (new) available. But for those willing to play the lottery on second hand cards, it's a different story. Personally I'm not comfortable risking a trashed card, knowing how lucky I'm picking lemons.

Associate

I've used controller thumb sticks for 20+ years and never had an issue with thumb pain even over marathon gaming sessions. I don't think this is a common issue and an inherent problem with the design of controllers.

Back
Top Bottom