• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
I'm currently running a 1080ti which is having a few "hiccups" and sadly I use my machine for work.

I'm considering just buying a 3080ti as they're available, although for the region of £1500 - £1800 (wtf).

What's everyones thoughts on waiting for the new 12gb 3080 in Jan and suffering till then (assuming my card holds up) or just taking the pain now.

P.s It's a business purchase, but I hate getting ripped off.

Associate
I can't see them doing any cards in a sale, there simply isn't the need for it tbh.

I'm not sure I can hold off till 40XX series cards and really, my only conern is buying say a 3080ti now and it being surparsed by something in January. Struggling to find more info on the new cards and prices etc (I imagine it simply isn't published). Equally, there is always the chance (and more likely at the moment), that the new 3080 updates to 12gb could be delayed.

Associate
I don't think we will see any new gpu's till mid 2022 or even later market is a mess and they will really come under fire if they release a whole new refresh right now

Soldato
the whole gpu market is ****** for another year yet, doesnt matter who launches what, it sell out in mins and prices will rocket as per the this/last yr

My thoughts entirely.

Hence why I'm spending the money that I have saved (probably next Jan/Feb), on an Alder Lake upgrade.
For the same money as a tier 4 Graphics card (say a 3060ti)... I can get an I5-12600k, mid range motherboard and a PCIe 4.0 Nvme SSD (doesn't need to be too big, as it will only have the OS on it).
Come to think of it, I'll probably have some money left.

Crazy times..

PS. Obviously we would be looking at Windows 11. No problem, as I have a retail Windows 10 key.

Associate
I wonder if ocuk is asked would they have to break down thier prices giving purchase price from manufacturer to retail pricing??

I'm just really curious as to who is bumping these prices up so high

Associate
I'd love to give OcUK all my custom, they have done nothing but treat me well over the years. Sometimes I even pay that little extra to buy here because of that fact, but If it comes down to some of the differences you see now, not a chance, gonna have to go with the place that saves you the money.

Man of Honour
I can't see them doing any cards in a sale, there simply isn't the need for it tbh.

I'm not sure I can hold off till 40XX series cards and really, my only conern is buying say a 3080ti now and it being surparsed by something in January. Struggling to find more info on the new cards and prices etc (I imagine it simply isn't published). Equally, there is always the chance (and more likely at the moment), that the new 3080 updates to 12gb could be delayed.

The 40XX cards won't be any better - ludicrous prices and limited availability. The pricing will probably be worse rather than better because it'll be a new range. It's already been established that record profits can be made by selling fewer cards at vastly higher prices, so they will continue to do exactly that.

If you have an unreliable card that you rely on for work, you already have a more serious reason for concern than how long it will take for a graphics card to be surpassed by the next generation of cards. Your 1080Ti is presumably adequate for the job (since you're using it and it seems that you'd be content to continue using it if it wasn't failing) and the 3080Ti is a fair bit more powerful. So would it really matter if a 40XX card more powerful than a 3080Ti came out in January? Would it matter more than you being left without any card because your 1080Ti failed and you didn't have a replacement? In any case, rumours don't put the 40XX release until at least mid 2022. There doesn't seem to be enough fuss and fanfare yet for it to be sooner than that. Probably. Maybe nvidia will have a "SURPRISE!" moment and release it soon. But I wouldn't bet on that. They're making record profits selling 30XX cards at ludicrous prices. Why rock that boat? Why not just release slightly faster 30XX models and increase the prices even more? Like they're doing for the 3080Ti, for example.

Associate
How can the justify that kind of mark up, explains why they have so much stock still.

I would happily pay a bit extra due to the current demand but £400 extra is plain naughty of them
Well, we don't really know what their mark ups are.

(Not that I am that interested myself as currently all cards far beyond what I am willing to pay anyway.)

But for argument's sake if retailer A and B sell the same card for £930 and £660 then it appears A is a rip-off.

However, if A bought theirs at £800 and B bought theirs at £400, then in both in terms of absolute profit and margin, B is making more money.

Not saying that anything remotely like that is what happened, but it is always possible.

Now, we could argue that A's buyer would have been crazy to buy their stock at double what B got them for (and which we might imagine is the regular pre-shortage price), but aside from hindsight we simply don't know. Maybe A's buyer knew they could shift them, had reliable information that the next shipment would be even more expensive and very limited.

Lots of ifs/buts/maybes so in the end we the consumers don't know what is going on.

While all retailers love high margins, the lack of GPUs will and has impacted other business. With Black Friday and xmas coming up, could an offer on a PSU/case/RAM/etc. tempt someone who is waiting on a GPU? Or will they either buy nothing, horde parts while they wait for the warranty to run (or a GPU to show up); or just buy a console?

Associate
The 40XX cards won't be any better - ludicrous prices and limited availability. The pricing will probably be worse rather than better because it'll be a new range. It's already been established that record profits can be made by selling fewer cards at vastly higher prices, so they will continue to do exactly that.
There isn't no point buy a PC now too expensive, because now it's all changing for PC's the new GB motherboards will support PCI-E 4.0/5.0 GPU's, DDR5 ram, 12/11gen CPU so the new 40XX cards will be PCI-E 5.0, so that is coming maybe mid 2022/23 like with all new tect there's a price to pay and won't be cheap:D

Last edited:
Associate
the problem is many gamers wants to upgrade there old systems but they are in the middle of a price war so many will panic buy just like car fuel and business have taken advantage of that as now we come out of the pandemic

Associate
I came here as just bought a new monitor and knew the about the price increases but haven't really paid too much attention to the actual prices and just checked on the 3090 prices.... holy cow!!!
Just over a year ago, I paid just over £1500 with just a few weeks wait and they are almost double now! Absolute madness.

Back
Top Bottom